Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best capacitors for Tone?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by simplemarc, Dec 12, 2011.

1. simplemarc

simplemarc TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2011
    hawaii
    I'm getting ready to start a build and I was told .47ucf is the best for teles but I'm not sold. I would like to hear what you think.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    buy it! Now you're sold.... ;)

Here's something to consider... there are only about 100 million Teles (or variants) out there with .047 mf (also considered as .05 mf) caps in em...that should tell ya something..

Now invariably someone will pop up and say they yanked the stock cap and put something else in there... and it's better.... BULL.... it's better for THEM... if it was universally better... those 100 million would have it too.....

There are 7 billion people on the planet... most all of 'em walk around on their feet... there are a few that will do a hand stand and walk around on their hands.. that dosen't mean it's better... and truth be known... when alone... they're on their feet... and if not... sooner or later, they return to what works best... walking on their feet....

Go with what's time tested and proven...

.047 is fine.... and if you can play there is no one anywhere that's gonna suggest that you change your cap. Of course, that's true if ya CANNOT play too. 'cause no one gives a hoot about hearing ya . . .Cap or no cap...

Oh . .. and making up your mind shouldn't hold ya up... once the project is completed.... changing the cap only takes a buck at Radio Shack... removing 2 screws . . . a solder gun and 2 minutes....

Ron Kirn

Glaubdavid likes this.

3. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    The .047 is too heavy. I like something lighter.

4. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    use a smaller .047 . . I have some that only weigh a few grams... ;)

r

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Actually, you should here what you think.

Ron, you are a hoot !!

6. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Caps and other crap:

TVMA
    UFW 2

treetop flyer likes this.

7. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2009
    Castlewood,VA
    The right value. As Ron pointed out, .047 is standard. Want less treble rolloff? Use a .022. Want more treble rolloff for a darker tone? Use a .068 or a 0.10. The only material I would avoid is ceramic discs, only because they tend to absorb water from humid air, which alters their value.

WillBuildResto likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    After doing some cap changing myself, and only being barely able to hear a .44 magnum fired at close range, even I can tell the difference between .047 in a '52 which results in mucho mud, and a .015 cap, (which of course could be anything) than the .047 I pulled out. The .015 cap purchased at a reguler electronics store(whatever that is, but not RS) made the tone control much more usable. Before changing, if I rolled off the tone a 1/4 tone mucho mud, now I can use the tone control over about a 5/8 sweep with an assortment of treble, before enountering ordinary, run of the mill mud. Not mucho mud.

This is of course not a scientific study, but the results impressed me enough that I will probably buy a box of caps and go door to door offering my services as a cap installer to young housewives who play the tele whose husbands are at work.

9. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2011
    Santa Clarita
    Are you talking European or African .47ucf capacitors?

ghettoraid likes this.

10. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    or are those Metric or SAE micro farads.... :twisted:

here's the deal... the cap in a guitar lets high frequencies leak out... to oblivion... once gone they are not retrievable... like, by turning the tone control...on the amp . . the more highs that leak off, the more "bassy" or "dark"..the sound is..

analogy.. the cap is like a hole in a hose./.... the water leaking out are high frequencies first and the bigger the hole ( large value cap) the more water(lower frequencies) can leak off....

what made the hole (kind of cap) is meaningless, only it's size.

rk

11. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I weighed my '52, it still weighs 7lbs and I went from a .047 to a .015. Hmm, the treble must leak out before I can get it to the scale.

12. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    I use .022, and it is better!

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    The last one I used measured .0504883 µF. It's 7.421914893617% too dark, so I'm going to change the pickups.:cool:

14. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2010
    canada
    I have to agree whit surfoverb, .022 to my ear in my opinion is the best but we all have different opinions.

Tele Outlaw likes this.

15. brattmatter

brattmatter Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2011
    New Jersey
    The Flux capacitor. It requires 1.21 gigawatts of electrical power to operate. Anything less would reduce the flux dispersal. Gives a nice, fluxing tone.

Sorry...couldn't resist. My Teles are all .47. And when you buy a Fender pot at the box stores, it comes with a .47 cap. That's gotta count for something.

16. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Sorry...couldn't resist. My Teles are all .47. And when you buy a Fender pot at the box stores, it comes with a .47 cap. That's gotta count for something.

That's because Mr. Fender went to the same garage sale that Uncle Fezzter went to, only he got the box with 700,000 caps in it, Fender has been trying for a long time to get rid of 'em all.

AngelDeville likes this.

17. 3screw

3screw Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2011
    sacramento ca
    I think you guys who keep typing .47 cap mean .047uf.

18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I think you guys who keep typing .47 cap mean .047uf.

But if you think it's really important, try a .3300pf, and see what you think! You may be pleasently surprised at what you find. Uncle Fezzter is pretty much right, (isn't he always?) it doesn't really matter what you put in there, it's a Tele, it'll sound pretty good no matter what you put in it.

19. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Just go ahead and build then try some different values. All will depend on all the various
    elements of the build and then what your ear likes. You don't even have to use a
    capacitor if you like the sound without.

20. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I think you mean a .033 cap... Right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.