Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Best Byoc compression

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by EuroBailey, Aug 12, 2017.

1. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Just looking for some advice on
    A) preference
    B) build complexity

I am looking at building my first pedal as a tiny project with my dad. He isn't big on pedals (e.g. Doesn't own one) but we thought it might be fun and I thought a compression pedal might be a good place to start?

On the current site there are a number of options ...and my choice will come down to ease of build and people's preferences for compressor types ?

The main ones seem to be
    1. 5 knob compressor - might be overkill for our needs?
    2. Vintage compressor - seems to be a popular choice and based off a Ross compressor . Can be a noisy pedal ?
    3. Lil comp kit - based off a dyna comp. looks a popular choice, and an easy build . This is probably what I am leaning towards ...
    4. Mimosa jr - transparent compressor.

There are a few others however probably beyond what we require and possibly a
    More difficult build.

Any help / previous experience would be great :)

2. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    For a first build I'd do a boost or fuzz/dirt. Not only because of ease but because you hear something more spectacular at the end of it. Unless you're really into comp.

Obsessed and EuroBailey like this.

3. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Yeah, i had read that previously but I own a number of drive / fuzz pedals don't own a compressor . I can probably be swayed either way as the pedal might just live with my dad but keen to learn about the compressors listed above in any case.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    I built a 2 knob comp and eventually modded it to have a trim pot and attack knob, so I would recommend a more complex one. I love the Ross circuit but I mostly use a Mooer yellow comp nowadays for subtlety.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Chicken pickin', probably the Dynacomp.

More transparent, look at the optical.

Both kits look to be pretty simple with basic skills.

BYOC kits have good instructions and a good support forum.

EuroBailey likes this.

7. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I did the two knob and it was pretty straightforward. You also can order the extra components to tweak it and hear the difference.

EuroBailey likes this.

8. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    This is the vintage upgrade kit right? Did you end up doing this? What is the difference ?

9. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Yes. It's a slight difference, you can go back and forth between them without resoldering so it's cool, I ended up leaving the normal one on.

EuroBailey likes this.

10. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    build the ross comp to saffron squeeze specs, well worth it

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +1 Yup, I totally agree. I can't imagine trying to troubleshoot a compressor as my first pedal. Don't do it.

12. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    Large beaver from
    Byoc too much? Stick with a simple distortion?

13. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    TC Electronic Hypergravity Compressor ALL THE WAY

14. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    I'm
    Not sure I can make that one ?

15. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    Good luck trying to build that.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I built a 5-knob,, which is also Ross-based, and it wasn't difficult at all. Of course, I've built several different pedals, including a scratch build, so I've gotten some experience. Have you done any builds or would this be your first?

17. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    This friggin thing: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/03/really-cheap-compressor.html

* Sorry it's not on BYOC but it's easy to build and is exceptional IMO.

I built this about a year ago thinking I'd build a fancy pants 5 knob compressor later but this one does exactly what I want and it's really quiet (doesn't introduce noise).

I set it like a regular 2 knob compressor/sustainer box and it really works well.

It's optical and I happened to have the two green LED's and the proper LDR in my parts bin. Here's a build gallery to see what you're getting into with this one: http://www.tdpri.com/media/albums/really-cheap-compressor.1838/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 3:27 AM

18. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2012
    melbourne australia
    This would be my first .. so probably needs to be simple...?

19. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    after looking at their site, I would recommend this: https://buildyourownclone.com/products/opticomp

It's similar to the one I recommended earlier but it's a full kit so it should be a simple build. It's got 2 knobs: volume & sustain so it should work well right out of the gate at a 3 o'clock - 9 o'clock setting and the optical compressors really are impressive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.