Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Bar Songs for 21-35 Age Group

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by crawdad, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    Weezer: Currently receiving airplay for their new singles, "I'm Your Daddy" and "I Want You To." Scheduled for Bonnaroo.

Green Day: Currently receiving airplay for their new single, "21st Century Breakdown." 2010 Grammy for rock album of the year. Touring in support of their album.

Cake: Finishing recording of album due for release later this year. Actively touring.

OK Go: Currently receiving airplay for their new singles, "WTF" and "This Too Shall Pass," from their new album "Of the Blue Colour of the Sky." Touring in support of their album.

BTW, if the part where I noted that the bands themselves had been around longer than many of the college students didn't clue you in - I know they've been around a while. That was kind of the point.

The reason I mentioned those bands was because they were the ones specifically mentioned as possible sources for the "new" music the OP wanted to play. Except for Cake - but someone said Kaiser Chiefs, which sounds kinda like Pressure Chief, and there's a current TV show that uses a Cake song as its theme - so there!

2. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Culver City CA
    Anything by Garth Brooks. Or Brooke Shields.

3. minmei

minmei TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2010
    NorthLA
    green day and offspring

wow

try

no doubt / gwen stefani

nickel back

staind

lady gaga

incubus

rage against the machine

red hot chili peppers

bare naked ladies

big bad voodoo daddy

reel big fish

pennywise

social distortion

GnR

Nirvana

save ferris

smashing pumpkins

whitestripes

jimmy eat world

my chemical romance

tool

korn

sum 41

lifehouse

kelly clarkson

kings of leon

one republic

daugtry

coldplay

jason mraz

linkin park

radiohead

bon jovi

pink

violent femmes

bon jovi

80's 90 stuff like U2, depeche mode, ramones, modern primitive radio gods, eagle eye cherry, police, whitesnake, twisted sister, quiet riot are well known

nine inch nails

metallica (black snake album)

ingrid michaelson

colbie caillat

rise against

paramore

metric

black eye peas ( they have a few you can go guitar)

lady antebellum

Matisyahu

maroon 5

muse

silver sun pick ups

verve pipe

nick jonas / jonas brothers

John Mayer

Jack Johnson

adam lambert

taylor swift

ludacris / timbaland

katy perry

rihanna

50 cent / 2 pac / dr dre / snoop dog

yellowcard

foo fighters

fray

weezer

cake

beck

seether

some of these require some creative artistic license like some of the rap tunes (you could use a bass and drummer . . .) / lady vocals . . . but

also look at the song lists for DJ hero, rockband, and guitar hero, we play those games alot and know those songs.

4. firefuocco

firefuocco Tele-Holic

May 19, 2008
    Cornwall UK
    Crawdad I am sure we will all be interested to find out at some point in the future what new songs your band does try out in the bars, what works & what doesn't. Good luck.

5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Actually it's not that hard to play, it's just hard to play and sing at the same time. If you've got someone who can sing while you play the guitar parts, it's fun. However, that's a good tune to drop on the Mayer-haters. To play AND simultaneously sing "Neon" requires undeniable talent, even if you're just covering it.

I think a lot of John Mayer stuff will work, but wasn't sure if that's what the OP was looking for. I also like "Waiting On The World To Change", as that's got some nice Curtis Mayfield, type references... Mayers take on "Bold As Love" opens the door to a whole lot of Hendrix-inspired wankery. And yes, as a guitar player, I enjoy wankery... :lol:

Great suggestion. I also 2nd the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" and the Jets' "Are You Gonna Be My Girl". Fun, high energy tunes that are easy to play. At least they're a lot easier to play than John Mayer... ;)

6. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    People like a good band that does good songs well. I don't think typically they care that much about the band's age. Appearance is a factor, but ultimately, if you're bringing it, no one cares.

I was in a pretty popular local cover band in a town of about half a million people. Our audience ranged in age from 21 to late 40s/occasionally some 50-somethings. The younger set did like a lot of 80s stuff we did (we didn't do "classic rock"), but they also liked newer stuff too. We were a 5-piece, and two of us were in our 40s, the rest in their mid-to-late 30s. The songs we did that went over the best included songs by the Strokes, the Killers and Franz Ferdinand--no one seemed to mind that our singer was 42.

Now, if you're 40 or 50 years old and up there trying to act like a 20-something singer... yeah, that can pretty easily flop.

7. Colo Springs E

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    +1. 80s music has most definitely survived the test of time.

I also found it hilarious that CHICKS knew every word to "Girls" by the Beastie Boys and would fight for the chance to yell into the mic, "Jockin' Mike D to my dismay!"

LOL

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010

8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    +1.

9. Colo Springs E

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    We did "Red Light Indicates" and "Fake Tales of SF," loved doing those songs!

10. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    There is an 80's revival, so the younger side of the audience digs those tunes. The people my age (mid-30's) grew up with that kind of music and either like it, or at least recognize it. So it covers the basic demographic of a typical bar (at least here). I generally see bands get the best reaction in the bars around here playing 80's based sets, with some classic rock standards thrown in, and a few 90's tunes.

11. firefuocco

firefuocco Tele-Holic

May 19, 2008
    Cornwall UK
    WOW!!!! I think I should move to Colorado! They must be very cool girls.

12. firefuocco

firefuocco Tele-Holic

May 19, 2008
    Cornwall UK
    I think the 80s revival is likely to die reasonably quick now we are in the teenies. Fashion is dictated by 20 year olds. They always think the music and fashion was cool when they were born so they look back to see what was good 20 years ago.
    The 70s had 50s revival e.g. Happy Days, in the 80s we looked to the 60s, 90s to the 70s, etc ergo this decade will see a 90s revival (at some stage anyway).

13. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Glad your band's doing well. One little observation: you might want to proofread your setlist. There are many typos: Only two Es in Presley, one N in Nirvana, one R in Mary Jane...

And OP, don't overlook the idea of "repurposing" pop "product."
    Richard Thompson did a great version of Oops I did It Again.
    (He'd been doing it for a while by the time this video was shot, so the audience was kind of waiting for the joke. But in the earlier live versions, you could tell the audience didn't catch on until the chorus...)

14. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Sackville
    Blister in the Sun get a HUGE response here!

15. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Ya, you can't go wrong with that one.

16. Willandthewonts

Willandthewonts Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2013
    Palms, California
    Just play good music that you like. If you're honest about it, the crowd will like it.

17. choupique

choupique Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2009
    Jarreau, LA
    Up until a few years ago my friends band used to play Achy, Breaky Heart. The chicks loved it.

18. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama
    Robert Plant just came out with an album a couple years back...the Who just played the Super Bowl. The Black Crowes just came out with a new album and i just saw them in concert...Dave Matthews band is on tour now!

My point is...although these bands are still around...these "college kids" you speak of aren't listening to them or recognizing them as new bands. If i asked a jury of my peers to list 50 new bands...none of those groups you mentioned would be among them.

19. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago

hey, i used mr. green! that's supposed to indicate i'm just being a smart ass.

20. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    My vote for a fun song from the right era everyone knows:
    'Been Caught Stealing' - Jane's Addiction

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.