Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Bar Songs for 21-35 Age Group

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by crawdad, Mar 1, 2010.

1. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    He actually didn't specify a time period, he just wants music the crowd can relate to. Being 33, and visiting the bars in my area, I can agree with the people who say a lot of Classic Rock still goes over very well.

True people my age grew up with Nirvana. I saw them when I was 16. But it's not necessarily what I consider 'party' or 'drinking music'. And definitely not dancing music. That is what people want to hear at the bars here.

2. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post

Thanks, but I did actually read the thread.

I was just giving the OP my honest opinion on what would go down best. I'm sure he won't be offended by suggestions that aren't exactly in line with his original time frame.

Sheesh..

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010

3. 0dannyboy

0dannyboy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    I am 46 and just started playing the bars again in a trio. Now I was the singer in my last band so EVH guitars and are not in my Skillset. ...being in a dance band a wedding singer kinda situation is just not in me anymore I would sooner shovel...well lets just say I cant play that funky music white boy for you anymore nor will I some kind of wonderful you anymore...but much to my surprise the songs I chose because they were "kewl to me " are going over so well we are being hired more and more by bar owners wanting something newer. Thats what they hear about us from others...now keep in mind these tunes arent that new but check em out and see if they work for your guys...I do 3 sets of acoustic with the mtv unplugged versions of the tunes we are not unplugged but use a Bose l1 and a nice clean mix. Then for the fourth set we break out the Tele Deluxe and end with the road house blues tunes about 10 of them. http://www.woohabs.com/The_Woohabs_Websight/Covers.html

4. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    and i agree with you.

look, if i'm somewhere and there's a group of 40-somethings up there, i don't expect (nor do i want) to hear them play the artic monkeys (which, should be noted, have never been listened to by anyone in america:D)

what i'm saying is, i'll be expecting some classic rock, some 80's, maybe a few "classic alternative" tunes (nirvana, pearl jam, STP, whatever) but i'm surely not expecting a who's who of what's currently hip.

And chances are, if you're a cover band getting gigs, the places aren't drawing in folks who want to hear (or even know) the hip current stuff anyway. play "sweet caroline". do "dead or alive." give 'em some creed. The hipsters are somewhere else, likely, wearing glasses and drinking ironic cheap beer like schlitz. Around here at least, cover bands play the places where the folks who were on the football team (or wished they were) hang out.

5. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

Mar 14, 2007
    Columbus OH
    That's funny - I've seen them twice, both times the theater was packed, and everybody was dancing and singling along.

The Strokes go over well in clubs, as do Jane's Addiction and Pearl Jam.

6. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Blink 182 always goes over well ...

7. homerzeppelin

homerzeppelin Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2009
    USA
    Sublime - Santeria
    Everclear - Santa Monica
    Sublime - What I Got

Billy Joel - Piano Man (at the end of the night when everyone is sloshed...they'll be a-singin' and a-swayin').

Live - Lightning Crashes
    Bush - Glycerin
    Everlast - What Its Like

8. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2007
    Capel, West Oz
    ABBA - you can do a real rocked out version of Mamma Mia that will jam the dance floor by the end of the 1st verse.... my cover band also pull out a rocked up version of Donna Summer's Hot Stuff as well.... as for newer stuff - white stripes, wolfmother (here in oz anyway) - never underestimate the power of a single guitar version of The Gambler while the drummer is offstage unloading the beer he drank in the interval ;)

9. argent

argent Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2007
    IL
    escape (pina colada song)

10. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

11. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX

Oh my gosh, good luck playing Neon! I don't think mere mortals can play that. I have one for you: The Hives "Tick Tick Boom" which would be a blast and the youngsters all know it. Easy as pie and it would rock the house! My teenagers can't get enough of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M02bAWDFkI

12. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Actually, on John Mayer, it occurs to me that most people 30 and under think that Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" is JM (since he covered it).

My band does "Gravity" and even with my feeble playing we can pull that one off pretty well. It's well known, good tune for slow dancing, and plenty of room for some improvisation.

13. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama
    i would not consider any of those bands to be "new"...hardly even relevant. No one i know really would consider them new, either. They were college rock back in the 90's...but no longer.

Weezer est. 1992

Cake est. 1991-- hasnt out an album in like 5 years

Green Day started out late 80's i think...Dookie was from 1994...thats when they were "on the scene"

OK Go -- last relevant thing they did was that treadmill music video a few years back and theyve been around for 10+ years

To the OP: 70's and 80's rock is still relevant...it's just good music. period. it was said that AC/DC always goes over well...as does Zeppelin...any good rock n' roll is trans-generational. Newer stuff that catches that vibe is the same...(early) Kings of Leon is groovin, Raconteurs, Black Keys.

Also funky stuff is always good...James Brown, Al Green, Otis Redding, maybe some motown....a good groove is a good groove

14. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

It seems, from the various responses here, that what is appropriate really depends on the gig. The patrons want to have a good time and you want to make a little money. So give the people what they want. Whether you're playing a dance club or a biker bar, a wedding or somebody's backyard barbecue, you've got a general idea of what's needed, so provide it the best you can and it's always good to get free food and beer whenever possible. And never bring a neon pink pointy guitar to a jazz gig!
    -Mr. Natural

15. homerzeppelin

homerzeppelin Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2009
    USA
    I can't believe no one said this yet (including me)...just about the most fun song to play ever.

Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me.

This is SURE to get everyone singing along!

16. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2006
    You guys get kudos for coming through with so many good ideas. Just what I needed, since I basically do not follow the trends anymore. I just want to give the younger crowd some of what they know. We've got tons of classic rock, and people like it, but--well, not everybody grew up in the seventies, so we want to cover a wider age spectrum

We do a few:

Vertigo
    Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    Gravity
    Paralyzer
    In The Middle

The songs that have been suggested will all get consideration. Thank you all. This is a good barometer, as we definitely want material that works in bars. For something like this, the more ideas the better.

17. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Try Frankie's Gun or G*dam* You Jim by the Felice Brothers.

Maybe not hip sounding, but you'd probably win the crowd.

18. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2006
    I just wanted to add that some of the clubs here are insisting that their bands play more current music, so we have to adapt to survive in some rooms. Others seem to prefer classic rock--especially the old hits. And, yes--danceable music is the target--as well as the newer stuff. In this market, the more ammunition you have, the more people you can please.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Everywhere I've ever been, people (even the young 21+ crowd, really love 80's stuff.

It amazes me that they are so into it, and know all of the songs. If you are just looking for some more party stuff to throw in, try a few of those tunes.

Young people will still get crazy for "Come On Eileen" and "867-5309", even "My Sharona" gets a huge response. I don't play this stuff, but I wouldn't mind doing it. Fun and poppy, and when I go to see my buddy's band, people seem to love it. In every age group.

I had a songwriter-in-the-round gig a few weeks ago. Packed house of prim and proper folks seated at tables to see us writers do our folky/country/whatever songwriter thing. When we got to the last round, the host put everybody on the spot and said it had to be a cover that no one would expect from us. Something we learned just because we liked it. Trying to get us to publicly air the skeletons in our closets. It was fun. I played "Money Changes Everything" (The Brains, Cyndi Lauper) and the place went nuts. I didn't think anybody would even know it. Everybody did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.