Best Album of 2019

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by bravescoob, Jun 3, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Or the wax cylinders
    [​IMG]

Greggorios likes this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The wax is all melted and so is the chrome.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

4. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah. Vinyl sales have gone up every year for the past 15 years or so. Lots of bands drop very fancy 180 g vinyl with elaborate packaging, colored vinyl, etc. Lots of limited/exclusive vinyl releases for Record Store Day every year...

Surprisingly, cassettes have also made a comeback, in a much lesser way. But there are labels that release only cassettes. It's more of a niche/retro/hipster thing, but it's happening.

Soon there will be nostalgia for the Compact Disc.

stratoman1 and bravescoob like this.
  5. blowtorch

suave eddie likes this.
  6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

The latest release from Cattle Decapitation has garnered high praise. So my son says anyway.

For me, Brantley Gilberts latest has been spinning.

bravescoob likes this.
  7. Muddslide

Interesting article. Things are so cyclical.

Popular recorded music began in the "single" format and remained that way for decades. Originally, you had cylinders with typically one tune or song, then the 78rpm (and various iterations) with a song per side usually. Then the 7" 45 rpm (my favorite format ever.)

Even when EPs ("Extended Plays") and LPs ("Long Players") began to be mass produced, the single was still the most popular format for some years. That really didn't change until the mid-late 1960s. The Beatles had quite a bit to do with the LP overtaking the single in popularity and sales.

Nowadays people for the most part don't have the time (or attention span) to devote to absorbing 45 minutes of music at a time, or listen to one album rather than jump around from band or artist to another.

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Two for me:

Paul McCartney's Egypt Station
    Marcus King Carolina Confessions

bravescoob likes this.
  9. blowtorch

Yep. The single is the superior format. Albums are a hippy-dippy invention for the most part. Before that, if it was more than a single or an EP affair, you generally had a "greatest hits" collection of singles. Which makes ton more sense than all this popmusic-taking-itself-way-too-seriously crap.

With albums came album filler. And that is something that never shoulda happened. Every song should be able to stand on it's own.

10. Muddslide

You are dead right, and I agree except that the LP format allowed bands and artists to really stretch out. It also allowed for classical pieces to be released on one disc instead of spread out through a binder book of 45s that caused interruptions every 4 minutes while you switched discs.

Granted, a lot of the "stretching out" amounted to boring or pointless jams, or live tracks with the 12 minute drum solo, etc., but I like a lot of early synthesizer stuff like the first few Tangerine Dream albums before they went New Age, and things like Morton Subotnik...the LP was a good conveyance for longer pieces...Brian Eno's early ambient albums, etc.

CDs brought even more possibilities with them.

But I completely agree with you as far as straight pop/rock and bands coming up with filler to fill the available space. Not always a good thing at all.

For the classic 3.30 minute pop/rock tunes, going back to Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley and all the way up to today, a two-sided one-two punch unleashed on a cool little 7" was the best IMO.

Not to mention, 45s often had "non-LP B sides" all the way through the 90s, and back in the 50s and 60s the B side was often reserved for some really weird stuff, or instrumental versions of the A side, etc.

blowtorch likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The thread title says "Album", not LP or other format.;)

12. Muddslide

True. Technically an "album" is just a collection of pieces of music, regardless of whether it's on a 12" vinyl LP, CD or a flash drive.

tlsmack and Zepfan like this.
  13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

My favorite album of 2019 so far is Big Thief's U.F.O.F.

My second favorite is Mdou Moctar's Ilana the Creator.

bravescoob likes this.
  14. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another one for Gary Clark Jr... This Land.

Not saying it's the "best" the way some pretentious critic from a magazine would but I've probably listened to it more than any other 2019 album I think, and it motivated me to go buy concert tickets to see him, so it's my favorite so far for this year.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

so,what's with the guy in the dress?is this a thing now?not that there is anything wrong with that.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

Do people still buy albums?
    I can't remember the last one I bought.
    My listening pleasure at the moment is Johnny Cash - American IV - The Man Comes Around.

17. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

So far this is my favorite 2019 album release. I buy vinyl LPs on Amazon (when the price is right...they can fluctuate). Anyhow, this was recommended and was a homerun for me. The style, IMO, is a mix of Alice in Chains Unplugged and 70's James Taylor. There is a Hawkwind cover in there for good measure.

https://www.heavypsychsounds.com/bands/the-pilgrim.htm

18. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 TDPRI Member

new vampire weekend album so far for me I think

bravescoob and Modernelove like this.
  19. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

The Stray Cats 40 is the only new album I bought this year and it's pretty good.

bravescoob likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

they are all made by hand now, mostly in India and southern China, Ching Tow y'all!!

thats why they are so expensive, but when you figure how hard it is to cut a groove in polyvinyl by hand, transcribing it from an mp3 in your headphones to a wavy line with your hand, you can understand the skill set involved in such work.

well worth 25$ and shipping.

tedro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.