Best adhesive for sticking pedals to velcro

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by joel_ostrom, May 9, 2013.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Some of the velcro i've stuck on my pedals to attach them to my pedal board has become detached and is no longer as sticky as it was when it was new. My pedals don't remain firmly attached to my board as a result.

Anybody know of some good adhesive that I can use to reattach the velcro that will make it stick permanently? Something that is good for attaching to polished metal (as many pedals tend to be).

Thanks

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I used industrial strength velcro (lowes, wal mart,) and you press it on, and wait for about a day before touching it again. If you need to reattach, I've used superglue, but be mindful that it cosmetically damages pedals.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Contact cement.

4. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have never had adhesive backed velcro come off my pedals and I do take them off the board occasionally. Once it does come off it's useless, just get some new velcro or maybe heat glue but you can get 2" velcro for like buck a foot so why waste the time. Wipe the bottom of the pedal with alcohol, let it dry and apply the tape.

Contact cement, ya that will do it

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

My problem is the adhesive meals in the heat. What a mess!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

6. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I use tis on the board ( http://www.industrialwebbing.com/Veltex.html ) use spray adhesive on it but still roll over the side and staple it. Then I just use Velcro on the pedals, you will need to remove the rubber feet. What I found you don't need a big piece of velcro on the pedals if it's to big then sometimes it will pull of the pedal. I also use strips of Velcro to hold all the cables & wires in place like your tapping them down.

7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

You shouldn't be eating adhesive, especially in the heat.

8. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i use the Velcro that's designed for marine use (boats, outdoors near water, that sort of thing.) the last time i bought some was several years ago, but think i got it from Home Depot. the adhesive is WAY stronger than your standard Velcro. i wouldn't use it on a vintage Arbiter Fuzz or other pedal worth decent money though, since it'll pull the paint right off the pedal if you ever have to remove the Velcro for some reason. good stuff though, and i've never had it come unstuck from anything i've applied it to without a lot of force and prying.

EDIT: now that i think about it, i'm not sure if the stuff i had was actual "Velcro" brand, or another brand of hook-and-loop fastener. it was definitely marked as "Marine Use" though.

9. DucksEliminated

DucksEliminated Tele-Meister

I had this same problem with my new Joyo Tremelo pedal After the 2nd set of velcro (in 1 week) i pulled the rubber pad off the bottom of the pedal and used a hot glue gun to glue the velcro to the pedal. Didnt need the rubber on the bottom anyhow... havent had one problem yet.

10. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

I haven't had a problem and I'm just using the cheezy stuff included with the PedalTrain.

Make sure the pedals are clean, rubbing alcohol works.
    Let set overnight before attaching the pedal to the board.

I agree, the industrial stuff from a hardware store is best.
    Better adhesion and the velcro itself is stickier too.

Anything with a rubber bottom will be a PITA.

11. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Pre-arrange your board before committing to the lot size of your real estate.

Painter's tape the bottom of your pedals. Super glue or contact cement your velcro to the bottom. WAIT.

Ok - go.

See? All better.

12. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

I just use those 3M picture hanger velcro strips.

I could take my board and whirl it around my head at high speeds without a pedal coming free.

[​IMG]

13. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

^^^I used to build pedalboards for a number of guitarists.

We always used a product like the one above, which is manufactured by 3M and is called "Dual-Lock". If you need to do more than a couple pedals it is much more cost-effective to purchase a ~10 foot roll on the interwebs.

14. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

I used the 2" velcro strips but still found it didn't stick enough. I used a small amount of guerilla glue. I change my pedals around often enough and the velcro has never come off. Available at home Depot

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.