Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best 5e3 clone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hadenolmsted, Jun 5, 2013.

1. hadenolmsted

hadenolmsted Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    So after some suggestions from people here, and some research of my own, I'm interested in tweed amps. Seems like the 5e3 deluxe style best suits me. Who's making the best ones at reasonable prices? I'm talking 1500 and under. Thanks!

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Muchxs , from this forum. You really don't want to look anywhere else

3. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2012
    West
    You really don't want to look anywhere else
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree, people should look at all options then decide.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

My guess with your budget you may be able to have stereo Muchxs 5E3's :lol:

Marsh has a sub $1000 5E3 and I think Vicotria may as well or if not its a bit over.

6. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2008
    Gunbarrel, Colorado
    Keedy amps have a really nice 5e3 and is well under your budget. I owned a Victoria and played through a Fender ri several times and the Keedy is so much more musical! I fought with the Victoria to stop a harsh top end.

there is an adventure over every hill -- Pooh

7. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Apr 23, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Check out L'l Dawg. Under $1000

8. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

100%.

9. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 2, 2007
    Four Corners USA
    A vote here for Mike Clark's outstanding tweed clones. His 5E3 clone is called the Beaufort IIRC. ASide from the buautiful build quality, he uses a correct size cab.

I did a Mission and was very happy with it, but over time it has been gutted & rebuilt using better components and a Clark PT. One of the best amps in my collection.

[​IMG]

10. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    Just saw this thread and want to add my recommendation to contact muchxs on this forum. I was in the same position a few months back debating on which 5E3 clone I wanted to spend my $$ on. I came to the same conclusion that I did a couple of years earlier when going through the same process for a 5F1 clone - muchxs was my choice and I'm extremely pleased with both!

Certainly there are a number of very good 5E3 clones to select from. However, before making a final decision, I'd suggest doing a little research here if you aren't familiar with muchxs' amps. I have absolutely no affiliation with muchxs but highly recommend his amps. Truly outstanding quality and workmanship and some unique build differences. Feel free to PM me :).

11. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    +1 on that. I have no monetary gain from suggesting Muchxs but he IS the go to guy on all things Fender Tweed. PM him, at least, before you decide. I too have one of his 5f1 builds so you can PM me also. I have a 10 sec clip of my crappy playing where you can at least hear the amp.

12. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    I want a Keedy 5F11 bad.

13. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    Have you considered building your own?

14. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    I love Keedy amps, and think he does great work.
    Muchxs is a legend in his own right, and kinda like family at this point, right?
    Clark is one of the original tweed/blackface clone builders. As much as I admire his amps and his work, it is real hard to justify paying premium top dollar for a clone these days.

15. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2009
    Burslem
    Victoria and Clark will be spendy and Valvetrain less so while the likes of Flynn from the UK even while superb would be like "sending coal to Newcastle"....over the years many forum members have sung the praise of the Richter 5E3-G as being a brilliant Deluxe at
    a great price and likewise Lil'Dawg and Muchxs also do great builds for a real good price
    and have many happy customers on TDPRI.

16. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    Muchxs is great. I also recommend Dave at Boot Hill Amps (hackworth1 here on TDPRI). He sells kits, but also hand-builds tweed amps. I have one of his Champs and it's awesome.

17. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    No 2 5E3's sound alike and it really is hit or miss, but, they are like *****, there is no such thing as a bad one.

I would choose by potential resale value, so, my choices would be: Fender, Clark, Victoria...

18. Moustache_Bash

Moustache_Bash TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Snohomish
    Where and how does one go about buying an amp from this Muchxs?

19. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Find a thread where he has posted. Click on his username. Click on Send a private message. Compose message and hit Submit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.