Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best 1x12 combo with 6L6 power tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Oct 20, 2013.

1. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    whatever I said, probably not.

2. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    I was checking one of those out at my local GC on closeout for $300+, VERY TEMPTING!!!:twisted:

3. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

Nov 19, 2013
    Anaheim
    That was the idea but it was nothing like a JCM. The distortion was all preamp distortion and this amp litterally never breaks up ever.

The red knobs never ever ever break up so it is nothing like a JCM anything.

They take pedals pretty damn well tough and if you want endless headroom and clean whistle as cleans then it is the amp you are looking for. Even cleaner than a twin reverb or any amp I have ever played, it never breaks up and has endless headroom quite literally.

I would have to say unless you are busting out 1000k+ dollars on an amp you really are not going to get wowed by much. Fender Deluxe Blues are just really "meh" and sound like bee's in a can.

The Kustom Coupe 36 or Kustom Coupe 72 sound way better than anything fender is coming out with currently if you ask me under 1200 dollars. Its even better than the Vibrolux if you ask me.

The Deluxe Reverb and Super Reverb when compared to the Kustom 36 are on parr and the Kustom Coupe 72 could go places the Twin Reverb could only imagine.

Imagine going from a tweed sound to a blackface tone at the pull of a knob, Kustom allows that. You just pull the master volume knob and you change voicing's from tweed to blackface automaticly.

The amp is amazing and I could only speak good about it and cant imagine another 6l6 amp that embodies and carries out a good representation of a tweed and blackface tone as well as the all tube driven made in the USA Kustom Coupe 36 designed by James Brown.

[​IMG]

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS

5. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Wow. So is it a better version of a c-rex? I was just looking at their website. I'm assuming the Nashville speaker is the best for increased headroom?

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Better is a pretty subjective term especially when comparing another speaker to a CRex so for the Tone Tubby original hemp cone design and far more expensive are probably more correct.

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Well unless I find something better by Friday I'm gonna be buying a Champ 12 from GC used for 229$ or 249$(there's 2 of them) depending on how long they've had them maybe I can get one of them for 199$ or something. They've done that for me before with used stuff they've had sitting a while.
    I'll be pretty much immediately buying a c-rex, maybe a TT if I can find a good deal(unless I happen to love the stock speaker) Also new tubes. You gotta love retubing an amp and only having to buy a couple tubes.
    I wish I could find a champ 2 but the only 1 or 2 I've seen have been pretty pricey. I just wish the 12 was a single channel.

Also I was wondering if the MOD reverb tank would fit in the 12. I've hear everyone complain about the reverb on them. If not, is there another option to improve the reverb? I usually only out the reverb on about 2 or 3 so maybe it'll be ok.

And what about the Torres mods? I've heard they are designed more to improve the drive channel which I probably won't be using. Are there other mods for them?

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Best price you will find on TT 40/40
    http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalo...d=143&osCsid=480256e3badec1884805c4ca53541c21

9. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Wow that's a lot cheaper than what I was looking at. Thanks!
    I'm pretty settled on the champ 12 but my local GC has a used PRRI. It's a lot more money (699$) but I can put it in layaway. I'm one of those people that can't get over having an overdrive channel that I won't use (like on the 12). It drives me nuts, I know it's dumb but it does.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well just learn to like 80's shred metal and you'll be fine... :twisted:

But as I said in other thread, just keep gain almost off and dial in a OD boost it really kicks butt actually.

11. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Lol. That metal thing is never gonna happen! I'm a tele twanger for life lol.

I'm just GASing over this PRRI because my guitar teacher in Nashville had one and it was amazing. He would bring it to my apartment for lessons (with lots of cranky neighbors) and it was fine at bedroom levels. But then I went and saw him playing with one of the many acts he was subbing with at the time and I expected to see his BF deluxe reverb. But lo and behold, he was using the PRRI. And un-mic'd!!! Just leaning back on the kick legs.
    Full band (drums (loud drummer to say the least), bass, keyboard/organ, acoustic guitar, like 3 vocal mics, and my teachers tele. and it was perfect for this small/almost medium size club. He didn't even have it cranked because it was still clean without his pedals on (hints why I thought it was his deluxe). The PRRI cut through the mix and was perfect for his single coil G&Ls and teles. Plenty of headroom (it was of course a country gig) and took his rather large pedal board incredibly well.
    I had no idea. It wasn't until I sat in on a couple tunes (an hour or so into the gig) and went to adjust the EQ. And that's when I saw it and realized it wasn't a deluxe or something bigger but a 15w 1x10 Princeton Reverb Reissue. So crazy.
    Been trying to find a deal on one (PRRI, or even a vintage one) ever since.Pref through GC used so I could layaway. Could just buy the champ 12(as it's only 229$) now (Friday) and put the PRRI on layaway. But it seems a little redundant to have both. Am I wrong?
    I could always sell the champ or more likely trade it (towards a strat) when I got the PRRI.
    Or who knows. Maybe when I get the champ 12 I'll be totally satisfied and not even want the PRRI.
    Thoughts? Opinions?
    Are you guys starting to see how indecisive I am? Lol. It drives my girlfriend nuts!

thanks.
    Gary.

12. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Also is the PRRI comparable to the old silverface one? Is it a huge difference? Because the used prices are pretty similar

13. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    AHA!!!!

I got it now!

You ARE Gary's girlfriend, shopping for a Christmas present for him!

It ALL makes sense now, all these 6 pages of indecision & hand-wringing over which is the PERFECT amp to get him.

Very sweet...

:D

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Hey go for what you know you like. But no, they are 2 totally different amps. Princeton is 6v6 and will start into mild power tube and speaker break up way before the champ will. That's what most folks like about Princeton reverbs, being able to hit that edge of power tube breakup at lower volumes. Champ ain't gonna do that and even when you do reach its power tube break up about 3pm it's a 6l6 and sounds way different than 6v6. Then you have the 10" vs 12" speaker difference on top of that. This really is a apples or oranges comparison.

Be like comparing this to the champ 12 or princeton.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage tweed champ is this ones competition.

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    @Tap
    Hahahahahahaha. Maybe?!?! No. I wish it were the case.

@dave
    I had no idea. I thought they were both 6V6. Lol.
    My teachers PRRI didn't break up til around 2pm but maybe he had different tubes/speaker and God knows what else. He's a famous tinkerer. What PTs are in the newer super champ xd or whatever (newer one at GC)? I really like the cleans on that one.
    Also. Do you know if the MOD reverb tank will fit in the champ? I know there's a trim pot for the verb in there somewhere. Also would replace with switch craft jacks and maybe better pots, volume pot at least as I hear they're very touchy. That whole loud or inaudible thing.

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Champ when you crank vol on clean chan all way up , edge of clean that just kind of snarls at you when hit it with bridge pu and attack it. Think of this. Especially when he does the lead fill.

Unless you have it cranked all way you will get no OD out of it.

Here a princeton, go to 3:00 in where he cranks it to 7 on vol.

Night and day difference. You have to put a OD pedal in front of champ to get that amount of breakup, which is what I do. But both of the above tones are considered OD to me.

Reverb tank on champ is a special design and tapped off speaker send so no standard tank will work from what I've read.

Both my champs are completely stock except for speakers and tubes so can't comment on mods. Like I said I just keep gain knob below 1 (it's the sensitive one) and just kick in a drive boost and it works great for me.

You must have missed my novel I wrote on champ thread....
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-cent...red-knob-champ-12-opinions-2.html#post5420288

17. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Roma Urbe
    Best 1x12 combo with 6L6 power tubes ?
    IMHO I found this Fender Concert Amp - 60 watt - two 6L6 - 1 x 12" - two channels - all valve circuit - had all I needed to keep on strumming.
    I bought one used a year ago, the last of the three types (the first was the Rivera one), and it's becoming my main amp (after four Twins).
    It has almost the same size an weight of a Deluxe, but has three times the power.
    Looking at the schematics you realize it's almost half a Twin Reverb.
    Has a valve driven long spring reverb and a very smooth overdrive with two switchable gains.
    No tremolo though, but it has a nice send/return channel with a "Mix" pot on the front.

18. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Anybody mention the Jet City 50 watt combo yet? 2 channels: crunch and lead, Soldano overdrive on the lead/dirty channel, effects loop. You can actually order from AmpFactory and get one customized (Mercury Magnetics, set up for different output tubes but the base model is 6L6, whatever you can imagine). I have a 1x2 20 watt model and it's a great amp for the price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.