Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best 1x12 combo with 6L6 power tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Oct 20, 2013.

1. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well the ycv20 is EL84 powered, so YMMV.

2. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Worcester, MA

3. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've been super interested in this amp for a while but haven't been able to find one to try. On paper it seems like it'd be a dream come true.

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's weird. It says 1 new for 349$, then 1 restock for 719$. Does this make sense to you guys?

5. Snailspace7

Snailspace7 NEW MEMBER!

Oct 24, 2013
    Kidderminster
    Music Man 112RP has 6L6 output tubes, built like a brick sh*thouse as we say in the UK. Rubbish overdrive but beautiful Fender-like clean and so much headroom. They may be 30 years old or more but a good one will last and last.

6. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks. I'm looking for one. I found a 210 music man but still looking for a 1x12.

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I just found a couple 112rps on GC used for 499$ and 599$ seems like a good price. Plus they'll ship it free to my local GC.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Did you ever check out this Super 60?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/4115392423.html

They really are worth a play. If you like great cleans, these RKs deliver! EQ section also actually cuts volume to each band, making it very tweakable. If you try it and want to hear it's true full volume, put all EQ pots on 10.

9. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2010
    Newark, NY
    I love my '83 concert II. Its nice and clean on one channel and breaks up nicely either on the other channel or with my ocd. Has reverb too ;) best $150 I ever spent

10. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I have tried the super 60 and love it. I have to find one at the right price.

The concert is very interesting. I may have one plus a Mexican Nashville tele for my Martin. We'll see.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

I doubt you'll find one cheaper than the CL ad I posted for $255, unless you get REAL lucky like Kid Klash did recently with his :eek:

That one I linked has been up for a while, maybe he'll deal ;)

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Yea don't ignore those Super 60's. Also keep eye out for these.... Their little red knob cousins from same era. 2-12ax7 and single 6L6. Later model of them have black knobs on both 60 and 12's.
    [​IMG]

2 of these are main amps now, had them both since 87'. Upgraded with TT 40/40 speakers and all nos glass. Those TT took these little amps from good to perfect, with that 102db SPL hemp cone 1 will keep up with most drummers unless you talking John Bonham. Both of them will bury any drummer. I've had a Marshall half stack, a Fender Concert II, and a Mesa over last 20yrs, but in end these are amps I kept. They are just great "little" amps. I really don't look at other amps at my age (54), these 2 do everything I need with the right pedal. Perfect Fender 6l6 cleans, love to just plug straight into one, no pedals just kick in a slight drive boost on gain chan when wanted, nails that Blackmore tone.

They stay clean all the way up to about 2-3pm on vol knob, then they start snarling at you like little mini Twins. Gain chan is ok, very 80's, I just set it for a slight gain/OD vol boost. Reverb is meh. But any pedal/preamp will work with them superbly. Use to be you could pick them up for $150 a few years ago all day long, but man last couple yrs they have been climbing. Watch CL or eBay if you can grab one for $200-300'ish, good deal. I like to stack them up and run wet/dry.

Had a Fender Concert II most of 90's, don't ignore those either, great amps. Ran it wet/dry with Champs, a lot of the time.

13. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Just searched "champ 12" on GC used and found 2. Both for between 22o$-250$ There's a really cool one on eBay. Blackface style with silver grill

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    But with shipping almost 500$
    So they're 1 6L6 and 2 AX7s? And 30 watts? How heavy are they? Seems like it would be perfect.......

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN

16. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Or the traynor ycv20 or the ampeg gvt15 both for around 300$. There's just too many options.
    Either way it looks like I'm gonna end up with something pretty nice for 300$ or less so that's awesome.

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    They are 12w, the speaker upgrade is what makes 1 of them loud enough to play in a small band setting with, so you have to figure that in as well. 26lb normally, with the bigger TT speaker around 30lbs. You would absolutely have to have 2 of them without the TT speakers. CRex speakers also nice but I liked TT a bit better, bit more mids. I ran TT and CRex in them side by side and decided on TT, sold CRex got another TT, but it is a slightly more expensive speaker though.

18. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'm sorry I missed something. What is a TT speaker?

19. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Peavey Valveking 112.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.