Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best 1x12 combo with 6L6 power tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Oct 20, 2013.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not against 15" speakers. Just never had one. I've seen some old Ampeg Geminis that are 1x15 combos. Pretty sweet looking.
    I really like Traynors. I found a Traynor YCV40 on craigslist, trying to negotiate picking it up.

2. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2005
    California
    The YCV40 is a great amp. So is the YCV50 Blue.

3. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I just found out my local guitar center has a used traynor ycv40 for pretty cheap. Only thing is it looks different then the newer ones. It has a black grill cloth. But it doesn't really look like a grill cloth, it looks like metal or steel or something. It's all black. Do you guys know about this model?

4. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2007
    PDX
    Guitar Center has a used one that sounds like what you're describing (black metal grille). $375. Looks beat.

5. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah that's the one. It's in Tampa, FL. I'm gonna try to go try it today.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well if you like the sound of that one there is newer one with nicer looking grill cloth, really good condition it looks like on EBay for same price +$59 ship from TX. Maybe it's just me but any metal grill on amp I ever played seem to resonate a little bit oddly, almost like they add a slight harmonic overtone, like I said maybe I'm just nuts.

Anybody know with these amp supposedly self biasing circuits, can you just drop a pair of 6L6GC instead of the 6L6GB they come with? If you could would be a nice boost in clean headroom, probably ???

EDIT: Eurotubes gave the answer, all their kits for that amp are 6L6GC or KT77, so drop any 6L6GB/5881 or better 6L6 variant and no worries. Bet my matched pair GE 7581A would kick butt in that amp.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I was also wondering what power tubes I should put in if I get if. Def looking for max clean headroom. Which 6L6s would improve the headroom the most?
    Also which preamp tubes. I don't have much experience with those. Guess you can't go wrong with what the people at JJs say.
    I figure once I re tube and throw a cannabis rex in there this baby will be good to go!

8. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Damn, I just found another ycv40 on guitar center used for $249! It's got the silver grill cloth and looks brand new! I can't believe how cheap these amps go for, it's insane. It makes me want to get a ycv40 and a ycv20, although it seems the ycv20s go for a little more (around 399$ used). I was just gonna get another Roland Cube 60(there's an orange one on craigslist for like 100$) as a backup/home amp but that ycv20 looks sweet!

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well theoretically going from a pair of 6L6GB to 6L6GC should probably give about 5w more clean headroom.

I'd stick with new TAD STR 6l6 (Sylvania big bottle clones) for a gigging amp. Their fairly cheap, reliable, great sounding so getting a extra set for backup is within most people grasp. Preamp as of current I'm impressed with TAD 7025 for quiet reliable preamp tubes. Hate JJ, dull lifeless. I myself am a NOS guy so 2nd thing I'd be doing would be seeing what tube works best in that amp for specific purpose. I've got boxes of old brands and types to play with so tube rolling is just 2nd nature to me.

I'd just get it and see how you like it with stock Celestion and go from there. A lot folks when buying a used amp get it benched by a tech and looked over. Also they get tubes replaced cause they really have no idea how long current tubes have been in there. Any good tech can tell you if you need power tubes in about 5-10min, preamps are less critical but alway good to have spare set around.

10. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Just left guitar center. Played the Traynor YCV40 the had there (beat up one with black metal grill). It was awesome. Granted I was playing a 2400$ custom shop esquire! Lol. But I liked it a lot. It was louder than I expected but that's ok, I can deal with that. I'm tempted to find a YCV20 but they cost more used. The 40 I played today was 459$ or something but I'm gonna get one from guitar centers used site. Theres a silver grill one for 249$ and another one with a C-Rex in it for 399$.
    It was right next to a HRDlx and I A/Bd them a little, not even close. I'm mostly into the clean channel but the traynor OD was so smooth whereas the Hot rods is unusable to me.

On a side note they had an Ampeg Reverbrocket 2x12 that was awesome (499$) I cranked the clean channel to about 8 in the "rumble room" and it was right out of a stones song, especially with the custom shop esquire I was playing! I know everyone says that but it's true! If I was playing somewgere where I could crank it like that I'd snag it in a heartbeat! Man is that thing loud!!!!

11. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    Gotcha!
    Sounds like you are on a roll with getting your amp.

Excellent:cool:

I dig the Reverb Rocket too.
    Gibson had one set up at AES a couple of years ago to show off the new Firebird thing with a million switches.

That amp was loud as heck just cranking it open to 9 o clock.

I was afraid to keep going but had to hear it saturate a little.

Antique Electronic Supply has a pretty thorough description of tube styles and brands, and their sonic and electrical differences.

It's a fun place to browse and check out all the different stuff available.

Some one asked if it would be a good idea to stockpile tubes.

Absolutely...
    At my place!:D

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    You want clean, so go big. IMO.

13. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks orange drop! Lots if good stuff :)

And Parker, I'm def going with the ycv40. How can you beat it for 249$?!?!?!
    As far as the ampeg saturation goes, I'll have to settle for that Catalinbread sft pedal. I hear it's pretty close. All their stuffs good and that ampeg breakup is my all time fav "overdrive" sound so I'll run that baby through the traynor and hopefully that'll do for now. Friday can't get here soon enough!!!
    Thanks again guys!!!

14. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2007
    PDX
    Congrats! $249 for the YCV40 in good condition is a killer price!!! Looking forward to pics and a review when it arrives. ;)

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Sadly that ones not coming. I found out it's broken. But no worries, there's a couple others on GC used for 299$. My only remaining questions this: between the ycv40(red) and the older black one, is one more desireable than the other? Are they the exact same except the color? It doesn't matter because there's both black and red ones for about $300 even.
    There is however a black one with a Cannabis Rex speaker in it already but it's 399$ still a great deal for a well made, gig worthy amp. Honestly I'd prob end up putting a C-rex in there anyways so that would save some trouble. What do you guys think?
    I'm trying to score one from a guy locally on craigslist too but if he doesn't get with me by Friday I'm just ordering one of these.

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    YCV40WR has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, think that is only dif between them, love that color/grill, so classy looking. be my choice, better speaker, better looking.

17. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I really like the look omf the wine redbone but I've never been a vintage 30 guy. Maybe if I played more rock stuff, idk.

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Well i'm not a V30 guy either, but V30 probably will be easier to sell than the stock Celestion in other.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

19. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The YCV20 looks so sweet. I'm tempted to get that and maybe out a more efficient speaker in and try to find out if I can get a bigger output transformer in there to make it louder. But I'll probably just get the 40w one.

20. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I put a pair of Tung SOl 7581 tubes in my YCV40. That amp cost me $200. I put a celestion blue in there and it sounds great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.