Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best 1x12 combo with 6L6 power tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Oct 20, 2013.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I really want a 1x12 amp that's loud and clean.
    It seems like a lot of 1x12 combos are el84s or EL34s. I'm no expert in the differences. I was just reading this:

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/08/6l6-vs-el-34-feel-the-power-of-your-amps-power-section/

Pretty interesting. Can I get the clean headroom I need for country from el34s? If I could id have a lot more options.
    I've been looking at mostly mesa combos because the fender 1x12s I've looked at have been underwhelming to say the least. Everyone says to get a DRRI (700$ used) and mod/switch speakers and trannys to get it where I need. I don't want to have to put a bunch of money into an amp I just spent 700$ on.
    There are several mesa combos I can get for around 500$ used that have reverb, graphic EQ and 30w-50w of mesa power. Fender can't touch that. Right?
    Thanks.
    Gary.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I can run either 6L6s or EL34s in my Mesa Mark V, and power wise they're not that different. With EL34s in the head and the power output set to 45 watts (using just the inner pair of power tubes), there is still enough headroom there to keep up with just about any drummer.

3. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    I don't see many Mesa combos in the sub-$500 range that are in good condition, but if you find one, by all means, grab it and try it out. Worst-case scenario it's still worth $500 if you don't like it an need to move on.

My own personal experience is limited to a friends' M/B Nomad...55 M/B watts with 3 discrete channels, all with their own reverb pot, and a switch for 6L6GCs -OR- EL34s, and we rocked the world with that amp and a set of GE 6CA7s. I recall the 'clean' channel was exactly that, but if all you want is clean, it might be more than a few overkill features for you. No EQ, however. Of course, it's a M/B, so it weighs as much as a '73 VW Beetle. Maybe you can find an F50.

My other amp is a (now discontinued, replaced with the Pubster/Chubster series) Rivera R30, which runs EL34s for 30 watts, but the clean channel is a little mild. It sounds good, it's just not that loud in comparison to the HRDx my bandmates play. There is a 55 watt version available.

Just my 2 cents, but I've found that EL84s that aren't being driven super hard exihibit great cleans with lots of sparkle...but you need an efficient speaker to carry volume. My 18watt-Marshall clone sounds great clean, and I think it could hang with a sensible drummer. If I ever find a sensible drummer, I'll confirm that. A few years ago, I think Vox was producing an AC30 with a single 12" speaker, maybe keep your eyes peeled for one of those.

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've found several mesa combos between 450-600$ both on guitar centers used site and craigslist. I've found a couple F-50s for right at 500$ one for 485$. And I found a DC-3 for 500$ OBO. I'm willing to trade my Martin d-16gt as well. The guy with the DC-3 said he'd throw in a new MIM strat with the amp for my Martin. But it's a EL-34 I believe. So I'm thinking about it.

I wasn't aware there was an AC-30 with a single speaker. That's be cool. I've been trying to compare f-50s and DC-3s. I think the DC-3 would be plenty loud but idk if it'd have the headroom I need. Maybe with a dif speaker.

5. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    winfield elizabeth 12" combo, should be about in your price range, used.

can't vouch for the combo, i have a lizzie head with a 4x10 cab winnie built. great amps,
    read user reviews here, TGP, harmony central.

very loud, runs with EL34 50 watt amps in volume, dirty.

louder than same if both are running clean.

mitchfit

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Magnatone has some real nice stuff.

7. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    No, it's an EL-84 amp.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual Cal DC-3.pdf

See page 12 of the manual for more info.

8. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

May 18, 2010
    Sweet Carolina
    Used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe have a good clean sound for around $400 - $500.

9. element19_98

element19_98 NEW MEMBER!

Jan 16, 2013
    Mandeville, LA.

10. t.e.l.e.

t.e.l.e. Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi, try a fender concert or pro tube concert. 60w, 1x12", forget the second chanel and play them clean. I've one and I was always happy with it. Only problem, it's loud and stays clean ;-)

11. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Some of the Mesa Calibre 50+ 1x12s had 6L6GCs in them - although earlier versions of the heads had 4xEL84s.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Morgan or RedPlate...great 6l6 vers....(not for that dollar) I re-read.

Bump up a princeton to 6l6 like Boogie did in their formative years..
    Nice Supro or Silvertone...or valco........for vintage effect..

13. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Google the Traynor YCV50 Blue
    EL34 1x12 combo
    Tons of clean headroom and an OD channel for when ya want some dirt.
    Way under Rated amps !

PS I picked mine up for under 400 shipped
    Made and designed in Canada

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Right now I'm looking at a mesa f-50 or a mesa 5:50 1x12. The 5:50 is more but hopefully I can trade my Martin towards it.
    I've never tried a traynor amp before. I'll check it out. Thanks.

15. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2007
    PDX
    If you want to stay with a Fender amp, check out the underrated red knob Super 60. Awesome 6L6GC cleans. They go for around $400.

Attached Files:

16. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Jun 7, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Do you know how much they weigh? I found one from the 80s (black knobs) on eBay. It says it's from the Rivera era and was made to compete with Marshall JCM high gain stuff. I'd have no need for a gain channel but I read they don't take pedals well.
    I found a red knob one at a local pawn shop. I'll have to go check it out

17. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2009
    California
    Rivera era early 80s Concert 1x12. 60 Watts and LOUD. Gain channel kinda sux. Clean channel is close to silverface but not exact. the nice thing about this amp is it is PTP wired, easy to work on. The red knobs used PCBs.

I heard there were some mod kits for that gain channel that helps it out a bit.

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't take pedals well is internet hogwash myth, perpetuated by people too lazy to find the right pedals or right settings on the pedals to match the amp, IMO...

19. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2007
    PDX
    Yeah - my Super 60 weighs in at 52 lbs. Built in the U.S. too (Lake Oswego OR).

20. xjbebop

xjbebop Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2010
    USA
    I stumbled upon an egnator tweaker 40 combo on clearance at my local gc last night and got a smokin deal on it. So far I'm -very- impressed!
    Check out the carvin nomad as well...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.