Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bent Tuner Shaft –*how to fix?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by pontmercy, May 27, 2010.

1. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    I know on a regular basis we usually bash the boys at guitar center for many many reasons but truthfully, many of them are great guys that can't help the way their company operates. I know many there and enjoy chatting when I go in. One guy in particular is their on-staff tech. He and I have started to share more info on repair and building.

Today was my lucky day, I mentioned that I have a little travel LP style guitar that I wanted to upgrade with some gibson keystone look a likes and asked if he had cheap set. He GAVE ME, FREE OF CHARGE, a set from a gibson SG that they had just replaced. The G tuner's shaft was bent.

So I have this sweet set of tuners with one shaft bent. How is the best way to get it back to mostly straight without ruining it? The tuner still turns freely and the bend seems not to have affected anything else.

Here is a pic, sorry about the iphone resolution, it's all I had at work to take a shot with.
    [​IMG]

2. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    Find a block of wood as least as thick as the tuning post is long, drill a hole in it, and slip the tuner post into the hole and then clamp the tuner and block of wood in a vise. Then get a small pair of vise-grips, clamp them onto the shaft at right angle to the bend and twist away, carefully.

3. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks Strat62! That sounds like a good plan. Drill battery charging right now, can't access my drill press (we moved and garage is still a mess), and have the wood here now. Hope I can find the vise! Thanks again. Hope it works! But they were FREE!! :)

4. TELEkinetic

TELEkinetic Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Arkansas

5. pontmercy

pontmercy Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2009
    Central Arkansas
    Yup, that's what the guy at GC said, he had just removed it from an SG. That must happen a lot to those models for some reason! Who knew? I'll get it bent and post a new, better pic.

6. TELEkinetic

TELEkinetic Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Arkansas
    I thought about making a call and a lowball offer because I guarantee what happened is the owner hit the headstock against something and may have damaged the neck.

I college my SG fell straight forward against the fret board and snapped the headstock clean off.

Interested to see if he posts on CL after the repair, 'cause 600 bucks is way to much for that model.......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.