Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Benefits to 52-era blender wiring scheme?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by infiniteposse, Sep 19, 2017.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'm just curious if there's a functional purpose some folks still find to this early 1952 wiring scheme.

I'm very used to, and fond of, my normal 3-position wiring and would generally prefer that to get the full use all pickups.

Also, does this older setup affect the fundamental sound of the pickups in position 1 and 2?

Once the solder is broken on an old guitar, is there any reason I'm missing for not updating the writing scheme?

Thanks in advance.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    But but but history! But but but vintage! But but but Leo did it that way!

I don't really know - I've read some would use that neck position to be a "fake bass".

If it were me, I would actually put in a 4 way in standard configuration.

However...

Are you talking about a 52 RI or a vintage 52 or similar vintage? If it were a vintage guitar, I would only upgrade to "normal 3-way" wiring / remove the "dark circuit".

Of course, it's not my guitar, so my opinion is not worth much here.

3. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the feedback. This is a real deal 52, so I'll likely do a clean, but as non-invasive rewire for standard switching.

Thanks!

4. deejaid

deejaid TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2011
    California
    So, does this mean you snagged that refinished '52 listed on Portland Craigslist? :)

5. deejaid

deejaid TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2011
    California

6. sonicdom

sonicdom TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2012
    switzerland
    Congrats on your '52. Being 11/52 it would not have the blender wiring anymore, but 1. neck pickup with filter, middle: neck pickup with tone pot, back: lead pickup with tone pot. The first position is completely useless on a tele (there is some use for it on an esquire though), and since it isn't an original guitar anyway, I would wire it the modern way. I've done that too to my original '52 and haven't regretted it for a second... these things are there to play and have fun with.

The blender wiring is cool though as you can mix front and back pickup as you please and you can get sounds out of it that you don't get on a standard tele wiring. Then again, I often miss the tone control...

dustoff and infiniteposse like this.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    If I had an original '52 Blackguard, I would not touch any solder joints...as much as I don't care for that bassy position, which indeed was used to reinforce standup basses at times?
    If the guitar has been messed with, then I would wire it to my pleasure.

8. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    No original solder joints, so it's no longer sacred ground, which I really prefer.

I just wasn't sure if there was a sonic/functional aspect I was missing. It seems there's not.

Thanks!

Wally likes this.

9. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2003
    No. Cal.
    I rewired my '53 to modern wiring, sonic perfection!

infiniteposse likes this.

10. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Just did mine today. I think my neck pickup is unusually dark. Output seems consistent with the bridge pickup, just very little high frequency present. From my reading it seems like it could be the blend of metal used in these old covers or perhaps the pickup needs some TLC. Output measures low on a multimeter (4.37k ohm) but the reading may or may not be super accurate. Even the middle position is currently overly dark, despite the bridge pickups lovely cutting sound.

I may just seek out a modern pickup and bag the vintage pickup for now and just enjoy the thing.

11. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Played around some more and I think a little more height adjustment may cure the issue. There's just a pretty large tonal difference between neck and bridge. More than on my CS 63 tele, which is what I know well.

12. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Posse, that is an unusually low resistance reading. If the meter is good, the is a problem with the pickup or maybe a solder connection.

13. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the feedback. In the Blackguard Book there's 3 examples of neck pickups in the high 4's (4.80, 4.95, 4.93), but that still makes mine a little low. Jason Lollar isn't too far from here, so I may send him an email and see what his thoughts are.

I played more with it last night and it's something I can work around for sure. It's not bad at all, it just isn't as seemless a blend with the neck pup as I'd ideally like. I want to be very thoughtful about doing anything invasive with the pickup like a rewind. I could be open to that, but part of me thinks getting a nice pickup like a Klein and then bagging the OG one would be fine.

Re: that Joe Gore video, that was a great demonstration. Boy, he's heavy on the uncomfortable eye contact

14. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    When I had my 51 worked on, one of the things he had to do was replace the rubber under the bridge pickup and raise up the neck pickup I had my neck pickup rewound by () Jason Lollar. (works/ sounds great)

As for the wiring... I like the neck (filtered) position. It let's you play a rhythm/bass following the bass player while others play rhythm and lead guitar. Also good for intro solos on the higher end.
    As for as I have heard, the middle position (neck) doesn't use the blender. It's just the neck pickup.
    The rear (bridge) position singles out the bridge pickup and blends in the neck pickup as you turn the blender pot.
    It's my understanding one of the reasons leo changed things later was that it was originally set up mostly to use in recordings. When used live, (or by people without an 'ear') they didn't notice a big enough difference.

Speaking of... I got a question for you. How well does your volume pot work? Mine works, but has a very limited range. Doesn't make any major volume change. What's yours like?

You're in my area (I'm sorta near Lollar myself) ... Want to play an original Nocaster?

15. infiniteposse

Nov 6, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Volume pot on mine works really well. Perfectly gradual, musical fade up. Quiet as a mouse. Is your pot original? Same as the tone pot?

I'm curious. What was wrong with your neck pup when you got it? Dead or just not right? Any idea what your pickups measure?

I'd love to check out the Nocaster sometime! PM me and we'll work something out.

16. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That 6G9 Tremolux amp in the video above is working really well. Those SE pickups sound great. He uses the E-bow well. Lots of great tones there. He can utilize his tools well. Thanks for that video.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Very cool clip. Forgot what a great musician Gore was.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.