Benefit to additional string tree on D & G strings?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Mar 17, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Just curious... the D & G strings on Teles have a fairly gentle and long slope down to the tuning machines, so I was wondering if one might notice an improved response from the guitar if those two strings had increased downward tension on the nut - by adding a second string tree?

What are your thoughts or direct experience with this?

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I haven’t felt a need with mine, or the few others I have played. If it turns out no one has tried it, maybe you can and report back?

Better or worse? Will it still even sound like a Tele? I’m curious now!

Damned internet! :mad:

DHart likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I've seen it done... so I know that they're out there. I have a Japanese Fender Tele maple neck (awesome neck, BTW) that has two round-shaped string trees and I like the support that they give to the D and G strings... I know that it probably isn't really "needed", but perhaps the extra tension on the nut might improve tone, just a bit?

I think I will order up a couple and try them on some of my other Teles - just for the fun of trying it.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

It does help with the phantom ringing at the g string that can happen if you don’t wind the string enough down the tuning post.
    Most of us I think give it a good few wraps, I do,
    But I’ve seen instances where not enough of a break angle existed on those strings behind the nut,
    And it can do funky things.

DHart likes this.
  5. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

My direct experience was that I installed x2 Tusq string trees as well as a Tusq nut. I could look at my string's break angles over the nut and just visually tell that trees were required.

I did have some nut buzzing and that fixed it immediately. I guess they are mostly there for support and I can't say that I can hear a difference (sustain?).

DHart likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Sounds like adding a second string tree would improve string stability and may actually improve tonal stability a bit.

Art VanDelay likes this.
  7. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Sure, but then again, doing that adds another friction point that can affect tuning stability lol.
    Really though, I have some with a single tree, some with 2.
    Usually either works fine,
    I tend to wind the strings down the tuning peg a fair bit,
    Something dan erlewhine said about stringing a guitar for tuning stability that stuck with me for years.
    But for sure, the second tree would eliminate any string break at the nut issues straight away.

I happened to see this problem recently with a guitar, single string tree, whoever strung it had only a couple winds on the g string.
    There was a weird harmonic that you would hear, and it seemed to be coming from the saddles.
    But, it was that length of string behind the nut ringing out, and I think the brass saddles and bridge plate were amplifying that.
    A finger tip behind the nut on that string stopped it.
    That’s why I mentioned it, otherwise it wouldn’t have occurred to me to post.

I would bet that if I looked at the nut with a magnifying glass I would’ve seen the string sitting slightly loose at the back of the nut, and moving in there.

I don’t have an issue with just one string tree, for me the second tree is a solution to a problem that won’t exist if I string the guitar.
    But if it’s there, that’s cool too.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Still fit a cigarette?

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Can't hurt much, esp. with a well-designed tree. I like the round ones or the roller-type, depending if it's vintage style or modern. Not crazy about the M-shaped ones.

DHart likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I found it to be helpful in getting good tension across the nut when using Nashville stringing. The very light strings will tend become sitar-like otherwise. I also had to add string trees on my Mosrite JR kit build since it needed more tension across the zero fret.

With regular tuning and stringing on a Tele, it probably isn't needed.

DHart likes this.
  11. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

You can always get a 3 string retainer and not have to drill a second hole.
    [​IMG]

DHart, archtop_fjk and Ricky D. like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I use two on my Tele.....generic "roller"-style. I practice a lot un-plugged, and extraneous rattles and "pings" bother me. I don't notice any improved "tone" from increasing the downward break behind the nut, but it doesn't hurt anything either. BTW....I don't like those "M"-shaped trees, I seem to experience tuning issues with those.

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

On my last two partscasters I played them with no string tree at all for a few weeks and they both seemed fine. I did eventually install a string tree on each regardless. With a current partscaster build I have ordered Kluson Supreme staggered vintage tuners to avoid having a string tree on the neck.

DHart likes this.
  14. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Wow - flatwound strings with a wound G! :)

15. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I only do the D and G if there is ringing above the nut on that specific guitar. Les Paul style or other headstocks where string trees are sacrilege get a hair tie if the noise really bothers me :D

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.