Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Bender "Boogie" Original tune on a B & G Bender Tele

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Ormond, Dec 6, 2010.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Well, thank you for nothing... now I want a bender even worse than before...:D
    Awesome job !!! Wow !

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2008
    Virginia
    OK, I will throw away my guitars now. :neutral:

Very nice.

4. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Jul 25, 2009
    san bernardino
    Thanks all for the nice comments - WaylonFan - I have my wonderful old Fender Bender for sale and Firstbassman, don't toss the guitars - I felt the same way a year ago when I decided to try this style.
    And Belly, I am working on something entirely different - and in Drop D Tuning - and that completely changes which benders are most important. Give me another week and I will be able to answer you question much better....I have a lot of work to do this week on this guitar....

5. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Jul 25, 2009
    san bernardino
    OK - Belly, this is the answer to you query.
    Because I played the B Bender before the G, it is much more natural for me. That is fine when I am playing in the a key that is "B" friendly - but I just started working on something in Drop D tuning and the G Bender is of much greater use. So I am having to force myself to be more comfortable with it. But I don't like practicing standing up - so I had to modify the the belt-loop puller - I took the little hook-up strap, put it on a strap I can put on my lower chest and now I can use the G comfortably, all day long, sitting down.
    But this is what is not published about the G bender when it is a belt-loop setup. I EQUATE THIS WITH WHAT STEEL PLAYERS CALL "CABINET DROP." (Steel players compensate for tuning when pressing down multiple pedals like the A+B - - push down two pedals hard, and it will bend the body of the steel guitar down) If you push out the guitar too hard it is the same as "Headstock Bend" but in the other direction - that is because you are pushing the guitar neck out and the body of the guitar is being held back by the belt loop strap, all 6 strings will drop in pitch about a quarter step. So you have to train yourself to not do a "violent" pull with the G Bender....basically, it takes a ton more touch to play a Double Bender. On a really fast G pull that can be really tough. But once you have control over the motion the rewards make it well worth-while.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

6. BadJuju

BadJuju TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Hanover, PA
    That was really cool! Really liked how it sounded with the harmonics about a minute before the end. Very nice!

7. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Outstanding playing - a great tune and a great showcase for that double bender.
    Thanks for sharing that!

8. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Dec 31, 2008
    PA
    man, that is just so cool

(I must have listened and watched about 25 times in the last two days)

9. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern California
    that's really nice. nice gear too.

10. BellyfullaTele

BellyfullaTele TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Michigan
    Thank you for the complete answer! But I think I am going to just add one bender to mine. Forrest still has really good turn-around time. I just have to decide on whether to get a G or a B that gets activated by the guitar strap. Look forward to the next video!!!!!!

11. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    That was great.

Would you mind sharing what grips you are using 0:21 - 0:26 ?

Thanks for posting.

12. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Guess I have to start woodshedding again.

13. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Jul 25, 2009
    san bernardino
    Answer to Jason R's question:

I am using my thumb to hold down the low E string as I move the chord form up. First chord is a D with the F# held down on the low E - I am only playing the Low E, the G string and B string. Then it goes up 2 frets, then two more before going to the final Esus and E chord - again, just using three strings so that no open strings are involved in this triad progression.
    Kevin

14. ForrestLeeJr

ForrestLeeJr Tele-Meister

Nov 3, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm getting backed up guys! I can still do benders in a minimal time frame, singles a couple weeks, doubles in a month. But custom builds from the ground up are backed up 3 months now... and Really elaborate finish work takes a bit longer.
    Also I'm going to be touring in Europe next summer unless this tour falls through, and that will set me back another 2 months.

If you are going to NAMM, let me know (actually Cheryl will let me know, just e-mail her at Sales@OutWestRecords.com) I should be in and around the Washburn booth Thursday morning. Hey Kevin, will you TAB out my videos? lol

15. ShRedneck

ShRedneck Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Great stuff, Kevin! I love the tone on the Z! Of course, you've made me miss my B-bender even more! Someday... :)

16. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2003
    Amarillo, TX
    That's very cool!

So the drop-D tuning makes it generally more conducive to the use of the G-bender? Or more so with a certain way YOU are using it in your playing? Sorry, not well schooled on benders.

Jason G

17. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 16, 2010
    New York City
    sweeeeeeeet....really fine sounds, hombre....

18. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Jul 25, 2009
    san bernardino
    Not meaning to bump, this one has been on here long enough, but I want to answer Jason G's & Forrest Lee's question. What I should have said is that when using open stings the G pulls up to the A note which is a primary note in the D triad. Also, since A is the root note for an "A" chord and A is a primary chord in the D - G - A progression, a G string pull works great in the open position for the entire chord series. And the B pull to C# works pretty well too.
    WHAT I did not quite get across is that most Chicken Picking stuff is done in A and G - D is not used so much, but with a Double Bender it is really best to know your licks in the key of D! B. Paisley uses D quite often on his G Bender.
    Forrest - my eyes do not see fast enough to TAB your stuff and my ears hear too slow to tab your stuff - but if we could make a few bucks repackaging the "Best of Forrest Lee Jr. / with TABS" I might be able to help out - but TABing has always been the most frustrating and vexing thing I have done. But you have some solos that need to be made available to the public -
    K

19. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2003
    Amarillo, TX
    Have you considered some software to assist you in TABing?

I've been looking at composing and scoring software for some time now(one of my secret ambitions is to write/arrange some multi-part/voice, multi-stave compositions for the like of a choir, orchestra or symphony, etc) Even simple 2 part vocal arrangements would be nice to use something like this to "audition" various creative harmonies that don't sound so generic.

Anyway, some of this software is very powerful and intuitive. I've been looking at some from Sibelius. Their software allows for input via live playing/CD/MP3 or even just "singing" a part or idea in your head and having it put to score. That part can then be added to in numerous ways, assigned different "voices", i.e a tuba/sax/cello. Also, you can of course transcribe it into any key signature, assign it any clef, etc. You can see the power potential of this stuff.

Well, there are software by Sibelius and others that help author TABs via keyboard/mouse input, midi input, live playing, MP3, etc.

Don't know when or if I'll be able to go forward with some of these tools. But it sure would be super cool... much better than the crude way I put together TABs, lead sheets, etc now!

cheers,

Jason G

20. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2003
    Amarillo, TX
    One more thing. I think there would be some bucks to be made doing this. Maybe lots of bucks:D And with original material plus some basic beginner, intermediate, and advanced "lessons", no fear or need to worry about copyright concerns. It'd more than pay for itself after you first run of releases.

my opinion of course,

JG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.