Being Waylon Jennings...any takers?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by westex93, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Lots of folks never heard this one.

2. WGDJ

WGDJ TDPRI Member

Out of phase in series or paralle? Like thge S1 switching?

3. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

4. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

5. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Glad someone revived this thread, always been a Waylon fan. It would be hard to pick a favorite, I sing several of his, but like most everything he did. Got a chance to meet him back in 73 I think, told him I thought I had all his records, even when he was doing "Western" music. He told me he was still doing "Western" music.

6. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

The acoustic stuff on Rose in Paradise is Randy Scruggs, Earl's son. Beautiful stuff, there is another song on the same album called Between Fathers and Sons that never got much airplay but is also just great.

7. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Here is Part 2. Not the best video but I think this kid has a good understanding of Waylon's playing so the information is relevant.

8. telejake89

telejake89 TDPRI Member

The neck and bridge pickups out of phase with eachother hope that helps WGDJ

9. WGDJ

WGDJ TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply but I'm interested in, is this sound obtainable with S1 switching or just a 4 way switch? I play alot of Waylon stuff....er try to and I think this would be great but would like to keep the regular 3way traditional sounds as well.

I been thinking about this since I read your post and also believe it might perhaps confuse people(sound wise) of how much he actually used his phaser. Not as often as people think, I believe.

Also if any one has wiring diagram for the standard out of phase the Telejake89 is refering to or my other Idea of being able to obtain this sound from S1.
    that would be most appreciated! I mean how cool would it be to have a Waylon Switch!

10. telejake89

telejake89 TDPRI Member

Ok so my main Tele now has a Waylon switch!! i just finished wiring a push pull phase switch on the tone control plugged in my phase 90 and boom instant waylon tone.
    Im blown away! it was the missing ingredient. Now i need to woodshed till my fingers fall off.

11. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

Who played the solo on the version of Just To Satisfy You that Waylon recorded with Willie Nelson? Very cool!

12. WGDJ

WGDJ TDPRI Member

That cut was on the Waylon & Company album.

I checked his book and the internet and found nothing. But I'll bet it's listed inside the jacket.

My guess though would be Reggie Young.

13. hobo mississipp

hobo mississipp TDPRI Member

14. Casey_WGDJ

Casey_WGDJ TDPRI Member

I just checked my Black On Black album, and it doesn't list who plays on what.

With that said, I would be stunned if it wasn't Reggie Young playing on that track. It has his tone and style written all over it. His tone when Chips Moman was producing was something unique and quite special, IMO.

15. WGDJ

WGDJ TDPRI Member

Casey, love your tutorials. filled in a few holes for me. My biggest problem is that there are to many versions of the same Waylon song in my head, and I seldom play along with anything.

Once Again Great tutorials,
    Thanks

16. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Waylon was my first country concert in around 1968. He had a cast on his leg...not sure what happened, but it didn't affect his singing or playing. I remember him teasing his drummer about his long hair. I think he was using a Pro Reverb amp and the rhythm player used a Fender 12 string electric. The opening act was Jack Greene, another country legend. Maybe that concert is why I've had half a dozen telecasters over the years.

17. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Waylons phaser. Back in the mid 70's while living in the UK I watched a video of Waylon singing and the camera focused on the pedal at his feet and I could read that it said Small Stone. So I phoned around a few music shops until I found one that stocked a Small Stone and bought it. That was the start of my 'Waylon sound'. I've always loved his music and even managed to meet him at the airport and got him to autograph my Custom Built Tele along with the rest of the Highwaymen. I have posted this pic before but here it is again

Attached Files:

18. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

My band had the opportunity to be the opening act and then backing band for Waylon's grandson Whey this past weekend. There was some kind of scheduling snafu and we where asked only 10 days before the gig if wanted it. We practiced our asses off and learned something like 33 songs in that short period. We didn't have all the fills and solos down perfect but Whey was very understanding and patient and very cool about stuff. The other guitar player and myself got to perform one of his originals "Old Empty Bottles" live with him on the local FM country station.Whey doesn't play guitar so I can't add a lot as far guitar tips go, but I can tell you the crowd really digs all those old songs, especially Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way. It was a fun day and Whey Jennings is a class act.

19. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  20. olewaylon

olewaylon TDPRI Member

Figured I should make my first post in here, to bump the thread. I would love to see if anybody has some new Waylon tabs to share. It seem there are so few Waylon tabs to be found. This thread is by far best thing I've fund so far.

Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.