Being Don Rich----> Play his licks

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by getbent, Nov 14, 2008.

1. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think Leon means the CODE button.

2. Jumpingjank

Jumpingjank Tele-Meister

hey DaveG i could be wrong but it could be from the movie country goes broadway im not sure its the same sorta set as when george jones was on it but i could be wrong .

3. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

This thread is my most visited here on the forum, thanks to everybody for sharing your knowledge and tips.

Any chance somebody could list the songs with the key and tuning? I'll start with the few I've figured out. At least I think these are correct from trying to play along:

"Act Naturally": key of G, tuned down a whole step, played in the A position

"Before You Go": key of Ab, tuned down a 1/2 step and played in the A position

"Tiger by the Tail": key of E, standard tuning

Those are the only one's I've been practicing lately. Took me awhile to figure out how to play along with the recording of "Act Naturally".

thessandman likes this.
  4. Jumpingjank

Jumpingjank Tele-Meister

hi steam, was reading up on this and saw you're post. Lerb21 will be able to answer this as i asked the same thing countless times !.

5. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Its funny - but I was so weaned on the Don Rich sound in country music growing up, it's what I hear in my head before and during launching into just about any country solo. If I just play naturally, that's as far as I go, just basically copying that Don Rich Buck Owens Bakersfield sound, but to update it is the only time I have to reach into any other bag of tricks.

What's funny is its not really ever adding any taste to the music above and beyond what keeping it simple would. Even Brent Mason and all the Nashville hotshots stole that for the basis from which to launch into what's become a more complex version of Don Rich type sounds.

But when I'm relaxed and have nothing to prove, or am not working on sounding like the latest speedy hotshots, I just relax into that old fashioned Don Rich type stuff. Its very simple and always fits the song in a tastey manner. I don't know much about Rich's background, but he seems to have a lot less jazz or wing influence than say Roy Nichols, who's liable to throw in many more ear twisters than Rich. I have to admit, I love those ear twisters Nichols colored much of Merle Haggards stuff with to make it his signature sound. But it comes less natural for me than keeping straight like Rich did.
    I'm just glad I started with Don Rich licks first as I think its the perfect basis from which to start your country repertoire.

He didn't seem to have as much Jazz or bluegrass influence, or maybe he holds it in reserve for the sake of the tune. But master the Don Rich licks then move on to Roy Nichols and Jerry Reed for the perfect base to form your own unique sound. However, you could start and stop with Don Rich and never be wrong.

6. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

On Before you go I found it easier to just stay in standard tuning and play in A flat pos.
    Actually kind of fun too, since I hadn't done that much before. Better that way too for a live situation when you don't have time to tune.

7. BrentCollins112

BrentCollins112 TDPRI Member

Wow this thread is awesome. I wanted to give this a bump! Love me some Don Rich licks!

8. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Nice Don Rich intro to the song Aw Heck. The intro chords are

G - Abdim - D/A - B7 - E9 - A7 - D

Code:
    --7--8--9--10--7---------9--7-------------------------------
    --------------------8-----------9------10--7---------8--7--
    -----------------------7-----------10----------7------------
    ---------------------------------------------------7---------
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------

----------------2--0--------0----------
    -------------3--------3--2----3-----
    --7-s-1--4---------------------------
    --------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Here is a continuation of the previous post. The first verse to Aw Heck. The chords are:

D - E - A - D - G - D - Bm - E - D

Code:
    --------------------------------5-----------------------------------0--2--0--2--
    ---------3--2--3--5--3--5--5s7----7---5b(6)r(5)p3-5--3----------3-------------
    --2--4----------------------------------------------------2--4------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-5--2------------------------2-5-2--------------2--4--2----5----------------------------
    -------------2-3-2-3-5-3-5---------6r(5)-3--5-----------5-------------------------
    -------2--4---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------5-----------2-2-x-3--5--7---------------------------------------
    -------2-3-2-3-3-5-3-5-5s7--7-6r(5)-3-----------7--8-----------------------------------------------------
    -2--4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----7--10--7----------------------------------------2-0-------0----------------------------------
    ---8-----------10s3------3--5b(6)r(5)-3-----------3-------3-2----2----------------------------------
    -7-------------------2h4------------------4-2-1-4---------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

Buckeroo's "Jingle Bells"

Can anybody tab out the Buckeroo"s version of Jingle Bells for me? I tried but am flummoxed about the word "bells"!! Thanks!

11. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Jingle Bells (song is in the key of Eb)

---------------------------------------------1st string
    ----8-8----8--8--8---8----8--8--------------2nd string
    ----8-8----7--7----------------------------- 3rd string
    -----------------10--10---9--9-------------- 4th string

Is this what you are looking for fast eddie?
    Or do you want the whole tune tabbed?

12. fasteddie455

fasteddie455 Tele-Meister

Well what you have given me helps abunch! Iffen I ask real real nicely like, could ya do the whole song? Gosh that sound like a lot to ask. However much you feel like doing will greatly be appreciated, I assure you.

Thank you.
    Fasteddie

13. guitar-tom

guitar-tom NEW MEMBER!

waiting in your welfare line solo?

Please i have been searching but i can not find the solo for waiting in your welfare line. I love all of the buckaroos songs and can play all the chords and the solos that youtubers have put on. So if someone has the tab pleas send me an email. Thomasbucacci@gmail.com

14. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

that was actually james burton, but i wouldn't mind seeing a transcribe for that either :cool:

15. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

16. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I've been playing pedal steel about 99% of the time for the last 2 years, but my volume pedal went out this week so while I was waiting for a new pot, I thought I'd brush up on my 6 string pickin.' I was playing along to the "Before You Go" record by Buck Owens and the Buckaroos and worked out the "Before You Go" motif. I thought about posting it here, double checked and saw that ol' Lerb had already done it up, a long time ago.

Either way I am bumping up this deal GetBent started.
    Also, I will take a stab at any Don Rich/Buck Owens tab requests anybody may have. Such a great thread!

17. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

This... still... exists? :D

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Since GetBent is on vacation, I figured I'd bump my favorite thread of his. Great, great stuff. Thank you GB and Lerb. I've been getting back into Buck lately and revisiting this amazing wealth of Buckarooness.

19. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Amen!

20. parcellecaster

parcellecaster TDPRI Member

Studio cut of Open up your heart
    was James Burton 100% sure of that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.