Behringer club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by jaybones, Nov 18, 2018.

1. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Didn't find one so I thought I'd start one.

I have 3.

Ultra Chorus (1st Behringer), 7 band EQ, and the Ultra Octaver (just ordered from the 'Bay for $22 NIB shipped).

I know a lot of people are down on these- all plastic construction, cheap battery box. But unless you drop it off a sky scraper and use an adapter those don't matter.

CigBurn likes this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Behringer reverb pedal that sounded fantastic. Its plastic construction was not a problem. I don't stomp on things like an elephant.

CigBurn likes this.
  3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I own four Behringer pedals. I started out buying the UT300 Ultra Tremolo for use at home with several amps that don't have it built in. I don't use any pedals on my gigs. I run straight to the amp. I was so impressed with the quality and sound of this pedal that I bought three other Behringer pedals. I really like the feel and finish of these pedals. They feel solid, are lighter than other's metal pedals and won't chip, rust or corrode in the future. Cars built for the last 40 years are half plastic, deemed safer and better. I have no gripe about Behringer's pedals. I can afford to buy more expensive pedals, but why would I? These sound nice and look nice, and definitely do the trick for me.

CigBurn likes this.
  4. CigBurn

CigBurn TDPRI Member

When I first started playing again about 5 years ago now (dang time flies), I picked up a Tu300 tuner and the DR400 reverb delay. I figured they'd be ok to get me going and not spend much. In the years that followed I bought others as well, with the idea I would upgrade if a pedal turned out to be something I used a lot. So I have a box with well over a dozen Behringer pedals in it that over time I ended up upgrading or finding I didn't have much use for. I have a couple of shelves of other pedals of various makes, Boss, MXR, EHX the usual suspects that are also in semi retirement.

Long story short, the tuner and reverb/delay are still on my pedal board. The tuner works as well as any I've tried I suppose so it will live out its life holding its prime position on the board. The delay reverb is another thing. I see demos all the time for these awesome units that can create these gorgeous soundscapes in the demos and man its sometimes really tempting. But then I look at how I actually use delay and reverb and I figure it's overkill for my purposes. So that too will likely live out its existence at the end of my pedal chain.

Are there better options out there? sure. But if a guy is looking to see how certain effects work for his individual needs they are a decent way to get in the ballpark for easy money.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

I have 3 the tuner pedal, the Vintage Tube Monster and the Vintage Time Machine.

I don't use the tuner pedal that much, preferring to use a Korg instead.

The Tube Monster is OK but I have other overdrives I like better.

I've tried to like the Time Machine but I just can't get along with it on most occasions.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've got a few.
    The VT999 is quite a good unit, albeit not quite as advertised. Many op-amps and a valve for flavour. I don't know how much the valve features, but changing valves alters the sounds. Odd how the valve never seems to glow, or get more than warm to the touch. Very useful 3 band EQ and despite my reservations as to the role of the valve, some satisfying sounds to be had.
    VT911. Someone goofed with the specs on this. As an overdrive, it sucks. As a device for wreaking sonic havoc when covering Stooges, it is rather good. Loud, brash and buzzy. Used for one sound and one sound only. Spatty, spitty, nasty, which if that's what you're after, all is well. More distortofuzz than overdrive.
    UT300 Tremolo. I didn't get on with it at first, until I played around with its position in the chain. When used subtly, it has some charm. Great for 'Rumble' moments.
    CL9 Compressor/Limiter. Always on. Set subtle and it sparkles. Very easy to get it wrong though.
    VD400 Vintage Delay. A delay, and not a bad one.
    Vintage Phaser. Not bad, when it worked, then it started acting like a tone-suck. Never did figure out why.
    Hellbabe Wah. An optical wah with many good points. Used mainly as an on demand treble boost, but some good wakka-wakka and chikka-chikka can be had too.

TU300 Tuner. No longer on my board. I found it flicked about too much, as if it was too sensitive. I ended up using it as a mute, then tuning to a headstock clip on.
    Ultra Octaver. Useless. Very poor tracking with an underlying sound of Daleks copulating.
    Ultra Harmonist. As a harmoniser, it has issues. Mainly issues of suckage. A better octaver than the Ultra Octaver. It does have a couple of interesting settings for whammy, which it does quite well, but that's it. Like the octaver, it fails its core competence.

I used to own a Behringer Vintager GM110 amplifier. The first model with the 8 Ohm Jensen speaker. I later came to realise it was a ripoff of a Tech 21 product. It had D.I out, an effects loop, gain, TMB and master volume. What it also had was amp and speaker emulations. The speaker emulations made three fifths of smeg all difference through the built in speaker, but really came to the fore through the D.I. Overall, a great sounding amp. Not powerful enough to cut it live on its own, but D.I to the front of house and use it as a personal monitor and it was quite a capable amp. Behringer claimed 30 Watts for it. Mwahaha!. That'd be 30 Watts transient. More like 15~20 Watts RMS. Just enough to hang with a drummer in the practice room, not enough without P.A support live. Could sound really good. Not waterproof though, which was its demise.

Ultra-G D.I. ( The red one ) This is a basic D.I with switchable cab emulation. The emulation is pretty good too. It can sit at the end of an effects chain, or in the speaker connection. It has various pad options to suit its positioning. Phantom power or 9V battery. Rather good really.

Ultra-D.I ( the silver one ) This is a basic D.I without cab emulation. I use it for the Trio+ bass and drums and it does the job without fuss. I've also used it with bass guitar and an overdrive with some success.

7. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

The Ultra Octaver arrived today. Unboxed, put in new battery, plugged, turned up and channeled some Jimi.

Had a brief hiccup when I couldn't get the pedal to work. Turned out the battery cover/foot switch wasn't quite centered (little spring loaded hinge hadn't popped out fully on the switch side- would lift up instead of depressing the plunger fully. Got it sorted out and working fine).

The note(s) seemed to track fine. No unwanted distortion, the level knob(s) on the octave(s) was pretty slick as was the signal mix knob.

8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have 2 Behringer VT999 pedals, robust and great sounding. I always change the tube to NOS and a 12AU7 variant.

9. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    i have an ultra curve II and a mixer :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.