Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Beginner Pedal Steel Player Wannabe

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Rythameen, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:02 PM.

1. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Ok, I have always been fascinated by pedal steel. I've also heard the old adage if you always want a gig, play pedal steel. Anyways, I think I want to try it. I have played slide guitar since I saw Bonnie Raitt in 1971. I have a 6 string lap slide I play a lot and of course my reso for bottleneck. I have played around with C6 tuning on it, but mostly play it it open G or open D. So I don't have any problems with intonation using a slide or bar, or with using finger picks or muting. So, what is it going to cost me to get a PSG? I've read about a Carter Starter, but it seems like they are out of business. Then I heard of Stage One, but their website says they are not taking any orders in the foreseeable future. I was hoping to keep it around$1,000 or even less would be nice. Any words of wisdom?

2. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Southern Indiana
    JayFreddy likes this.

3. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yes, i have been looking over that site. As far as Stage One, their website says they are so backed up that they are not taking any orders and don't know when they will.

4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    If you're up for driving to San Diego, you should make an appointment to visit Steel Guitars of North County. The owner, Jim, is a great guy to deal with and has pedal steels in stock at every price point. He refurbishes older steels as well. He's an extremely well-respected guy in the steel guitar community – he won't steer you wrong.

http://www.steelguitars.me/Contact_Us.html

5. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Southern Indiana
    These come up used fairly often. That how I got mine. If you keep an eye on the For Sale ads there, you'll see them. Good luck!

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    You can get a used pro level PSG for the same price as a new student model.

Try and find a guitar with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. That's been a common set up for years, and there are lots of good steels in the 1200-1500 range.

Carter's regular S10 is a good guitar. They made a ton of em, so it's a good option as far as bang for your buck.

Very few of the classic PSG manufacturers are still in business. Shobud, Carter, Rains, etc., are all gone, but the guitars they made are still going strong.

I am partial to MSA guitars, but the new ones are a different design, different materials, and different people from the old ones. I like both the new and the old MSA guitars, but I can't afford a new one!

It's sad that I feel the need to say this, but beware of old steelers who will lie to you. Many of them are just waiting for an unsuspecting beginner to unload their old project guitar on...

Do a search for "cabinet drop"...

I've met a few nice folks in the PSG world, but sadly I've met many scammers too.

Don't take someone's word for it.

If at all possible, have a friend who can already play help you find something.

The classified section of the steel guitar forum is a good place to look, but ideally you'll still want to have it delivered to a shop that can do a visual inspection, restring, and set up for you right at first.

Even when they are working correctly, a pedal steel guitar is a complex instrument with many different parts. If one or two parts are slightly off, they can be literally impossible to keep in tune.

Good luck, be careful, and have fun!

7. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    PS. You don't get paid to play pedal steel, you get paid to cart it around, carry it up and down stairs, and set it up in less time than it takes the drummer to set up their entire ethno-percussion set... ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM

8. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks for all the tips guys, but I'm afraid a pedal steel is going on the back burner for awhile. Went into work this morning and they called the entire department into a meeting and laid everyone off from the director on down. Took them about 90 seconds of talking then they left us to wait for our exit interviews. Not a good day.

9. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Sorry to hear. That especially sucks right before the holidays. I hope you find something better soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.