Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Beginner looking for a bedroom practice amp - Monoprice 15 or Katana 50?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stingray7, Oct 6, 2018.

1. deep

deep Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2006
    Kathmandu, Nepal
    THR10 or THR10C. There's also a THR10X for Metal players.

Sollipsist likes this.

2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    For cleans, my advice is a Fender Mustang 1. For around/ under $100 you get some great Twin & Bassman models, among many others. Plenty of built in pedal and rack effect models, too. And it will get loud enough to go up against a (moderately restrained) drummer, if you ever need it to.

For high gain, THR10x is the best little amp ever. It even does a decent mid gain.

And both record beautifully via USB, sound great at whisper levels, and have decent headphone outs if whisper levels are too loud. Between the two of them, I haven't needed to bring out the tube amps at home in a long time.

3. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I have a digital amp is a line 6 spider and set on the twang setting which is best, or on the clean sound is ok even when i use an outside distortion pedal, even the spider by its self dont sound that bad. They are good for home use and as said above one can play around abit with making different tones and sounds when one gets bored.

I have never played through a katana 50 btw so i cant comment.

4. Basplr

Basplr TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    The katana takes pedals just fine. Much better than the THR10 in my experience. The crunch channel works great for edge of breakup dirt that you can goose with a boost or overdrive. The clean channel works nicely if you want all of your dirt from pedals. Even the built-in drives are totally serviceable for a beginner. An effects loop would be nice for better verb and a looper though...

I had the monoprice and sold it as it just didn't sounds great at bedroom volumes fwiw.

DougM, Nubs and gkterry like this.

5. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    My Katana 50 takes pedals just fine.

6. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK.
    Fender Champion 20. It even takes headphones. I gig with two of them Fantatic little beasts.

7. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I like the monoprice 15, and use it on the 1 watt setting. It's still loud at even that, but it sounds like a "real" amplifier and its gain is actually really good. It's got plenty of headroom if you want to back off of the gain and use pedals.

I'd make the decision between whether you want a modeling amp and a gaggle of sounds, or if you're just looking for something simple that will sound like a tube amp and have a couple of basic options at your feet (OD, distortion, compressor, noise gate).

I used modeling amps (and fx processors) for a lot of years, but have sold most of that stuff off and just use two amps (hopefully one, soon) and a couple of simple pedals. If I want one guitar to sound like another guitar, I just buy "another guitar" instead. It results in more playing and less fiddling.

8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I had a spider 2 amp, too. As much as people rag on them, it was a great amp for room level playing. IIRC, it's got some compression built in, or something that takes some of the harshness off of your playing, so if you're looking really to get down to the nitty gritty of working on how clean your playing will sound (so that you can record or something), it's lacking a little there.

They are dirt cheap around here in the smaller amps, too. Sometimes fifty bucks.

9. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    I own, like both. Get the Katana. It's superior in flexibility, build quality; not inferior in sound.

10. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    I use mine alot i use the boss micro br 80 through it, and then use the wing ballard setting, although you can find a close tone on any multi type pedal and this seems ok to me.

I have the bass right up and the volumue on my guitar, plus i use neck pick up as well and then set the amp controls for my tone likings, then add some delay and reverb also.

11. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2015
    North Carolina
    The Katana takes pedals awesome! I’ve started a small pedal board with a few BOSS pedals and it’s great! I’m a knob tweaker and prefer that to hooking up the laptop, but the option is there! I seriously don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

I’ve added a DM-2w since this pic was taken.

IMG_4003.JPG

12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    Katana does pedals well. You been misinformed.

13. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    I have a Katana 100, a Blues Junior and a Mustang GT 100. The Mustang is the way to go. Does everything and has 200 presets. One for every song. Needs no pedals!

14. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Agreed. I have a Katana 100 and it takes pedals like a king all day long. The only exception is a looper pedal which I find doesn't work too well in front of the amp.

15. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Whoever says that the Katana doesn't take pedals well is just plain wrong. I have the Katana 50 and it sounds glorious on the clean and crunch models with a good overdrive pedal, my favorites being a Klon type, of which I have several, and the Caline Pure Sky, which is a Timmy clone. And I have tinnitus, so I play at really low volume levels, 'cause any loud volume hurts my ears, and the Kat on the 1/2 watt setting sounds better at those low volume levels than any other amp that I've ever owned. FWIW, I also own the Mustang 1 and Mustang GT40, and I think the Mustang 1 is the worst with pedals of the three, with the GT40 close to the Katana. But honestly, since I got the Katana, I rarely play the other two, and play the Katana every day.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 5:33 PM

16. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I gig regularly with my Kat 50, plus use it in a quiet setting at home. It takes pedals well- I use a boost and OCD with it.

17. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    I liked my THR10C for cleans and the effects but never got a decent overdriven tone out of it. Katana is much better in that regard. I just picked up a Champion 20 used for a very good price and it's a good choice except for the flabby/fizzy speaker.

I'm getting a pretty decent tweedish tone on the Katana clean channel with bass just over half way, mids almost maxed and treble set very low.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.