Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Been to Nashville..........

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by J Lacey, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, I was all ready to love Tootsie's, because of it's reputation of course, but between being too packed to even get in, and the bands being good but not great, we had MUCH more fun at Robert's. The best musicians/bands I saw were at Robert's. At least the week we were there.

I found it interesting how quite a few musicians play in multiple bands... I'd see Slick Joe Fick playing in a rockabilly band, then after go do 3 sets with Don Kelley because his normal bass player couldn't make it. Then I saw a female fiddle player who was playing in a Hank III-type band, head over to Printer's alley after the gig to play fiddle in a cover band later that night.

Joe Fick told me he (and the GOOD bands...the ones that are always playing like Don Kelley) makes about $250 each per night...per band member. ALL of it from the "pickle jar" (passed around for band tips)... the bars don't pay the band anything. $1000/night is a pretty good payout for a band.

2. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

JD is a great player. One not to be missed if you are headed to Nashville. Wed-Sat 6-10pm. When you get hungry, head next door to Jack's BBQ.

3. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

Been there too...love that place...Travis Mann Band is pretty awesome with Kenny Vaughan on guitar too.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jeepnstein

jeepnstein Tele-Meister

That is just plain sick. I'm thinking he can play whatever he darn well wants.

6. KMoss

KMoss TDPRI Member

Hey J, glad ya had a good time here in Nashville. Come back when ya stay longer. This town's full of great pickers. You're always welcome...we got plenty of room.

7. ruger9

Kenny Vaughan plays with Travis Mann... CURRENTLY????

8. ruger9

Well, he claims he can't really chicken pick- he flatpicks everything. But do a search in this forum for "simo" in the titles, and there's a recent thread with alot of discussion about him.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Tele-Afflicted

JD is a great guitar player. Apparently Kenny Vaughan is playing an RS Guitarworks Tele lately, too, that Silver Sparkle Tele that Kenny has been playing lately on the Marty Stuart show is made by RS Guitarworks

There's no shortage of great guitarists in Nashville, including of course Steve Wariner, Vince Gill & Brent Mason...

As far as Lower Broadway goes, check out the Silver Threads sometime, with the Legendary Rich Gilbert on guitar (Joe Fick plays with them alot too). Also Rick Wright plays on Lower Broadway sometimes, too, and Rod Riley is another super great guitar player down there, too

There's a singer down there on Lower Broadway named Sarah Gayle Meech, she's someone to really keep an eye on, an incredible Country voice, she's got a little bit of a Loretta Lynn thing she can do with her voice

I love Nashville. Hope to live there someday

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Tele-Afflicted

OK, found out the band The Music City Playboys with the great Rick Wright on guitar and Randy Mason on drums plays every Monday on Lower Broadway at Nashville Crossroads, and then they play every Tuesday and Wednesday at the Music City Bar and Grill (2416 Music Valley Drive - Unit 161)

If you like Tradition Country guitar pickin', Rick Wright is fantastic

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Music-City-Playboys/162313000479941?sk=wall

11. AJ Love

AJ Love Tele-Afflicted

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Tele-Afflicted

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Tele-Afflicted

Check out who is sitting in on this song (and I believe that is Randy & Brent's Mom on vocals!)

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Tele-Afflicted

15. johnnytronics

johnnytronics Tele-Holic

The real deal..........Thanks for posting!:p

16. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

if your in nashville on a monday,you can also watch johnny hiland play at layla's with mike oldham,shaun baker,ron lutrick and steel guitar hall of famer doug jernigan!! my new favorite band on broadway!! im there just about every week and johnny always insists that i sit in for a few songs!!

17. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

I saw Mr. Wright playing with Connie Smith's band. Amazing player.

18. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I like this guy a lot. Except for two things. He should play a maple neck instead of rosewood and at some point fast becomes like wallpaper. Tasty is in the right note not necessarily the next note.

19. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

I meant to mention another buddy of mine that plays downtown in Nashville when he's not on the road is Phil Valdez.Monster Tele player and a great guy,he plays for Daryle Singletary,he's got some SMOKING Tele Chops!!

20. bontay50

bontay50 TDPRI Member

Johnny Hiland is awesome...go to nashville just to hear and watch this legally blind guy play....roberts is my favorite honky tonk on the strip...i have played there, second fiddle and tootsie's...

21. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

What damn difference what fretboard he uses? If you can play any better,i would love to hear it. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.