Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Been to Nashville..........

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by J Lacey, Feb 14, 2012.

1. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Watched JD Simo for an hour about 10 feet away from the stage at Roberts in Nashville Saturday night. Playing an RS guitars Tele. Now it's Tues. and I still can't get my head back on straight. Blew us away. If you havn't seen or heard of JD...........check him out. Im sellin' my stuff.

Jeffro

2. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

whats an RS guitar:?::oops:

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Wait a minute or two, we might have a garage sale.

Nothing derogatory meant, but he kind of looks like Sererus Snape.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. garytelecastor

I guess he is playing with Don Kelley.
    That's where Albert Lee, Brent Mason, both got their starts.

6. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Thanks Gary for the info and link. Yes the Don Kelley Band. Also got to see the stand up bass player slick Joe Fick which was a treat as well. I was there working a trade show all weekend at the convention center at the opry land hotel and wanted to take my helper down town since he'd never seen Gruhn's(sp?) guitars (he plays as well) or any of the night life there. Had seen JD on you tube alot and hoped to find Roberts. I knew that area had all those 'ol rough bars 'cause I'd been there before but wasn't sure if that's where Roberts was. Sure enough it didn't take long to find our way there and it was standing room only but worth it. Pretty impressive to say the least.

Jeffro

7. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I've always wondered about their guitars. My Esquire is loaded up with their works. Probably going to load my Teisco up with some more. Something about having a big ass shiny capacitor in the signal. JD Simo sounds fantastic through that Marshall at the shop. Very cool player.

8. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

I saw JD last April a few times. He is an amazing picker! Don't do yourself the disservice of missing Monty Good and the Honky Tonk Heroes. There are a couple players, and they are amazing...albeit a bit less flashy with their stage presence.

James Mitchell, in particular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSCKd9bT7IQ

9. bargoedboy

bargoedboy Tele-Afflicted

I saw JD with Don Kelly band sept 10. Great player, bloody loud though. surprised me to be honest how loud bands play in Nashville.
    Not sure if I agree with Albert Lee getting his "start" with Don Kelly though:D

10. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Don't know if the thread is about Robert's or JD...but I'd like to put a plug in for some clubs that aren't downtown.

Third and Lindsley, The Basement and Mercy Lounge/Cannery are all near downtown and always have great bands, (of course, every band playing in Nashville is awesome).

And my absolute favorite club is The Family Wash in East Nashville. Check out Tuesday nights...Pint and a Pie for $10, short sets by neighborhood musicians, (you'll be amazed at the folks you recognize), and the bar owner's band usually closes the night, and this is a good thing.

11. garytelecastor

Yeah, my mistake. Sorry. It was late and I had just read an article with an Albert Lee interview, so he was kind of on my brain.

I meant Johnny Hiland, Redd, Kenny Vaughn, and Guthrie Trapp.

I screwed up, I wanted to post Redd, but I was tired. Again, my apologies.

12. jaxn slim

jaxn slim TDPRI Member

He's a great player.

13. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

Don Kelly has turned out lots of killer players Brent Mason,Redd Volkaert,Johnny Hilland,Guthrie Trapp,and add JD to the list.

14. DblStop

DblStop Tele-Holic

15. guitar dan

guitar dan Tele-Afflicted

16. momotrucker

momotrucker Tele-Meister

but what does he do for an encore?

17. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I try to "get into" this recent country guitar stuff, like this cat, but . . . just don't like it. Maybe that sounds stupid, but it's my impression. Seems like 90% rock, 10% country. I'd personally prefer the opposite percentages.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

those are all the places we DIDN'T get to, simply because they weren't within walking distance (we stayed 3 blocks from Broadway/Honky Tonk Row), and the wife and I wanted to "enjoy ourselves", if you know what I mean, :cool: Next time I go, I'll definitely hit the places I missed last time.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

i don't divide by genres anymore. It's either "good" or it's "not." JD is "good". As is the Don Kelley band, who I think you would like very much if you're into traditional country... alot of their setlist is Cash, Haggard, etc... with a hot-rodded guitar player. JD brings the house down every set.

Go to youtube and check out Don Kelley Band

20. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Holic

Yup, that's modern country for ya.

I also saw him in Nashville a month or so back and he is a great guitar player, but definitely leaning more to the rock side of things. From what I was told, he has his own side band and they do all bluesy rock stuff and no country.

Interesting interview here. He talks about how he was just about on the street when DK met him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeWh2fXjyoo

21. paulitik

paulitik Tele-Meister

I've seen great bands at every place you mentioned.

I used to live about 2-3 blocks away from the Family Wash. GREAT Bar. The rock scene in Nashville is every bit as good as the Country scene. I had a lot of fun the few years I lived there. I wish DC's scene was as good. Thank goodness for the 9:30 club and the Black Cat.

Don't forget Exit In, and I forgot the name of the bar across the street, I've seen a bunch of great bands there too.

BTW, Robert's is my favorite of the Honky Tonks. definitely more Rockabilly than Country. I'd take friends that hated Country there and they always had a good time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.