Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Been off the grid a while. What happened to Peavey?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Les H, Aug 22, 2018.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh he's not that bad, but if you wanted to, just search for "poast". ;)

Obsessed likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think Hartley went way out of his way to walk out on the limb - and left himself no place to go when the limb got cut.

I was in the South during pretty much the entire life cycle of Peavey and at one time, we were very proud of the products coming from Lauderdale County. Were these products even a little more popular in country bands? Yeah. But almost everyone was wise enough to know the Peavey amps were battle tested and could get you decent live sound for relatively little money, in the states in rough proximity to the facility in Miss.

Peavey was immersed enough in the money aspect of things that he had to know, when Globalism was uncorked, he needed to let the loyal customer base know he would try to make things 100% USA, if and when he could but he wasn't interested in going broke trying to do it once it wasn't possible anymore.

The guy instead chose a "Don't Bend Don't Bend/Break" approach and needed to take back all the nutty representations he'd made to stay 100% USA. Instead he tried to do it with lies. He put mindless and unnecessary squeezes on the workforce there and drove devoted employees out - folks that were the heart and soul. No faster way to anger a customer than to tell him the mdse he bought is 100% USA, through and through and then you open up the back and the fan and a couple other parts are clearly "Made in China". Most people would understand if told the full truth. Peavey always bragged about being a Man of His Word and the only problem with doing this, is when you have to lie - and you get caught.

I spent some time talking to some of the Peavey dealers in Mississippi and elsewhere nearby, especially in the 2006-2009 period and the way they went from acceptance to scorn of this guy was remarkable.

I say it is OK to be accepting of your old Peavey pieces, but also to never sell them and work hard to convince everyone you know to never ever buy (or sell) any of it. Hartley Peavey and his worthless stepson, none of these people deserve a single dime. But IMO you don't need to stop using the old pieces. I like the idea of using the stuff and then when people ask about it, I tell them exactly what I think about the people in 2018.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    JayFreddy likes this.
  3. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Yoakum, Texas
    I like Gremlins... Pacers not so much... Now find me a Mark Donahue Javelin or a Rebel Machine and now we're talking!

Peavey - had to mentioned them just to keep the thread on track... Speaking of the track, that Trans-AM Mark Donahue Javelin was something else!

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I'd rather see variables instead of hard coded values. If I rewrite it to substitute pGorilla = 'Yugo' I'm likely to mess up the logic, 'cause I'm a bungler.

Edit: Well, that's what I get for not reading through the entire thread. Someone already made the Yugo connection.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Me too. How come it's not self-documented? Where are the remarks?

6. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    You would think so, right? But I think the problem is, that over the years the specs have changed from durable, rugged, nearly-indestructible amps and PAs (and probably guitars, too, but I've never owned one) to some of their products being flimsy stuff not worth taking home.

I had an old Peavey PA from maybe the late 70s/early 80s and that thing sounded great until the day it croaked. I nearly cried when I realized I couldn't get anyone to work on her. Yes, I just called my dead PA a "her," because I was so attached to how good that thing sounded, and loved the ugly wood paneled glory of it.

drlucky and ce24 like this.
  7. ole6string

ole6string Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2007
    Williamsport, PA
    I love Peavey amps and have played them for years. Great sounding , affordable gear. I have owned tons of amps by many manufacturers. Every guitar and bass amp I currently own is Peavey. Some US made, some China. I love the Vypyr Pro. That coupled with the Pro footswitch is an amazing gigging machine. I play in several bands. Jazz trio, classic rock, 9 piece horn dance band and the Vypyr delivers every time. Love it!

8. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2013
    Hartville OH
    Hartley Peavey started off fixing amps in his Dad's music store. He had quite a run but left a lot of broken pieces around.

An American original flawed, as are we all.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    The red Strat in my TDPRI pic is really a Peavey Predator! ( my first 'Strat')
    Miss my old Bandit 65!
    20180823_192135.jpg

studio1087 and drf64 like this.
  10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I'm reminded of the story behind the UK Reggae band UB40.
    [​IMG]
    Their (former) lead singer Ali Campbell was involved in a bar brawl and somebody damaged his hand by throwing a bottle at him.

Campbell took the insurance money to buy his friends instruments and they started a band. They quickly realized that if you have your own back line you don't have to worry about getting a good sound at gigs. This music video shows their back line to good effect.

It was all Peavey because it was affordable and pretty much unbreakable.

I'm pretty sure that plenty of bands who came along in the early eighties found out to their delight that a proper amp didn't have to cost as much, a Peavey was good value for money.

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    yoko2.jpg This was the cover for what should have been my solo album.

Here's the guitar I'm holding in that picture.
    Yoko.jpg I really do love her

stevemc, Wildcard_35 and JayFreddy like this.
  12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    it's like a stenographer's rendering of Post Toasties

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
    Peavey Artist VT.JPG I've posted the pic before, but here it is - my '79 VT Artist. Built like a tank and weighs the same.

Wildcard_35 and JayFreddy like this.
  14. danzigdan

danzigdan TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2010
    WNY
    That's a shame. Some of the "Leaksville" guitars like the Firenza have a following now.
    The problem is many of their items now have a following after they are long gone. Appreciated too late.

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    I don't think the outsourcing to China bothers me as much as the lack of new development.

There aren't too many amp manufacturers still building amps in their country of origin. I understand being able to sale an affordable product is a priority.

I guess my interpretation of affordable products and Peavey's is different. When you tell me you are going to outsource to keep prices as low as possible that doesn't mean raising the price $200 is acceptable. Why are amps about one of few electronic pieces that go up in price instead of down especially when you haven't changed the design in 25 years of production. If the Classic 30 followed typical electronic trends it would be about a $250 amp as opposed to $700. You haven't changed it and the market is flooded with used one's. How does the price creep up when you've cut every price point you could possibly cut?

I understand outsourcing but when you charge more for the finished product than what you charged when it was made right here is when I have a problem and lose respect for the manufacturer.

Add that to the fact what they're still selling are designs from the early 1990s is pretty telling of their creativity.

hemingway and JayFreddy like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    The Peavey concept model was destined to go overseas from the beginning. Amazing how long they held out. Perhaps a bit sad, but it was inevitable in a global economy.

17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    What a great name for a band! The Banned!

18. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    And an architectural diagram!

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Hey, I still haven't seen you poast any clips in the last thread that i made after you were poking fun at mine. Hopefully you put them up soon. I am looking forward to learning what i can from you - 44,000+ poasts you must have a lot of experience! get some up!

20. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    If the 6505 series = failure, I wish I could fail like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.