Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Been off the grid a while. What happened to Peavey?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Les H, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    I didn't realize they outsourced their products to China. I knew some years ago the transtube line moved to China but the tube amps were made in the States still.

Looking at their website it doesn't look like anything exciting to offer anymore. Anybody using any of their new products? I have a couple older amps and a classic 30 head. It seemed like a classic 30 was always I highly recommended amp but now hardly a mention of them. Have they run their course?

2. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I've written them off.

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    They sold their soul.

So much good will squandered.

It's heart breaking.

emisilly, horax, Wildcard_35 and 3 others like this.

4. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Recently resuscitated U.S. guitar "manufacturing" program consists of literally a single model, a renamed reincarnation of the long-discontinued Wolfgang, built by a skilled (but way too small) team that is months and months behind in getting the instruments out to dealers and consumers.

All of the company's domestic factory tooling was sold off at auction a few years back.

5. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    If fEender = 'BMW' Then
    pEavey = 'Ford';
    End;

and cos that's real computer code, it must be true and you can't argue with it....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Obsessed likes this.

6. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana

7. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Not sure how I feel about this... Specs are the same world wide.... If a foreign factory makes a product to the same specs who cares.... We live in a world economy... If the warranty is the same and they honor it I'm good.

stevemc, jjudas, Kreepy and 6 others like this.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I need a flow chart!

Obsessed and beagle like this.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Make Bandits great again?

[​IMG]

10. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Why ? I don’t think any of them have broken yet :)

speedingjet, Kreepy, RedRock and 4 others like this.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    UH.....not sure I would have ever used the term "great" for a Bandit......."OK", maybe.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

12. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2016
    Canton, MI
    Goodwill squandered because the quality of the product has gone downhill, or simply because they've moved manufacturing overseas?

13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    I'm pretty sure it really pained Hartley to move manufacturing offshore. He was really proud to be an American company, but the reality is that people talk a good game, but when it comes down to spending their money, they go for the cheapest thing out there. Most folks wouldn't spend 2, 3, 4, or more times what they can pay for a Chinese cell phone, TV, or powered mixing board, just to get the same thing made in the USA, nor would they work for the same wages that people will work for in China, Indonesia, or Mexico.

stevemc, RedRock, emisilly and 8 others like this.

14. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Peavey's thing was never that they sounded great, it was that they made cheap and reliable equipment. I knew tons of kids that had Peavey maps when we were starting out and almost every banned that I was in prior to college had some form of Peavey gear in the PA.

Back then there was always a store that sold Peavey and the company resisted moving to the large and online retailers for a long time. I always thought that was kind of cool that they were loyal to their longtime dealers.

Eventually companies like Behringer, Mackie and (the newer) Alesis started to eat their lunch by third world manufacturing.

I recently saw an episode of Undercover Boss where they went to Peavey and it was pretty much a shell of what it had been. At the end of the show they fired a bunch of people they had promised wouldn't be outsourced.

I think they do (did) a ton of money with large houses of worship and always made PA gear. These days there is a lot less of a demand for PA gear compared to what there used to be (look at Carvin).

drlucky and Jakedog like this.

15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    This pretty much says it all.

I watched the Undercover Boss and felt really bad for the people that were used on that show. They talked their employees up and how loyal they were and then a few weeks later they closed their plant and did not follow through on the promises made on the show.

It is just a name now, being parted out by people in the far east slapping a sticker on it and selling it on a reputation that is not what it once was.

JDB2, horax, drlucky and 1 other person like this.

16. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I worked at a music for a short while in the 80's - I was amazed at the large number of people from third world countries who came in specifically to buy Peavey PA systems - by name.

They knew it was affordable and reliable. They shipped the boxes directly to their land of origin.

I had 1 peavey thing I really liked - a Series 400 Bass head from the 70's to the 80's.

17. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I haven't owned any newer Peavey amps but a lot of folks still buy them and they still seem to be dependable. Most Fender amps are not MIA either.

RedRock and emisilly like this.

18. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    There are many old-name American brands, that have been sold to Asian companies which I see advertising on TV all the time. Zenith TV is one of them...owned by LG, but still manufacturing in Illinois.

19. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Certainly ain’t like the old days but I think they are still capable of producing good stuff.

dan1952 likes this.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    This. How many people right here on this forum totally scoff at paying the going rate for American made guitars and instead buy offshore models claiming they’re “just as good” or at least competitive?

Where was your toaster made? Fridge? Blender? Camera? Cell phone? TV? Computer? Cargo shorts?

And if you could get those things made in the US, would you pay the premium it would cost? No, you wouldn’t. Because if you would, they’d still be made here.

Spare me the righteous indignation over Peavey doing what they had to do to stay alive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.