Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Been loosing my mind with my 2017 Deluxe 5e3 HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lawrence McCoy, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Always try swapping tubes first - and yes, I've seen Chinese and Russian rectos go suddenly bad after a short time. I had a 30 yo secondhand RCA 5U4 die on me - after five years of hard use, and it was secondhand to start with! Definitely worth using NOS in that position.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I install either NOS or fully tested US, British or Dutch "pulls" RCA, GE, Mullard (ORIGINALS!), Amperex etc in 5E3 (and just about every other amp) driver slots. I've never liked the reliability or balance of any newer tubes here.

You don't need to remove, switch out or do a thing to use a 12AX7 here. Or a 5751 or 12AU7. 12AT7's draw quite a bit more current and often sound a bit "hard" - I don't like using them in preamp positions. But the other 12A*7 tubes are fine - what you'll hear are changes in gain (the 5751 a bit less than the 12AX7; the 12AU7 a bit lower than a 12AY7)..

Makes no difference. The position, glass and several other variables can affect filament "apparent" brightness.

Glad you know what not to touch. Many inexperienced folks don't know that touching a wire connected to a power tube can zap 'em and use fingers or metal tools to "see if anything is loose". You said you didn't know much - I posted the caution just to be safe -

3. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    When it comes to tubes I have no problem with new production tubes anywhere EXCEPT the rectifier. A NOS 5Y3 is like $30, and a used one can be like $8. With a rectifier tube, if it works, it works. And they may last the lifetime of the amp. I've never had a rectifier tube fail out of dozens of used 5V4, 5Y3, 5U4 that I've used.

4. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2009
    washington

5. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Sep 15, 2016
    Guitarsphere
    Maybe i got too used to its volume... Best 12 watts in the world though ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.