Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

"Bedroom player"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jjkrause84, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

I know this is just my thin skin and insecurity, but is anyone else made uncomfortable when people use the term 'bedroom player'? Sometimes if I'm hanging out with my pro-player friends someone will say something like that and sni-gger*....I always seem to take it sort of personal, even though they aren't referring to me at all.

*My original post was partially censored because of this totally innocent word. A sad world we live in.

2. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

If it bothers you, don't react to them and immediately change the subject. Eventually they'll realize that those phrases get no reaction and drop them.

3. jjkrause84

That's typically what I do...I don't think they even know it phases me.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

I'm probably leaving myself open to even worse ignominy by occasionally playing my acoustic guitars in the bathroom, but the tile-induced natural reverb is too glorious to forego...

Honestly - life's too short to care about how others might label one's setting and approach to playing an instrument.

6. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I was told when I was about 30, I was too old for electric guitar and should switch to acoustic. I believed them to for about 10 years. Now approaching 60 I've thrown caution to the wind and play both. I shouldn't take what people say too seriously.

7. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

What the hell does "too old for electric guitar" even mean? Musicial instruments have no age limit.

8. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

(Substitute the more American and Canadian word 'snicker', and you'll be universally understood, and not subject to censorship by a piece of over-sensitive technological wizardry.)

"Bedroom Player" here. I've lost touch with any pro-player friends I once had, so the only people deriding where I choose to play are members of my immediate family. :oops:

9. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Meister

As a 'Bedroom Player' I take special pride in the knowledge that my bedroom has a lot nicer ambience than most of the places any of the 'pros' I know play most nights. Maybe it's just sour grapes that are being expressed by the acquaintances of the OP.

10. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

I have no idea what this means..I play geetar in my bed if that is what this is about..who cares..but if it means something else please tell me I am a little slow in the head..

11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

It typically refers to guys who never take their gear out of the house to play gigs. Add to that the perception (sometimes definitely true...) that "bedroom players" have a ton of nice, expensive gear and can barely play.

12. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

We are all bedroom players to a certain extent. It's how you get to the point where you become proficent and comfortable enough to play with others or even start your own band. I wouldnen't let it bother you .

13. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Everyone plays in their bedroom.

14. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

I've heard it used to distinguish between people who play only at home, to themselves, and those who "play out" i.e. in bands in front of other people. I guess some use it disparagingly.

What I do know is that if I started to play guitar in the bedroom, Mrs MLC would send me out to sleep on the living room sofa in no time.

15. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Holic

There's no reason for any player to mock another cos we all screw up now and then and we all had to start somewhere. And there are always lots of players much better than you.
    Although I do have to smile at jam nights sometimes when the guy who is Jimmy Page when playing to his wardrobe mirror produces yet another train wreck. But no derision.

16. jjkrause84

The implication is that "playing out" is the only real thing. I sort of agree, and it's something I've always wanted to do...just never been in the right place at the right time.

17. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

I am a bedroom player. I take lessons from a pro who lays out local. I play with a few of my friends at work. I play for the mental exercise of playing rather than the I wanna be a star thing. For me it's been a fun experience to play with other people because I learn so much.

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Damn! You do that too? Spanish bathrooms (in my limited experience) have excellent acoustics, all that hard tile and the high ceilings.

Not me. I do read there, but no guitar.

19. william tele

william tele Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you misunderstood and they were actually complimenting you as a "player" in the bedroom?

20. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

I have a couple of Carvin PA speakers in the last bedroom I was using... :D

21. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I've done it all from playing in too many bands at one time to handle to playing only at home. There's no shame in any of it.

I think a lot of the negativity comes from interaction at shows I think. I can't even count how many times I've played a good show and want to just come off of it and enjoy it but I end up spending the night talking to someone who just wants to talk about gear that's never played out. It doesn't bother me, because I'm a gearhead too. What gives bedroom players a bad name is the guys who want to argue about the silly stuff or talk about what's better than what and why that just don't have any real world experience to base it on.

If they weren't guitar players though they would the guys who argue about what bands are better or just plain suck that have never tried to write a song or get out there and do it.

I think it's more the attitude than the ability. Some guys feel like they have to prove their worth, even though there's not really a difference.

Not to mention there's some guys that should STAY in the bedroom. LOL. Sorry.

At the same time. You'll have the guys that are in mediocre bands that get to play out. They're going to be down on the guy who only plays at home to make them feel like they're accomplishing something.

The truth is, it's not about WHERE you do it or who with, it's about whether or not you enjoy it. Think about all of the guys who have quit successful touring bands to live a simpler life. I doubt they're down ion the bedroom player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.