Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bedroom player advice

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by rxtech, Jul 26, 2017.

1. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    I'd like to run this by you all. Here's the situation. I have $200 and a really nice guitar which I recently bought back from the guy I sold it to. Anyways, I only have a few things to play it through, an old Pod 2.0, Garage Band on my phone, or a cheap Meteoro solid state amp. I also have a cheap Behringer headphone amp for in ear monitoring that I used to use at church. Most of my playing will be with headphones so I've thought of a few ideas. A Boss ME80 (looks simple and straightforward) one of the Hotone nano amps (which actually have an effects loop), the new Boss Katana mini, or something else maybe. What I don't want is something that I have to hook up to a computer to change settings (really, please, I want old school, even Garage Band is somewhat frustrating). So basically does anyone have a good suggestion for $200 or any experience with any of those products. Older products are fine too as long as it is dependable and sounds good and is within that budget. I'm no pro or corksniffer. Again, I will probably be doing a lot of headphone playing. Thanks

2. RL52

RL52 TDPRI Member

Jul 9, 2013
    NY
    Love my Jam by Apogee

3. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Line 6 Hd 300. Has tons of models and effects and u can find one used for 150 or a Fender Mustang amp. Those will give you effects and amp models and have headphone jacks. Get some decent over ear headphones for proper bass response.

4. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    used pv bandit; a hunnert bucks...
    all you need and then some

jaybones likes this.

5. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I was able to get a THR 10 for a little over $200, by being patient and finding an ''open box'' special. Ultimate bedroom amp value, in my (and a lot of other people's) opinion.

I'm technophobic as well; I just use the knobs (simple).

Cliffyg62, hrstrat57, blowery and 3 others like this.

6. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    My first THR10 was a used $175 buy.....that is still the most used item in my bedroom despite all the fun toys at my disposal. You can't go wrong with the 10 or 10c in my view.

blowery likes this.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    If you really want headphones as the primary use, I suspect the ME-80 is more powerful, but this might be more intuitive http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201705162068.html

It's also got analog drives (which some prefer and some don't) so it might work better as a pedalboard down the line if you get the bug and buy a tube amp.

Edit, I have one, new incoming for slightly over $200, but not much.

Happy hunting.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017

8. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'm a stay-at-home player these days, and feel much the same as you except I play an ordinary amp at acoustic guitar volumes.

I don't know much about small amps that take headphones, but I have been taking a mild interst in them. Ones I would be looking at are the Yamaha THR series, and the smaller Boss Cubes or Katana, maybe the Vox Lil Night Train.

Big-Tele likes this.

9. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    The Hotone amps sound really rather good through a cabinet. Somewhat less than spectacular through headphones though. You can EQ it to sound sort of alright, but then the guitar loses its sparkle.
    Again, through a speaker cab, great amp. The headphone capability?, meh.
    I was quite taken by the Blackstar ID:Core when I tried that. Within your budget and not dependant on a computer, although they can be hooked up to one. The stereo effect is fantastic.
    How about the Boss ME-25?. Second-hand now, but they feature a headphone out. They also have a USB interface. Hook it up to your computer, noodle away, hit record when you come up with something you want to keep. Those USB interfaces are damn useful.
    Again with the THR. They garner a lot of love.

Loco likes this.

10. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    I even thought about running my Pod through the effects loop of the hotone amp for delay, etc. and just keeping it on the tube preamp setting instead of an amp setting. I suppose I could get used to hooking up to a computer, but I like simple plug in and play. Good suggestion about the Boss ME25, but do the amp simulations sound overly sterile? I like the easy to navigate front panel. And, as some have mentioned the Yamaha THR amp looks nice, but I only have $200 max at this time. Is the THR 5 lacking that much from the THR 10? Those go for $200, I think.

11. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I bought a Behringer interface for around $100-150 and it came with Cubase. I haven't used the software yet because I had a Focusrite with Ableton and I'm not ready to start a new learning curve. The Focusrite USB port broke within 9 months so I can't recommend it really. I've had the Behringer for a few months and I like it, so far. I am looking forward to trying Cubase - I'm not in love with Ableton but it serves my purposes alright.

12. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    Hmmm, and actually I see an Boss ME70 in my area that they are asking $150 for...

13. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The Pod 2.0 you already have seems to meet your needs. Why is that not working for you?

CK Dexter Haven likes this.

14. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    To answer your question about the THR 5; it doesn't let you save settings/patches, and it doesn't have a volume control for the USB/Aux input. Those two features, and a slightly bigger box, are about the only difference. I think the 5 only has two EQ knobs too, 10 has three. From all reports the 5 sounds just as good as the 10.

15. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    You know, you're right. It's just a case of wanting something new or something that sounds a little better. Do you happen to know or does anyone else know if the pod 2.0 takes petals very well ?

asnarski likes this.

16. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I don't have experience with the pod 2.0, but I've used a pod xt and it takes pedals fine. It's obviously not like a tube amp, but you can boost/overdrive it just fine with pedals. In fact, the digital OD/dist/fuzz in the pod aren't that good so it's better to use other pedals.

If you just want something new, the zoom g3n is pretty easy to use without a computer.

Here is a little food for thought about the pod2.0.

17. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    Yeah, you know I saw that! It was interesting.

18. draggindakota

draggindakota TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    Another mostly bedroom player here. I have 2 amps I play through: a Marshal MG10cd or a Line6 Spyder II modeling amp. I like both but find myswlf playing through the Marshal more often than not. It's small and gets pleny loud, and I cam jack my phone into it to play along with songs on there. You can get the Marshal online for less than $100 and if you need effects you can snag a modeling pedal pretty cheap. I have a Digitech RP255 that I got in trade with the amp that I like pretty well.

I like the Line6 also, but really haven't fooled around with the modeling too mich beyone the preaets. It does do well for playing out amd about, I used to use it to olay with my church band back in the day. These are online for $100 or less around my parts as well.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    chiefline likes this.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The Line 6 Spyder amps are challenging to get clean and the distortion has some circuitry to cut noise so trying to sustain a note never trails off nice and easy instead it gets to a certain level and drops like a dead cat. If you have the POD or some pedals then ignore the amp's onboard effects.

Older Crate amps can be surprisingly good and super cheap used. I have G-10 and GX-65 that is way too loud. The G-10s are often $15-$30.

Bandit as mentioned above, but similar aged used Peavey amps can be great. The Bandit is really way too loud unless you're gigging. I've seen some 'Rage 158' amps for $20 or so and they can work well for smaller venues.

The key with most amps is to play them clean. The distortion is often lacking and you find you run pedals through them. While all the amp cost/price went into everything but the clean.

Hop on your local Craigslist and find an amp for under $40 and play that for a while clean taking whatever POD/pedal you feed it.

20. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I see you have acknowledged a bit of GAS, but really I would simply work with the POD, you can plug it into the little amp you have (set the amp flat..probaly all EQ at noon) and simply use it as a small pa; keep the gain to a minimal level and set the volume to taste to avoid getting bees in a jam jar distortion. You could also invest the proper foot controller,(either the Express MK I or II) this would give you the ability to dial in some pre sets and choose between say a clean sound, a OD sound, a clean sound with trem and something else you can also access the tuner and wah functions, thus eliminating the need for pedals. $30-40 should nab you one from the usual second hand sources.

You could also get a iRig adapter for your iPhone and down load the free Fender sim from Amplitude. Gives you a Deluxe Reverb and a couple of pedals, the adapter is 15 dollars or so, works best w/ headphones. Save the remaining 150 and perhaps put a bit more in as you can, play some different amps and when you have a better idea of what you want, you will be good to go..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.