Bedroom Amps: A Poll

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NJ Deadhead, Mar 12, 2019.

Low wattage "Bedroom" amps. Where do you primarily play them?

1. The bedroom. Duh.

17.7%
  2. Studio

12.4%
  3. Office

17.7%
  4. Living Room/Den

52.2%
  1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've gigged my AC10 (and we didn't mic up) in three fairly small bars. I was having a hard time maintaining a clean sound but It did ok. What a great little amp. The crunch is so nice.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Now that s some proper advice !

Toto'sDad and thegeezer like this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I always thought that 1 watt tube amps were kind of silly until I bought this (used). Blackstar HT-1R. It's often too loud!

[​IMG]

All tube. It has reverb, EQ, foot-switchable gain and the ISF (It can sound Fender-ish or Marshall-ish). It is plenty loud enough to upset family members who are way upstairs (late at night). $249 (full price new). I paid $119 used. 1 watt into a 2x12.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My "studio" is an unused bedroom where I practice. I use a Peavey Backstage Plus, 30 watt solid state amp with a 10" speaker. I sometimes add a '52 Silvertone "Champ" amp. 8" speaker and a single volume knob. I use it when I run stereo effects pedals. They sound real good together!

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I use a MicroCube for bedroom practice. roland-micro-cube.jpg

flathd, studio1087 and beagle like this.
  6. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I frequently play my electric guitar in the same room I sleep in. 98% of the time I do not plug it into an amp. It is a bedroom guitar.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you are playing your tele in the bedroom shouldn't you be using?

[​IMG]

8. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

I will respectfully disagree. I have a Vox AC10C1 which I am currently using as my main bedroom amp. It has separate gain and master volume controls, so I can dime out the gain to get the tubes humming but keep the volume down so it doesn't blow out the windows.

Agreed. I take my AC10 to a monthly jam group of about 12 musicians total (drummer, bass, bunch of guitars, a sax, keyboards, a few singers). I can always hear my amp when we all play with volume to spare.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I have what is considered a bedroom amp. I use it in the basement. After trying all kinds of amps I find nothing is better than a Fender Champ for me.

10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

My main amp is a Mesa Mini Rec (25 / 10 watt). It lives in the "music room" which also doubles as a computer room and kids playroom.

The amp in my bedroom is a Blackstar Fly 3 (3 watt) which I can noodle on when the kids are asleep.

bftfender likes this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

The spare bedroom is my office where I work, but also my "guitar room". So office, but it's a bedroom that is my office. I'm so confused.

Mustang III allows good tones at manageable volumes. Yeah, louder is better, but good is often good enough.

12. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

No amps in my bedroom since I was a teenager. Notably, my teenage son has an amp in his bedroom. Must be something to that... :)

beagle likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

My spare bedroom has two Club 40 Blackstar amps

20181229_094253.jpg

studio1087 likes this.
  14. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that's similar to my working definition: "an amp played at volume levels that allows the wife to sleep in the bedroom."

Like others here, the room in the house now serving as my office/study/library/studio/man cave used to be a bedroom. But since our children are all grown with families of their own, there's not much chance of anyone moving back and taking over my man cave. My other hobby/interest/passion is books. (I like being able to say I am a bibliophile. I wish guitarophile was a real word; it sounds so much better than "guitar addict." :oops::twisted:) I have a couple of thousand volumes in my library (or that was the number at last count), on two floor-to-ceiling sets of bookshelves on either side of the room. As my guitar collection has expanded since we've had an empty nest, 10 of the 11 guitars I own are on hangers in the living room, but I always keep at least one in the office with my Vox Pathfinder 15R amps. Great "bedroom levels" amp.

tery likes this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

THR10 in my home office
    Victoria 5112 in the living room
    Practice room doesn't use a low watter...just a few 40W+ amps

16. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

Yeah I’m pretty much a straight up bedroom hero. My two combo amps sit right next to the bed and my guitars are all in the closet. Usually only play the vox during the week if I’m home and use headphones. On weekends I don’t use the headphones and crank both up and play through both with an A/B splitter switch. Wife and kids get to use their headphones on the weekends. I live out in the country so closest neighbors are too far away for it to be any problem. I’m not sure how the cows in the pastures around the house feel about it. They haven’t complained yet. :)

bftfender likes this.
  17. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

My gear hasn't been allowed in the house proper for 20 years. Banned to the shop out back I'm afraid. IMG_0159 (1).JPG

beagle, Jimmy Dean and bftfender like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Here is my home amp (living room) a little Zinky-designed Smokey Amp
    ( had it since late '90's when these first came out)

I live in an apartment now, so I really only play acoustic at home ( daily!)

My Dano and Smokey: 20171024_100812.jpg

bftfender likes this.
  19. Zman28

Zman28 TDPRI Member

In my Music Room / spare bedroom I have had everything from a Blues Junior to 100 watt marshal and 2 12 cab. Throw in a Deluxe reverb and Blues Deluxe reissue. But my fav really true bedroom amp is the Vibro Champ XD. I picked one up a few years back to use as a travel amp. The sound is so amazing I only use it now Having a true tube front end and an electronic modelling back end makes this a truly amazing little amp. I also have the Super Champ Xd but I like the little brother better. Check out the You tube videos on them. They really are amazing

flathd likes this.
  20. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

New definition of a bedroom amp. Place a vintage 5e3 with quintessential 5e3 sound in the bedroom. Run the cord underneath the door and close it. Make sure the amp is on 10. Now have a blast. Think of it as a God sized sound chamber.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.