Bedroom Amps: A Poll

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NJ Deadhead, Mar 12, 2019.

Low wattage "Bedroom" amps. Where do you primarily play them?

1. The bedroom. Duh.

17.7%
  2. Studio

12.4%
  3. Office

17.7%
  4. Living Room/Den

52.2%
  1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I always figured "bedroom amp" was a bit hyperbole, like "urban assault vehicle" , but it gets the point across. I actually have had amps in my bedroom when I lived in small apartments and condos. I don't anymore, and don't need to play at "bedroom" volumes. But I still might call a small amp a bedroom amp, even if you have to crank it a bit to get the toanz. It's a figure of speech. No big whoop.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My office/music area is too open to be considered a man cave. That's where I play what little I do anymore. I don't know if I've fired up my DRRI this year, mostly just grab an acoustic that is sitting out. It's awkward for me to play much at all anymore. Out of respect for my wife's ears, I don't play much when she's home, since the poor soul has been listening to me coming up on fifty three years, and should get a civic service medal for the effort. She doesn't mind, but I kind of feel about my own music like I do about the guy playing stairway at the GC. I've been thinking about learning to play vulgar rap music on my guitar, as a trendy change up. I think it requires some effort to get the "voicing" just right.

darkwaters and Paul in Colorado like this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

VULGER RAP MUSIC!:cry::eek:

t guitar floyd likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe should've had a "All Of The Above" choice. My Office/Studio is an extra bedroom so.......

5. Toto'sDad

I'm really having a problem figuring out the fingering for M......F....., some of the easier words I got right away, but hey, I know it takes a while to get up to speed on anything new. I think this would be a lot easier if I were proficient at playing slide, but hey one learning curve at time.

Whatizitman likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Is that anything like Klingon Opera?

Toto'sDad and notmyusualuserid like this.
  7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tommy Chong's "Bedroom Amp" .

MadJack and rcole_sooner like this.
  8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play in a man-cave that was conceived and sized as a kid's bedroom (in a condo we own), but I converted it to an office / man-cave and now it's also a mini-studio, now that I have a little recorder. So it's kind of all of the above. That's 9 months of the year. The other three it's basically the same thing, but in a different place, but a bedroom that's mostly an unused guest room that I use as a man-cave, guitar area. I have two amps, a Blues Cube Hot, which has a .5 watt setting and I use in my permanent (9 months) home and a Blackstar HT1R, which is a 1 watt amp, but much smaller than the Blues Cube, which I use in our 3 month winter rental place. Both of them can get too loud, but the Blackstar can only get loud with the OD channel on. The Blues Cube can get way too loud for my uses at .5 watt, clean or dirty.

So I basically do play in bedrooms, just not bedrooms I sleep in anymore. One of them even has beds in it. But they're both small rooms in tight condos with lots of nearby neighbors, so good sound at low volumes is way important to me... My Blues Cube can get as loud as I'd ever want should I ever play out again, but 99% of the time is in the man-cave at low volume...

-Ray

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

If that were the point, you wouldn't be playing in your bedroom...

10. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

1. Have a 5W tube amp with 8" speaker for living room, next to my SCX2 with 12" cab.
    2. Pro Jr IV in bedroom, next to MV50 AC with Ragin' Cajun.
    3. Spare bedroom - Micro Terror with 6" spk in DIY cab or Marshall Studio 15W on 1W option...
    Alternating all these options really makes life interesting.

tery likes this.
  11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

5-25-50W option. I play it in all of the above or anywhere I need to.

[​IMG]

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Extra bedroom converted to music room / mini-me man cave.

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

all the pressure from the internet has forced me down from 100 to 50 watt plexi in the bedroom..and to calm the sound by going into 8 speakers ped1 (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  14. Toto'sDad

Do you know of another kind?

beagle likes this.
  15. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a "music room", that's primarily where I play with my gear.

16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I ve got a small cheap amp, but i never play plugg in. My friend plugs his bass in it, but playing on a amp without a bit of volume is not my thing. And i m too lazy to plug the guitar in.

The good thing is that if you re able to play it unplugged and clean, it will sounds good when you re plugged in. The downside is you can t do volume swells and so on. Whenever i try to learn lap steel, got one 5 years ago, i ll try to plug in. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but I ll not die before i can play some lap steel.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

The last amp I played in my bedroom was my trusty Solid State Fender Squier.
    Now we live in a house where I have a dedicated Studio/band practice/Guitar room.
    Gave the amp to my son.
    He uses it in his studio.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bedroom amp is from teenage players.

I feel like I've read many interviews with famous guitarists where they talk about playing in their bedroom as teenagers learning to play.

Maybe it's mythical but that's where I think it comes from. If you're living in Mom and Dad's house it may be your only space to play.

For adults, we can find someplace better. If you have an apartment and live alone you'd be more likely to play in the living room? And if you own a house the bedroom seems like the last room you'd play in unless it's an "extra/spare/guest bedroom/home office".

tery likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

You better get going, death is chasing after you at the same rate of speed as you are putting off learning to play the pedal steel!

20. Toto'sDad

I actually have a very good place to play, and did when circumstance related to playing music were better. Always kept a lead guitar, an acoustic electric and a bass available. Then things changed, and it's just not the same. I did draw the line at keeping a drum kit around, graciousness only extends so far you know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.