Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Beautifully Weird Cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Sep 7, 2018.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

And yet the R5, which was essentially just a dressed up R4, was a reliability nightmare.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    This is true. Assembly line problems I guess. Because the R4 is probably one of the most reliable ever.

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Sure enough! They had seat and side bolsters WAY before other cars. Also a soft / greasy vinyl that lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

4. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I know a guy who is restoring one

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting. I never saw any of that.

I wonder if my experience was just enough further south than yours. Although, London, not many places in Canada warmer than that - you guys often had better weather than Buffalo or Rochester. But I was thinking about running parking garages in the French Quarter, got behind the wheel of maybe 30 of them and never experienced a bad Citroen DS.

By comparison, the "hydrolastic" suspension in the larger siblings to the Mini (MG Sports Sedan, Austin America, etc.) was either working or the car was parked. I was super lucky with mine. But once mine seemed to be the last Austin sedan rolling in New Orleans, I lost my nerve and accepted someone's offer to buy it.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Funny to think of this little Daimler are "more conventional" but I guess it is:

upload_2018-9-17_16-12-4.jpeg

But this is the one that me and my friends could never stop talking about:

[​IMG]

Too beautiful to be weird.

brookdalebill likes this.

7. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    That's the car I learned to drive on, got my license with @ 16 years old. My parents' VW Bus was likely a bit older, a 1964, and a camper model. Something like this (below) altho I don't remember the pop-top. That thing broke down all over the eastern half of the United States; as I recall VW hadn't fully developed their parts distribution system to match their U.S. sales efforts, so we'd sit for 2 or 3 days in, e.g., Owensboro, Kentucky waiting for a fly wheel. I still think they're cool and have good memories of driving, altho that could just be nostalgia turning my brains into overcooked, unsalted oatmeal....

[​IMG]

RoyBGood and Preacher like this.

8. David Barnett

Apart from looking like a mud skipper, I suppose the oddest thing about it was the 2500cc V8.

9. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver

The Gordini... The name makes it sound like a race car doesn’t it. A friend of mine had one when I was in high school. I got a few rides in it and it seemed pretty quick & nimble. My girlfriend had a Fuego which was not quick or nimble at all.

Here’s a photo of my brother in law’s 72 Giulia Special:

60C738E3-37D9-4690-A0CA-021CACD0C270.jpeg

RoyBGood and mgreene like this.

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    IIRC, Gordini was a French racing champ. That car actually had a 4 cylinder hemi and a 5 speed when they were rare. IT was set up for heel and toe and was plenty of fun to drive.

Everyone was impressed that it had 160mph on the clock. It could probably do 120.

awasson likes this.

11. David Barnett

The R6 was also a dressed up 4, were they any better than the 5 for reliability? They never sold the R6 in the USA.

12. David Barnett

"Gordini" was the name for Renault factory tuner cars. Sort of like Fiat Abarth, BMW Alpina, or Mercedes AMG. :) Several unassuming little Renaults were available in a Gordini version, such as this R8 Gordini:

[​IMG]

mgreene likes this.

13. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2012
    We had one in the mid 50s that had semaphore turn signals (trafficators). Anyone remember those?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 11:18 PM
    brookdalebill and Random1643 like this.

14. Dickey01

Dickey01 TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Florida
    I believe it was the centerfold for the "For Ladies Only" album by Steppenwolf.

15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I think R6 was dubbed the "lame duck" (vilain petit canard) - if not mistaken

16. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Aldo Gordini was French F1 driver in the 50's. His father was a sports car manufacturer whose company later became a division of Renault.

I always thought the car was named for the driver... wikipedia is like having a second brane :p

17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Had a student neighbour with a Trabant like this..

IMG_5588.JPG

I was regularly doing jobs on it. Very simple design.

Ford Anglia was interesting too. Family had one when I was a kid. Very Sci-Fi back leaning rear window

IMG_5589.JPG

brookdalebill likes this.

19. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Was that the car used in the Harry Potter movie?

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.