Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Beautifully Weird Cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Sep 7, 2018.

1. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Bugatti made some weird but beautiful cars in the 1930s....back when some vehicles were art forms.

Bugatti-Type-51-Dubos-Coupe (1).jpg 1935_Bugatti_Type57GrandRaid-0-1024.jpg 1936-Bugatti-Type-57SC-Atlantic-3.jpg

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Campagna T-Rex 16S and V13R

[​IMG]
    BMW Vixen. For I while, I thought I wanted one of these. Sleek camper !

[​IMG]

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Paternal grandparents got a year old wrecked/repaired LeSabre 4 dr hardtop, this very color.

It was not a good car. It was only their second car (he started driving at age 60). I did a lot of work on it, as a kid, and it was in the shop quite often as well. Then my grandparents got a new '66 Chrysler sedan, same basic color, never once missed the Buick.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I would rock one of these.

Ariel-Atom-4-131197.jpg

5. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I used to own one of these in 1972/3, a '65 in white. Body by Pressed Steel Fisher in England, instruments by Smiths, ditto. Sadly mine was not a good example as it turned out, but when it was running right it was highly delightful to drive. The little stubby gearchange lever was especially nice to use.

As regards the styling, I preferred the earlier P1800S, where the chrome strip followed the upward curve on the doors. I think the straight one on the P1800 was a cost-cutting measure.

awasson likes this.
  6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    The coolest thing about this car (other than the air suspension) was the retractable pedals. My car has it now and I set it ONCE and NEVER used it again :D

The Maserati Bora used some of the same systems as this car - ie the pedal mechanism.

7. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Not to brag but...

[​IMG]

but my elderly fat man's quiet comfortable performance sedan SMOKES all of the dream cars of my youth except the Shelby Cobra.

8. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Actually, he probably didn’t “like” to do that.

The Citroen DS was an amazing design, but way ahead of its time. One of the problems with ownership, was that most mechanics had no clue how to deal with the incredibly complex hydraulics that controlled the height adjustable, self-levelling suspension.

It wasn’t uncommon to see one driving down the road with one end or the other stuck up in the air, and the driver cursing...

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    Wow, memories...when I was 13 or 14 (early 80s), a guy took me for a spin around downtown Denver in a Citroen SM, and he DROPPED THE HAMMER. It was a wild ride. That thing had to be pretty heavy with all that hydropneumatic suspension apparatus, but that little Maserati-built V6 shoved it along just fine and sounded fantastic as it hit the top end in each gear. The Citroen one-spoke steering wheel design looks really weird.

Man, lookit that...I love the painted steel wheels and center hubcaps. All that jacked-up faux-drag-car wide-rear-tires hoo-hah people used to do to when I was a kid, to customize cars like that, was just wrong. To my eye, at least.

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I drive one of the least weird cars on the road today, at least in terms of numbers...a 2014 Dodge Caravan. Yeah, yeah, I've been called a soccer mom (I'm a guy). It has a Pentastar V6 with something like 287 hp, and it weighs something like 4,400 lb. empty, I think. It kind of blows my mind to think that something so mundane and everyman could pretty much smoke the lightly modified family hand-me-down cars, all of which had V8s, that my friends and I drove as kids...and which we thought were fast. And gets waaay better fuel economy while doing it. Not all aspects of vehicle computerization and technical progress are bad. I have never had a stuck choke on a hot start with that EFI, either...

...part of me wishes that I could get dual exhaust and short glasspacks installed on it, I admit. I will probably never outgrow that impulse. As it is, it sounds pretty polite.

awasson likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

So does your typical jet airliner.

I think being able to operate a vehicle on the very edge of its limits of performance, are what makes a conveyance fun. There is IMO such a thing as too much output, too much traction, too many Gs on acceleration. I much prefer super tight twisties, and a small 2 seater driven around the turns by hanging the tail end loose. A sense of vulnerability or danger is necessary, or one may as well be playing a video game.

TheGoodTexan, thegeezer and awasson like this.
  12. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
  13. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Want the Town Wagon at 9 min.

Wouldn't turn dow the PW Crew

Or the 1942 Carry All

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I understand - I used to love rowing through the gears, doing 4 wheel drifts in my brother's Alfa Giulia Sprint GT.

I am just commenting on progress - my mundane him-eye cee-dan is faster than practically all the original muscle cars I lusted after as a kid - and many of the 60's, 70's and 80's Ferraris and Lambos too.

I never imagined that I would have a practical car that could do such.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    "weird

adjective [ -er/-est only ]
    US /wɪərd/
    strange and different from anything natural or ordinary:"

OP, "Beautifully Weird Cars".

Spot on, in my opinion :twisted:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wait what? A Giulia Sprint GT! What year and which engine?

My brother in law has a 72 Giulia. It is a special edition of some sort. Has the GTV brakes, 2 litre with twin delortoes. It’s a super clean car, zero rust but has a less than perfect paint job so it’s getting some minor engine compartment work done to it, engines getting a quick run through and then we’ll put it back together. All new wiring and relocating the battery to the trunk. Nothings being left to chance.

17. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    This was a LONG time ago - as I remember it was a '64 w/ dual webers. The unusual thing this car had was factory headers - some body once told us it was some kind of homologation car for a long forgotten race series.

The first time my brother saw me do a 4 wheel slide, "steering" with the gas pedal (from the passenger seat) his eyes were as big as saucers and he sternly said "NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!"

Thinking about that era, yours truly also had one of these:

[​IMG]

Renault Gordini 17 - it were a... wait for it...

...HEMI :D

It had 13" wheels - I could go to the used tire place and get new looking used tires mounted and balanced for $15.

Lesson learned however: Never buy a French car unless you live in France.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Fearnot, Honest Charley and awasson like this.
  18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    A 1957-61 "Rochdale". Apparently, the bodies are glass fibre. I've seen a couple at car shows - they are tiny - but I can't decide whether the shape is weird or wonderful....

[​IMG]

suthol and awasson like this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah but the seats sure were comfortable.

20. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Africa's tough roads favorite car? Peugeot

In the 60s to mid 70s; Renault were some of the most reliable cars of the planet (Dauphine, R4; R12; R16 etc..)

Then came the AMC venture & the dark times :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.