Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Beautiful Italian Paperweight!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by xafinity, Oct 3, 2017.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

2. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

ha ...that guy must be a comedy writer... ....I can't help but wonder why whatever is wrong with it the dealer can't figure out ...it's a machine...with a computer..hook it up and find out ..16 k is a sweet deal for that car

mgreene likes this.

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    LOL - Those things do have an awesome exhaust note.

One passed me one day - BWWWAAAAAA!!!! - 2 minutes a cop was pulling ME over. "Hey - didnt you see that Maserati just wizz by!" - I says. "Nope" the copper says.

The thing sounded like a F1 car - still cant understand why he got me and let the Maser go.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That's funny. I liked this line:

"Come look at it! ... if the stars are aligned just right you can drive it. DO NOT DRIVE IT. If you drive it, you will want it. It is fast. It is beautiful. It makes a sound like angels revving their angel mobiles."

... going to the store to try out a few guitars.

5. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was waiting for a bus around 03/04 and from over the hill came possibly the most glorious sound I've ever heard, soon enough over she came, Maser 4200GT in full flight.. I'm not even much of a car guy but this made me weak at the knees..

Sorry to hear your run in with the cop..

mgreene likes this.

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    OMG! An Italian car that is unreliable? Whodathunkit? :lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere, Stisch and Piggy Stu like this.

7. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Cop knew that car. That was probably the one time his car was running well enough to go that fast. Soon it will break down and have to be towed and the owner will be in "car jail" for a while. Much worse than a ticket.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    That made my day! I literally laughed out loud several times.
    Thank you for posting that.

xafinity likes this.

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    ...then BUY it-- i DARE you!! lol

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    I had an Italian car. It rusted, then caught fire all on its own. It ran when it felt like it, not when I needed it.
    I had an Italian motorcycle. It was rewired. The stock wiring and Magneti Marelli parts were sub-Lucas. It lunched the bevel drive to the front cylinder cam. It lunched the crank. When it worked, it was GLORIOUS!
    I had another Italian motorbike. The regulator/rectifier caught fire. The shaft UJ fell apart. The selector forks were hardened Parmesan. The handlebar switchgear worked only after replacing it with Nippon stuff. Eventually, the Nikasil type coating on the bores went the way of the frame paint and it Guzzi'd oil like it guzzled fuel.

I came to the conclusion Italian vehicles are designed to be pretty, not used.

xafinity likes this.

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I feel as if I am three quarters of the way through a very entertaining book, only to find that the last chapters have been torn out. How do we find out what happened? how did it all end?

I'll rephrase that we know how it ends it is an Italian car, there is only one ending, but who if anyone bought it?

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    I mostly agree with you VintageSG, but I have a friend with a ('96, i think?) Ferrari 360 Modena. He bought it in 2011, and has put about 15k miles on it. Except for a failed window regulator motor, it has been dead reliable for him. Granted, he's not using it as a daily driver, but I've been surprised he hasn't had to do anything to it. Man that thing sounds nice, but since the exhaust cost about 6 grand, I guess it should ha ha

13. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    who knew Italian cars were so unreliable? It makes me appreciate my 16 y.o. Chevy Silverado and my Toyota Sienna with 200 k miles on it, both of which have never had a major repair ever.

14. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    If you have a live-in mechanic, Italian transport devices can be fun.

15. xafinity

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    I have a friend who was a Mercedes line tech for 12 years. Yearly company paid trips to Mercedes for specialized training etc etc
    He says some MB models were just as the Maserati was described. Like they were haunted. A little like a V12 Jaguar.

16. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Many years ago, I worked with a guy who (briefly) owned an old E-Type Jaguar.
    He said that people not familiar with the car would always ask what it was, and how fast did it go.
    People who knew about them would ask how many clutches it had eaten or how many times the
    electronics had been replaced.

17. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Many Brit sports cars had electronics by Lucas - which a Car and Driver writer once described as ''the company who created darkness''.
    My first car was a TR4A. It had an unsolvable electric drain which required that I keep it on a trickle charger every night.

xafinity and 4 Cat Slim like this.

18. xafinity

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Lucas aka 'The Prince of Darkness'
    In 1902, what had by then become Joseph Lucas Ltd, incorporated in 1898, started making automotive electrical components such as magnetos, alternators, windscreen wipers, horns, lighting, wiring and starter motors.[1] The company started its main growth in 1914 with a contract to supply Morris Motors Limited with electrical equipment.[1] During the First World War Lucas made shells and fuses, as well as electrical equipment for military vehicles. Up until the early 1970s, Lucas was the principal supplier to British manufacturers (such as BSA, Norton and Triumph) of magnetos, dynamos, alternators, switches and other electrical components.

Mechanic likes this.

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    This is why I bought a horse.

xafinity likes this.

20. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Wow, that was harsh. True, but harsh. :lol::lol::lol:

Do you know why the English drink their beer warm? Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.