bb007 champ tweed princeton pro jr

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by popthree, Mar 15, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

today i demo'd some small tube amps and was pleasantly surprised by the bb007

first was a very nice custom build tweed princeton this is the low wattage fella with 1 6v6. it had a 10" speaker, all handwired and in a nice tweed, lacquered pine cabinet. i loved the sound. really great tone. price of admission $800

next up was a late 60s "champ amp" drip edge fender champ all stock and in VGC. sounded like i remeber my old champ sounding. decent tone but the tweed prince has it beat. price of admission $600

then a new pro junior. kind of disappointed in this amp. sterile, not real tubey sounding, cold, with little tube feel. meh all the way around. $500

then the bb007 really surprised me. i mean really big time surprise. very close to the tweed prince in tone with very little knob turning effort. i loved it. great tone, great squishy tube feeling. really really nice, and $450. very much in the ballpark of the handwired tweed princeton for nearly half the price. the princeton clone is still tempting, but mainly because i know who built it and he's gone now so there won't be any more of his handiwork available. the common sense in me is saying find a used bb007 and the romantic fool side of me says the handwired prince. gotta sleep on this.

Richie-string and dan40 like this.
  2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

PJ has to break in.....

LuthRavin and Route67 like this.
  3. popthree

Same thing mom said when she talked me in to shoes that weren't comfy

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMO that's pretty high for an SF Champ.

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Well, that was a good review and has prompted me to get one... BTW, Sweetwater has them interest free financing @ 36 months, $13 per month... :)BTW, I have a spare G10 Gold laying around. :)

popthree likes this.
  6. popthree

I agree but nicer examples are creeping up in price. This is an earlier SF drip edge in VGC. I wouldnt buy it....someone will though.

7. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I have the Bassbreaker 007 1x10" combo and i rate it very highly indeed. Especially once it has had time to warm up a little. it's a very boutique sounding amplifier and sounds way more expensive than it's price. I like these a lot and i think if more people got around to trying them this little amp would take off big time.

Build quality is very good, decent transformers, celestion speaker fitted as standard, doesn't need any up grades at all.

8. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Yes, it’s a phenomenal amp. Trying out in store won’t indicate all that much when it comes to quality that proves itself over time, but might get beaten out by gimmicks and effects from the competition. But personal preference rules, so it’s not for everyone.

9. popthree

Huh? Gimmicks? 4 low frill tube amps side by side.

10. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

definately. More like 400-450

11. popthree

Again, i agree champs should not bring this kind of money but its happening.
    This ones not even a drip edge

Attached Files:

12. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

The only reason it's happening is people are paying it. Stop paying it.

13. popthree

I'm not paying it. Go tell them, not me.

14. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

I wasn't specifically telling you, I was telling them.

15. popthree

Not sure they can hear you

16. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

Unless you want all your stuff matching, theres no reason to cover the ol 68 drop edgness. My ab165 bassman had it. If I still had it, I'd want all that stuff with it, if I had the money to do that sort of thing. But I don't have that sort of money, which is why o sold the bassman in the first place.

Blame the people with the extra $$ to be vain. My fender 75 is brown. I want a PR that matches, then I'll be one of "those people "....

Bb007 is nice. I woulda picked up the 18/30 this year if it wasn't physically almost the size of the 75.

While every amp in the BB series does something different, I'm a bigger fan of those than the hot rod, blues, or pro lines. HRs et al sound "good" each bb I tried sounded Interesting. Except for the 15, because I haven't found one that wasn't broken yet.

(Sf champs depress me because I had borrowed one from my grandfather for awhile when I was just starting, and it got me into tube amps. I gave it back to him so he could keep an amp downstairs at his house, and my worthless cousin stole and pawned it, probably for less than $100...)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.