Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Battle scars

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by pwgsy, May 9, 2013.

1. pwgsy

pwgsy TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of sorting out the electronics on my '83 Tele and am looking at the body finish now. I've had this guitar for nearly 20 years now and it's been with me through grunge, ska punk and rock bands. It's taken a beating in other words... Bashes, beer, curry, puke, you name it.

Anyway, so in my teens it seemed like a good idea to poly fill the damaged bits and sand down the dents etc. now I'm thinking that its better to show the life the guitar had and wondered if I can reverse the botch fixes that have been done in the past? Pics to follow, any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. pwgsy

pwgsy TDPRI Member

And here is the jack area

Attached Files:

3. JBAudio

JBAudio TDPRI Member

you could grind them out slowly with a dremel. It'd be tedious, and you'd want to go real slow so as not to make them deeper/wider, but I'd think that would work.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 6guns

6guns TDPRI Member

I'd use a sharp chisel or xacto knife carving blade of some sort, working very slowly as JB said. At the same time, I kind of like the look now.

6. pwgsy

pwgsy TDPRI Member

I guess the one thing going for is that its truly 'road worn' rather than having the relic treatment ;) I'm just feeling that it might look nicer with the wood showing through rather than the patches of white.

The other point is whether or not there is a way to cut through all the grime and bring out the original blonde finish? Can it just be sanded with fine grade sand paper?

My father in law has a good wood set for working on windows, so my see if I can borrow that! Thanks for the comments so far

7. 6guns

6guns TDPRI Member

8. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i dunno, i kinda like it with the white filler. i know it's ugly, but it's part of the history of the guitar now. somehow i think removing the filler would seem more like "cheating" than leaving it in. it looks like you've already got plenty of other non-filled dents and dings coming along nicely.

9. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

This. The history of a guitar is more important than how it looks, in my opinion.

10. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I'm with the two posts above me. Leave it as is, it tells it's own story

11. pwgsy

pwgsy TDPRI Member

Okay, I guess I will leave it for now. It's much easier to remove it later than to remove now and regret it. Will just go for the good clean and rub down on the rest of the body to try and bring out some of the old colour again.

Cheers

12. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

13. nicholaspaul

nicholaspaul Tele-Meister

Wait another twenty years and see how you like it. Looks great to me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.