Bats in the belfry

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, May 17, 2019.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

well it’s not a belfry but in my ceiling. Storm damage to the soffit on the NE corner of my house has presented a perfect bat house. 20’ above the ground, an easterly facing opening, & full on daylight sunshine.

The soffit has been opened, a bat deterrent has been applied, but the little buggers just come back

Has anyone here had any experience getting rid of bats. I’d rather not have them killed but I want them gone.

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

To get it done right without hurting them you will probably need to build an alternative place for them to roost.

I have seen plans for "bat houses" that you can attach to your roof.

My parent's house had bats for years. Getting the bats to move to the louvers on the outside of the house was a project that took several years.

Hope you find a more timely solution.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

My grandmother's farmhouse in central Pennsylvania had them in the attic. It was a battle that went on for years. When we were little, my brother and I would go up in there and whack 'em out of the air with tennis rackets while our grandmother sucked them up in a shopvac while they were stunned. It was a hoot!

When we got bigger, we tried shooting them with shotguns on their way in/out in the evening...that was nearly impossible.

What finally worked was running a hose up into the attic walls and asphyxiating them all with engine exhaust.

JL_LI likes this.
  4. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I once had a problem with dog barking incessantly across the road.
    I fed a signal generator into my guitar amp, with the frequency above human hearing range (but dogs can hear it), and aimed it across the road through an open window. Every time the dog started barking, I'd switch on the amp - when he stopped I'd switch it off.
    Dog stopped barking within a day or so.

One funny thing happened during this training procedure (well, funny to me 'cause I have a dark sense of humour).
    One time I had turned the amp on, a little old lady went past on the footpath walking her little dog. I hear her say "What's wrong Muffy", as Muffy is cringing on the footpath.

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It would probably be easier if he moved out.

6. JayFreddy

nojazzhere and Paul in Colorado like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I helped put screen netting around an entire roof until the roof could be replaced. Catching the remaining bats with a fishing net was fun and kept the house bat free until the next year when funds to fix the roof was available.

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

You can buy little plug in rodent deterrents that emit high frequency sounds humans cant hear. Maybe they will work on bats too? They are cheap to buy and power and easy to position with a extension lead.

9. JayFreddy

We tried one of those. It didn't work.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Bummer, maybe try a plug in air freshener with a scent you think might drive them off?

11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the replies but I need, if possible, serious solutions

12. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

We are talking about bats ...... there's bound to be the Joker lurking nearby.

P.S. I think all the suggestions to date have been serious or worthy of consideration.

8barlouie and Junkyard Dog like this.
  13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

play bauhaus loudly outdoors.

radiocaster likes this.
  14. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Call Batman.

Seriously, I have seen some electronic repellent devices on the market, specific for bats. But I don't know if they do works.

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

We've had a few. I really hate working in my converted attic studio late at night, and catch some motion out of the side of my eye. Like a little flit of darkness that flies by. When I see that it is a bat, I get pretty weird. For one thing, I wake up my wife so that she can catch it in a jar or colander. I help by keeping an overview of the entire operation, by helpfully providing commands, warnings, recriminations, jokes, threats, and promises, anything to keep me from having to deal with the little f*ers themselves. We have worked on sealing up the house, and haven't had any visitors in maybe 10 years or more.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Love bats, sitting outside when it’s dark looking up in the sky and seeing the little fellows swoop down and eat bugs.

trapdoor2 likes this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Have an exterminator coming over today to look at the situation.

I’d rather not kill but I don’t want them in my house. Exterminator has a couple of solutions that may annoy them to leaving and we can get the temporary closure put up. This requires cooperation/coordination with exterminator, contractor, scaffolding, & the bats

Last case scenario we smoke them and suffer 2 weeks or so of smelling carcasses

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Then why come here? There are professionals that deal with this and offer a range of solutions. They are easy to find.

19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Because there are people here that have real world experiences that maybe will be helpful. I also expect the smartass replies. That’s part of what makes TDPRI what it is. I took a chance, flipped a coin, got a chuckle or two

MilwMark you obviously don’t live on a rock in the middle of a sea where “professionals” is a relative term.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Years ago, we built bat houses and nailed them up in the trees all over the yard. Took about a week for them to be populated. Never had a problem in the house. Squirrels, however...

I was out on the back porch at dusk last week setting up the telescope and there were dozens of bats out flitting among the trees overhead. Very cool. Mosquitos had me for dinner anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.