Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Basswood Telecaster kit - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mangus, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:42 AM.

1. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Hi there,
    I've bought a kit that's made of basswood with a maple neck and I would like to finish it with oil(really love the feeling). THe problem is I would like the wood on the body to be darker than it is, so that leads me to the question that brings me here: Should I stain and grainfill(mahogany colour), just grain fill, just stain?

I've finished other woods before but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to basswood, the only thing I have to say it's that it's too light in all the senses of the word..

Regards

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    There is no grain to fill on basswood. You can stain with an oil based stain like minwax. It will bring out the " rings" on the wood as well. Half a million 80's and 90's pointy peghead guitars were made from basswood. It is a hardwood but it is less dense, but not overly lightweight like paulonia.

DrASATele likes this.

3. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2017
    Toronto

4. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Right now I only have water based stains and I really don't want to spend any more money on this. Can it be done with them?

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Water based stains are difficult on wood because they raise the grain with every application which means you're constantly sanding and then reapplying.

6. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Does it mean that I have to stain, sand and apply stain again before applying oil?

7. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Is there any decent quality/decent price parts I should be looking for to replace the parts that come with the body?(HB kit)

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    cts pots ,switchcraft switch, alnico pickups You might have to enlarge the lead pickup rout and control plate pot holes.

9. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Possibly needs better tuners too. The ones you got with it *may* be OK, I would just hate to drill holes for tuners which you may end up changing out.

10. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    I like heavy-rock,(like GNR and Rage against the machine), are there any pickups that would place me in the right ballpark? I would like to order Buddah as I've heard great things about them but I can't convince the gentleman who makes them to sell them abroad.(I live in Europe)

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    There is a TDPRI thread on this kit, you might want to take a look at;

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/telecaster-kit-or-parts.576866/#post-6528869

My own advice would be to build the kit as it is supplied, once you have built a serviceable guitar then look at what needs replacing. Which you may find starts with the nut rther than anything electrical. aas far as pickups go the partscasters I have built have used Tonerider pickups. Have fun.

creekrat likes this.

12. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I agree with the above advice, but for the sound you are looking for, higher output humbucking tele pickups should get closer than the single coils.

14. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    I would prefer to keep the original style of pickups if possible.

15. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    They make Humbucking telecaster fitting pickups. Like The Seymor Duncan Little 59 and tone stack neck pups. This is supposed to sound like a Les Paul bridge Humbucker. Not sure how close it is, as I haven't used one. Don't know about the neck. But, they are popular. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...Nai2HOslMO6tiqJEjAv3X6m9DkJVn_ZxoCv6oQAvD_BwE

[​IMG]

DrASATele likes this.

16. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    Basswood has very tight grain, and does not need grain filler. But, in my experience, basswood does NOT take stain well. The grain pattern may look nice BEFORE stain, but the wood's porosity and ability to accept stain is highly irregular, and the stained finish will almost certainly look horrible (in my experience). Basswood is an excellent body wood for solid-color finishes. I don't think that an oil finish will give a very attractive result.

17. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    we'll see.. I may ask a friend of mine for alcohol based stain if need be but I really like the colour of mahogany under oil

DrASATele likes this.

18. DavidV

DavidV TDPRI Member

Saturday
    United States
    Fiebing's leather dye works well on basswood in my experience, as well as RIT dye dissolved in alcohol. You want dyes for basswood rather than stains as they go on evenly and don't highlight the rather unattractive grain. Neither are very expensive and can be picked up locally.

19. mangus

mangus TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Which colour would correspond to the colour of mahogany?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.