Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Bassman + Marshall "all in one"

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ganzua, Sep 16, 2008.

  1. ganzua

    ganzua Tele-Meister

    Dec 24, 2006

    I wonder if there is any tube amp that can provide Bassman clean sounds and Marshall distorted sounds. Unfortunately I have neighbors and I need that the amp can develop good sound at low volumes, good distortion and sutain.

    Does an amp like this one exist? :D

  2. Texsunburst59

    Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

    Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I've had a '66 BF Bassman for a while. It's not stock. I wasn't original when I bought it and had iron changed out. Anyway, it's been Allen/Master Volume modded. It also has an external bias mod, and just recently I got it modded to take El-34's and 6V6's. Most of the recordings I've made using this amp have been with 6L6's,but now that I've got it loaded with EL-34's,it really sings. I can get some really sweet Tweed/Plexi singing sustain at almost bedroom levels. The key is the master volume mod. I mainly run mine through a Mesa 1x12 openback cab loaded with a reconed 4 ohm Celestion V-30 speaker.On the clean Normal Channel is the AA-864 circuitry which can dialed in for a nice fat jazz clean tone or an nice crystal clean tone with a lot of sparkle.

  3. winny pooh

    winny pooh Friend of Leo's

    Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    Arguably, you could make a Bassman clone with one channel normal. the other with a marshall tone stack and have a switchable rectifier amongst other things.
    Others here can elaborate in more detail.

  4. ganzua

    ganzua Tele-Meister

    Dec 24, 2006
    Thanks for the answers, Texsunburst59, bassame and winny pooh :D

    The vintage Bassman option is always there, yes. The "do it your self" is not an option for me because I have no idea of electronics, further from guitar circuits.

    I take note about that Fargen, but I'm not sure that I can give it a try here in the south of Europe. ;)

  5. Wayne Alexander

    Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

    To have "Marshall distorted sounds" you need Celestion speakers (or at least speakers with that type of voice). The closest stock amp I'm aware of that fits your description is a Marshall JTM45. The current Marshall offerings aren't as good as the clones you can get from Metro or other "good" cloners. You'll want a master volume or Power Scaling or VVR system added.

    In the alternative, a Marshall 1987 (50-watt lead) amp from the 70's or 80's would do what you describe, again with a master volume, Power Scaling or VVR added. The current Marshall 1987x is not as good as the old ones. Again, you can get a clone at Metro or a few other places.

  6. ThermionicScott

    ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

    Dec 3, 2005
    Seems like one would need two separate power amps to do each tone justice. A Bassman alongside an 18-watter would probably be about right, but then you'd lose the "all-in-one" aspect.

    - Scott

  7. DMace

    DMace Friend of Leo's

    Jul 30, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    My guess is that David Allen could build something precisely to your specifications, and it would be top-notch in every respect.

  8. 791979

    791979 Tele-Meister

    Jan 2, 2004
    JTM45 & a Blackstone pedal!!

    Are you near Alicante? If so I have a Ceriatone JTM45 coming in a few weeks, and I should have my Blackstone pedal working by then (a switch needs replacing). Maybe you can try mine.

  9. ruger9

    ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

    Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I know of NO amp that can do both 100%, but a MODDED Peavey Classic 50 (especially the 410 version) cops both tones pretty well... especially Bassman.

    But the drive chanel must be modded, I did this to mine, and it worked great. (and I just sold it today...)

    Let me know if you're interested in the mods.

    WHOOPS!! I missed the part about "apartment volumes"... you definitely need a modeling amp for that. I recommend the Vox AD series.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008

  10. Ptrallan01

    Ptrallan01 Tele-Holic

    Mar 2, 2004
    At apartment volumes

    you might be a candidate for sometype of modelling amp. Not everyone's cup of tea but it might work since many sound incredibly good at low volumes. If you use it to play out you will need to create the same patches designed to handle greater volume. In other words two bassman based patches one for the living room, one for the stage/jam. Two marshall patches one for the living room, one for the stage.

  11. ganzua

    ganzua Tele-Meister

    Dec 24, 2006
    Thanks to everybody for the answers :D

    I already have an infamous modelling amp :D among others but whenever you play a real Bassman or a Marshall it is not the same at all. I asked for an "all in one" tube amp solution because that one would be my holly grail amp; Bassman + Marshall distortion + low volume, I don't need anything else :D .

    I find all the suggestions quite interesting and I didn't thought of a custom build. I took down all the builders though it seems an expensive path.

    Unfortunately not, but thanks for the offer :D However, I never liked distortion from stomp boxes.

  12. ruger9

    ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

    Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    If you could just remove the "low volume" requirement (which few amps do well anyway), you would definitely have some options.

    Whatever you might find, I'll bet it's going to need a built-in attenuator/power scaling, or you will have to buy an attenuator, to try to get it down to low volumes.

    Even if you DO find a "Bassman+Marshall" amp, it's probably not going to be a low-volume amp... I think this is a case where you will have to settle for 2 out of 3:

    1) Bassman
    2) Marshall
    3) Low Volume

    The only other solution is to buy TWO low-powered amps: one that sounds like a Bassman & one that sounds like a Marshall.

  13. ganzua

    ganzua Tele-Meister

    Dec 24, 2006
    Hey Ruger

    if I remove the low volume requirement I have to remove the neighbors aswell :D

    You're probably right and I really appreciate your help. BTW what low powered amps are good?

  14. blueline

    blueline TDPRI Member

    Aug 25, 2008
    The Koch Twintone fits the bill pretty closely. I finally got my hands on a used one a while ago after trying out a new one a couple years back (pretty pricey). The clean channel tone is kind of a Bassman/Twin Reverb cross, and I can definitely dial the OD channel into Marshall territory, but with a little more "hi-fi" quality to it. Built in power soak (-25 watts) and master volume can keep the volume low enough to keep most folks happy. EL34 power tubes help capture the Marshall sound, and the Custom Koch Jensen speaker helps out with the clean (Fender) tones I think. Individual tone controls on each channel helps too. Kind of a good mixture, check it out. The other amp I'd recommend is an old Reverend Hellhound. You can still find them around, and they're a little cheaper. The "schizo" switch changes the character of the amp from US to UK, kind of the same idea. It's basically an eq curve adjustment, but it's apparently pre-gain because when you switch it to UK, you definitely get the upper midrange kick of a Marshall, and more crunch to go along with it. Hope this helps.

  15. Ben Harmless

    Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

    Mar 10, 2003
    Allston, Mass
    I have zero interest in discouraging anyone on their quest, but it just seems to me that Bassman and Marshall tones just aren't really Bassman and Marshall tones unless they're pushing some air. What makes those tones desirable just plain doesn't really happen at bedroom volumes.

    Now, that being said, if you've got some dough to spend, a Carr Mercury would make you a happy camper. I think that little beast has much of the mojo that you're looking for in a small box - with a pretty decent built-in attenuator.

  16. PhatTele

    PhatTele Tele-Holic

    Jun 3, 2003
    Richmond, VA
    At low volume?? way. You'll need a pedal for that.

    Meanwhile, if you're looking for a good mod for a BF/SF Bassman or Bandmaster which will get you a good gig volume split, try this link:

    I leave out the 750pF bypass cap (too muddy). Great mod otherwise. I've put it in at least 7 or 8 amps and have never been asked to reverse it. It gives you a nice Marshall/Vox tone.

  17. Joe-Bob

    Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

    Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Ben speaks true! :cool:

    A big part of the "tone" so many people search for is that it's loud! :D

    Ya gotta move some air to get that grin, folks. Sorry.

    It's just not going to happen in a neighbor-friendly situation. :(

  18. 791979

    791979 Tele-Meister

    Jan 2, 2004

    I have a 7 watt (non master volume) amp here, a I can hardly get to 2 on the volume control before it gets loud. But, NOTHING sounds good, unless you get the air really moving IMHO. I just try and do it when the neighbours are out, and I am seriously looking for a new house/workshop in the countryside so I can have the freedom to turn my amps up.

    A good pedal helps at low volume though, I know that you said you didn't like the sound of pedals, have you tried the BOR, or Blackstone? It seems to me that they are very realistic sounding and feeling, and both work well with a clean amp.

  19. ganzua

    ganzua Tele-Meister

    Dec 24, 2006
    Thanks to everybody for the answers :D

    Well, I'm aware that you have to move some air and probably sooner or later I will get me a Marshall and Bassman clone or the real thing, but that won't solve the neighbors problem :D

    Anyway, more clear now what's available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.