Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bassman 10 80s era on CL--your expertise needed.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Ira7, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    i can't afford this now anyway. My electric and water utilities have other plans for my money, not to mention my wife who thinks we need a new dining room set. Me, I'm content to eat out of paper bags.

And my argument of "But you can't PLAY a dining room set!" fell on deaf ears.

But look at what's up for sale in my neighborhood, and there's NEVER anything vintage up for sale where I live.

Is this one of those Bassmans that's good for regular guitar too? I await your analysis on price, function, pitfalls and benefits.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/msg/d/vintage-fender-bassman/6288372935.html

2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I can't recommend it for that price. If that's a late 70s Bassman 10, it will play above it's 70 watt rating when used for Bass. Guitar is a bit underwhelming. The Ultra Linear Bassman 10 is kind of a dud circuit for guitar.

There's some (a lot) discussion on them in the thread below. I gutted mine and rewired it twice, added a preamp tube, and a 5V filament transformer before I got it where I wanted it. I love it now, but unless you want to overhaul it completely, I wouldn't mess with it.

It weighs a whole lot, too. Like 85-90lbs. Great if you are gonna backline it on a stage or practice space and rarely move it.

The iron is good, but you'll get like 520 B+ on it, which I didn't care for (Guitar wise, again). That's why I used a 5V filament transformer, so I could put a 5U4 tube in an drop some voltage.

I'd pick one up again, now that I know what to do with 'em, but it's only worth 200-250, to me, at least.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ul-bassman-mods.644789/

That said, I have a circuit layout that I built and tested if you wanna gut it and put in a JCM800 and Dr. Z Rt. 66 tandem of channels in there.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017

3. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Okay.

There's no way I'm entering the realm of amp modification.

But if I can't do the mods myself, is it even worth $250 to me?

4. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And the 10 wasn't made in the 70s, according to what I read on Wiki.

82 to something, if I'm remembering it right.

5. Commodore 64

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    My Bassman 10 is a '79.

And yeah, It's worth $250-300 so long as you don't mind the weight. I gigged it a few times before I did anything to the circuit. It'll do alright.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Not without some serious work by a good tech. In stock form they make terrible guitar amps IMO - and every single one I've seen has needed complete service as well - filter caps, all tubes replaced. and the speakers aren't good for guitar, so right out of the chute you are looking at about $700 for service and speakers plus conversion to a guitar amp.

Just not worth it unless you can do everything yourself and have plenty of speakers on hand.

Ira7 likes this.

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I have owned a few Bassman 10 amps, that I quickly sold. They do have a normal and bass channel but as mentioned by others I don't think they sound very good for guitar.
    Certainly not as good as a SF Bassman head.

The ones I owned had some buzzing issues in the cabinet, they are heavy bulky ( same size as Super Reverb, same size chassis too but no reverb or tremolo)

Unless it was really cheap, I wouldn't even think about buying one, and I would only buy it to flip it, probably would have to part it out to make any $.

Some folks like to use the chassis as a mod or rebuild platform, again it would have to be cheap to do that IMO.

8. Agree on all of the above. I bought one 2 or 3 summers ago in Tampa for $275 because it had 4 nearly new ragin cagun' s in it. Without those, I'd have passed even at that price. Still haven't gotten around to modding it...

Mine is a 73. I think 72 was the first year. Commodore could tell you what year they went ultralinear but the early ones are either 40 or 45 watts

9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    $250 would be a great deal in my opinion. I had a 40 watt older version that I sold due to not having reverb but it was a cool amp...I've learned that the wife's happiness is worth more than $250 though :) I'd go play through it and see what you think- see if you really like it or not

10. Commodore 64

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Yes, to reiterate, it's not great for guitar. It is, however, a pretty decent bass amp.

And the filter caps in mine were leaking when I bought it. So yes, it will need service.

It's a good 250-300 dollar tube bass amp that will surprise you with its power. This is the Bassman model that actually sounds better as a bass amp. Ha.

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I had an early 40-45-whatever watt model that was made in 1972. It was my second amp I ever owned. Loved, loved, loved it---it was loud, fat, punchy and sweet...and with the master volume, it could break up at lower volumes.

But dang, that thing was heavy!

I had to make a house payment, so it was a choice between the Bassman Ten or the Vibroverb. I chose the one that could be picked up easily and had vibrato/tremolo/whatever.

12. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2004
    Made from '72 to '82 according to FFG. I expect an '82 would have had the '80's Blackface cosmetics.

Their are circuit differences from the heads, plus the 10 lacks choke and has a smaller OT.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    True - not much volume but the sound is OK for bass.

It will still likely need Minimum $100 and more likely $250 or so in service and tubes before it can be used without a chance of it blowing. they usually have original filter caps - if so it shouldn't be played at all no matter how it sounds.

14. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yep. According to Wiki:

• Bassman 10 (1972–1982) – Silverface combo – four 10" speakers, 50 Watts/RMS (models produced after 1977 came with a three-band EQ on the Bass channel and 75 Watts/RMS with ultra-linear output section).

I'll pass, which is just as well. I'm broke anyway.

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    The first one I encountered was owned by a singer in our band, he used it for bass, at lower volume it sounded ok, but when the amp was cranked the cabinet had buzzing issues.

There are many many bass amps,SS and tube, that sound much better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.