Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

bass was left without strings for years...help

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Sarde, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Sarde

Sarde TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2016
    San Pedro, CA
    I have a friend who asked me to string his bass (34" scale ibanez 5 string) for him. I am a guitar player not a bass guy, FYI. He had left it for 2 years without stings. I knew that it would take the neck some time to adjust to having tension (I assumed it would be buzzing until it settles). So, I put strings on it and tried to tune to pitch. It seemed like there was too much string tension, but it was working and not fretting out...and then the G string broke (65 gauge). I got a replacement G string (70 gauge) and it broke. Did I tune it an octave too high? I detuned it by an octave (maybe) but it fretted out all the way down the neck and it feels like there is hardly any tension on the strings. So I left it overnight to acclimate to tension...no change.

Im looking for suggestions as to how to proceed.

-Sarde

2. jcerio2

jcerio2 TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2016
    US
    Was the truss rod loosened while the bass was without strings? If not, the neck is likely twisted beyond repair. I would remove the strings, loosen the truss rod and check for twisting. If there is no twist, try putting the right strings on it - .040 or .045 is the right gauge for a g string. I'm not surprised that a .060 broke if you tried turning it to G! I'd recommend starting with a set of D'Addario XL .040 Standard 5 string. That would likely be a good set for a 34" scale 5 string.

Jakedog and soulman969 like this.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yep, jcerio is correct. You're trying to tune a typical D string gauge up to G. A G string would be in the .040-.045 range. Like this;

GHS Pressurewound Bass Strings are made from GHS's exclusive Alloy 52, a magnetically active material designed specifically to increase the strings brightness. During the winding process, each string's outer wrapping is flattened slightly. This extra process gives the GHS Pressurewound Bass Strings a great smoother feeling and also reduces finger noise and string shift noises.

String Construction:

• Long Scale - 34" Scale Basses
    • 37.25" NEW Winding Length from Ball End to Silk
    • .044 .062 .084 .106 .128

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Sarde

Sarde TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2016
    San Pedro, CA
    Oh man ,I am such an idiot. I thought it was tuned just like a guitar e-a-d-g-b. I will go back and fix that. The neck looked straight to me when I was messing with it. I feel like it has had some tension on the neck for over a week so I feel confident in checking the truss rod to adjust it. Thanks for the help guys!

BTW, my friend used our church's fender p bass lyte since his was down...I liked that thing.

6. jcerio2

jcerio2 TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2016
    US
    P-Bass Lyte is a very nice instrument. One of the "overlooked" Fender gems from Japan. Other examples are anything with the Heartfield brand name, the MB-4 and 5 (once you upgrade the pickups), and the Prophecy Series.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.