Bass. Tubes. Don't like "Presence". Talk about it?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by LetItGrowTone, May 21, 2019.

1. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

1. I know I could feed back more highs.

2. Does not liking presence mean *the same thing* as not liking too much of the effect of the speaker's rise in impedance with frequency? (This could be reduced by driving a more resistive load (or an entirely resistive load, and taking the output from a "transformer out" or Fender's "Line/Recording" jack, which I never tried.)

3. Do those infamous 220K local negative feedback resistors over the 6L6s in the AB165 address *this exact issue*, or something else?

Anything else to learn? Thank you.

2. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

I can't remember where I saw it, but one of our great tube experts explained (with an o-scope trace) that a rasp forms when... (paraphrasing loosely)... when the two PP halves of a squarish wave don't sum together perfectly and there are discontinuities that generate spikes that fill the gaps.

But I don't know if *this* is the rasp in question.

I'm guessing that it's lessened with a better balanced PI. My output section is now "all the way" to AA371. It's pretty solid.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.