Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bass Guitar Ideas......

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Paul Jenkin, Feb 6, 2019.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

There's a youtube series "Scotts Bass" or something, he's pretty good and insightful in general. One video he interviewed a big name session bass player who said if you don't show up to a studio with a P-bass, you might as well go back home.

This is my bass I futz around on. Washburn XB-100 P-bass I bought used four or five years ago for $40 and later modded with a pair of J-bass pickups and a Strat 5-way blade switch. The neck pickup gives some low tones and the 2/4 in-between options give some more fun. A lot of PJ basses out there so I tried the neck addition (because the 5-way works best with three pickups) and while the Internet may freak out (shrug) this guitar layout as an experiment does fine.

[​IMG]

2. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2009
    Pacific NW
    I'm working with a short scale Talman TMB30: lots of P-bass character, a Precision-like neck, super fun to play, and under 150 quid!

nojazzhere and Tony474 like this.
  3. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    There's a coincidence – I was just about to post exactly the same thing, scrolled down and saw you'd beaten me to it. I bought a TMB30 a while ago and I love it! Super build quality and playability, amazing for the price. 30" scale, P/J pickup configuration and only £140 in black, or for some reason a bit more in cream.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-...MI97yHzOun4AIVLbXtCh0czAiKEAQYASABEgItffD_BwE

I already had two other basses, an early-'80s Ibanez Blazer BL700NT and a Westone Thunder 1A. But the short scale of the little TMB30 suits me fine and as a bonus it just about fits snugly in a regular guitar gig bag.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Apologies all, I was mistaken. It's a Mexican (Geddy Lee Jazz) bass.

5. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Budget is whatever I can get for 2/3 guitars in trade - Probably about £1,500.

P-Bass is probably top of the shop right now.

Thank you.

drewcp likes this.
  6. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I've seen them but know very little about them. I'll check this out.....but it won't be a brown / burst one :eek:

7. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thanks. I'm a BIG Rush and Yes fan, so this is definitely a contender - but the budget might prevent me - unless I can find a second-hand one.

8. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Not sure I want the British invasion sound but I will check out the Hofner. Many years afo I had a Gibson EB3 - short scale and violin style tuners. I traded it for my drum kit. Goodness knows what it'd fetch if I still had it....!

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    In the process of acquiring (assembling) my first bass. Definitely a process, but enjoying it and I will have something I think I may appreciate more that buying off the shelf.

Just started the final sand and buff of the body last week and the neck just arrived today (9 weeks in the making).

Still need to apply clear to the neck so it will be a few more months before I can post any photos.

It's basically a 60's style P-Bass.

10. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I've got a J (Geddy Lee signature - MX not MIJ as I'd mistakenly written). A P-Base is a high probability but there seems to be a lot of love for the Danelectro, so I'll have to check one out. Thank you.

11. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    As I said, I have every respect for bass players and, if I'm honest, I actually enjoy playing my bass more than ,my guitars right now. I've always thought that the bass is half way to percussion - or almost tuned percussion. If I had the room / soundproofing, I'd be back to drumming but bass seems like the best compromise, right now. Thanks.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thank you. It looks stunning. Not sure if they're available in the UK but I'll find out. Don't take this the wrong way but being American-made isn't a requirement for me.

13. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thanks. I'd never even considered PRS as I didn't know they made basses. I have a 6 string SE Tremonti and the build is superb. I'll see if I can find the Kestrel somewhere in the Uk. Cheers.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    In that case, I see that Music Man introduced a passive short-scale Stingray bass at NAMM. US RRP seems to be $1999. No idea what UK retail will be, but possibly within your stated budget. Worth looking into, maybe?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  15. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    I'm guessing you mean scott devine (wears gloves to play?). Man is that guy good. love to watch him.

Paul Jenkin and brookdalebill like this.
  16. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Scotts Bass Lessons. com

Check out his series on what bass to play.

I agree you can't go wrong with a straight up P. You already have a J (and a nice Geddy Lee at that) so add the P and you are done.

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I just want to reiterate any solid body bass will be fine, but you want to get out of the mentality of playing guitar. On bass you have a different set of problems and potentials and joys. You want to think like a bass player, not like a guitar player picking up the bass. One way to do that is to get away from "guitar like" instruments. You have a perfectly good bass that can do anything an electric bass can do. A p-bass will give you a slightly different flavor, but it won't represent a big departure. I'd suggest again getting something far from guitar, as far as possible. You can always sell it and go back.

I have range of basses from homebuilt short scale hollowbodies to p and j basses to an upright to a Dingwall fanned fret five string. They're all good, but I feel like i'm a bass player first on all of them, not a guitar player playing a bass. If you read about players who switched to bass, like Sting or McCartney, they all talk about how eventually they realized what it could do as an instrument, not just as an alternative to guitar Does that make sense? I think you get there faster if you pick an instrument far from guitar. If you are hesitant to try short scales or hollow bodies, a Pbass with flatwounds is a good place to start.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Paul Jenkin likes this.
  18. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Yes, I completely understand where you're coming from.

My first foray into playing an instrument was playing bass in a band with school friends - way back in the late 70s - when I was in the last couple of years at school. I swapped to drums when we lost the drummer. We had another friend who could play bass better than me (not difficult) but we couldn't find a drummer.

Move forward almost 40 years and I want to play music but have no room for drums. So, I decided to learn guitar. It's been a struggle to find the time and, to be fair, it's been very slow progress.

Anyway, it occurred to the other day that whenever I listen to music, I almost invariably follow the bass lines first and foremost. As I'm a long way from being proficient on a guitar, this seems like a good time to flip priorities and focus on becoming a bass player.

So, I'm going to thin the herd of guitars I have and get myself a second bass and take it from there.

19. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Well, the deed is done. I'm now the owner of a Warwick 4 string Corvette fitted with two humbuckers and a two band EQ. It's ash bodied, 24 frets (34" scale) and finished in a satin black finish. It was also well within budget.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I was half expecting to be going home with a P-Bass. I tried a few and they're lovely. However, I was really taken with the versatility of tone that the Warwick has.

I'll try to get some photos of it posted this week.

Tony474 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.