I’m in various stages of 3 different bass builds in case anyone is interested in following along. Two of them are going to follow this concept drawing except not that headstock. Chris (TDPRI’r Anyone) is helping me come up with a cool headstock design, cuz his headstocks are the epitome of cool. One of them will be a 5-string P-bass style build, I’ll get to that in a minute. Back in 2011 I made this template for the Jaguar shaped bass body and started building one out of cherry. It’s fairly heavy but the sound characteristics should be epic and it’s the nicest wood I’ve ever worked with hands down. Unfortunately I was lousy with the pictures on this first one, but here it is after I applied some black trans-tint. It has tummy and forearm cuts and controls from the rear. The neck for the black one I purchased for about $25 from a Chinese vendor. It was reasonably straight but the fretwork was lousy and the nut broke in shipping. I pulled all the frets, radiused the fretboard, refretted it and shaped the headstock. It looked like this after all that work. I’m just noticing I haven’t made a new nut for it at this point. With that done it was time for the color and clear coats. I didn’t like the trans-tint stain because it wasn’t black enough, sorta purple on the cherry so I went with a solid black lacquer coat and here it is with a coat of clear on it. Since this was cherry and seemed too heavy, at some point I decided to go with a swimming pool style route for the pups. It relieved a lot of weight. All of this work was done in 2011. Fast forward to today and here’s where the black one gets interesting. I recalled it only had one coat of clear on it. So I grabbed a can of Behlin’s lacquer and laid another coat on. It reminded me of Moses parting the sea as the previous clear coat bubbled, fish eyed and went ballistic. Apparently I was using Dupli-color Acrylic lacquer in 2011, it didn’t play well with the Behlin’s nitro lacquer…at all. So here it is today on the bench ready for a redo. Looks like I lacquered the neck at some point. Now we are all caught up on the black one. The next one is the same design but made out of Ash. A lot lighter and should still sound great me thinks. It currently looks like this. I’m not ordering anymore Chinese necks so here it is with the neck roughed out. It’s a real nice flamey piece of maple I found at Home Depot. Lastly we have the P-Bass build coming along. Here’s a photo summary. Trying to decide which side was the back. Ready to route the perimeter I believe that sums up my bass building from 2011 to 2013. Time to move forward and get them all done. I’ll do a better job documenting from here on out…probably.