Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Basic Loopers: Boss RC-3 or DigiTech JamMan Solo XT?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FenderGuy53, Jan 6, 2013.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Meister

Old thread, but I'm dithering over the Solo XT and the RC-3... and the Ditto X2... did I mention I was dithering?

Found this comment on an acoustic forum:

"...one advantage that the Digitech pedals still have over the Boss offerings is a flexible time-signature function. With the Boss pedals, when you use the rhythm functions for looping, you can only make loops in 4/4 and 3/4. The Jamman allows you to work with anything from 2 to 15 beats per measure, and it will quantize those for you just like it does with the default 4/4."

I'm trying to decide if this is a deal decider, given that I'm a 'bedroom' player with timing that's, let's say, in need of improvement.

2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    None of the bells and whistles you think matter actually do. What's important for a looper are dedicated start/stop switches and good foot switches. Rule out any single button looper.

3. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Unless it's a ditto. Went from a 4 button to one button no big deal.

4. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    I have a Boomerang 3 which is probably the easiest to use looper on the market. I thought I'd be able to sell it and replace it with a Ditto. The one button Ditto was too frustrating for me. I couldn't consistently stop loops. I had the same problem with the RC2...RC3...Jammans.

Maybe I'm just not a coordinated as everyone else here? I haven't checked out the Ditto X2 with the two buttons. Maybe I can work with that?? (then sell the 'rang...and use the $200 proceeds for another toy?)

5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I will keep m rang. Its the best and i already own it.

6. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

Jun 1, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I have a RC-3 (my most expensive pedal). I'm hardly using it. Difficult to stop. I cannot remember the functions because I don't use it regularly. The pedal is also noisy (my main complaint) if you are using it with other pedals (daisy chain).

7. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    I had the RC-3 (sold it). I had to run it off it's own dedicated supply or the clock noise from the pedal (that high pitch squeal) would bleed into the signal. It should be quiet if you use an isolated outlet supply like a Fuel Pump, Dunlop Brick, PedalPower, or Cioks.

With one button...the RC-3 is hard to stop and the Boss buttons are also kinda stiff for tapping. TC's buttons are lighter touch ... but I've read that some folks had the buttons fail. (mine was fine while I owned it).

The super light touch of the Boomerang is the best...there's zero travel and they have a light click that you can feel.

8. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    I have the RC3, RC50, Rang III, and Ditto.

The Boomerang is the best for live multi tracking, hands down.

In my band, I use the ditto for a looped trill or looped riff - very easy to use for a one-off line to play in the background of a song and play on top of. "wicked smawl" on my board - both good things for that application.

9. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    The rang no doubt rocks. For me it's too big and too expensive.

10. VerySlowHand

I never had that problem with my RC-2, nor did I find it hard to get a cleanly timed loop, either with or without quantize.

I think it comes down to whether you need a looper for live use - and if not, whether you prefer red, blue or grey. :D

PS. I just received a Jamman Solo XT and it's faulty. I returned a Jamman Stereo last week that was also faulty. It looks like bad luck with Digitech. I'll order the RC-3 instead.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

11. Hyliandeity

Hyliandeity TDPRI Member

May 4, 2014
    Boston
    I'd recommend the ditto x2. It's perfect and in he same price range. You get a dedicated stop, and you can clear a loop without it starting again using the effects button in stop mode. The effects are fun to play with too.

And if you need to work on timing, nothing is better than a metronome.

12. VerySlowHand

I think you're right on all counts. I have the G3, so if I get frustrated until my timing improves, I can always resort to quantize on that.

I had thought that I'd use a looper for storing backing tracks, but I'm not so sure - it's probably best to keep them on a laptop so you can make a library and play them on demand, as it were. You can't really do that with a looper - you just get 'tracks' 1-99. Also, if you record/loop over a backing track, you've screwed the original track anyway. So maybe the TC is the answer.

Like Lance said above - the bells and whistles might not be what you need.

I think we've talked me into a Ditto! :D

Fenderguy53 - if you're still around, we were both on the same path, so I'm wondering what conclusion you came to.

13. Hyliandeity

Hyliandeity TDPRI Member

May 4, 2014
    Boston

Haha I was in the same boat that you are in just a few weeks a go and I settled on the ditto x2. I went into the store and tried it and it was just easy and fun to use. The extra stop button helps a lot.

I haven't looked into backing tracks with the ditto x2 though. I know it's an option although I believe it only stores one at a time. You can look at the manual online if you have questions about that. A simple google search should bring you there.

I kinda wanted a looper to get away from premade backing tracks. I figured if I made a loop it would help me work on my theory and writing because I was making it myself, plus I would know all of the chords that I used for when I wanted to jam over it. In general it just makes soloing easier and more fun when for me when I don't have to look for a backing track and have a computer and speaker there to play it, and now I can just throw down a few chords, add an extra thing like strumming muted strings, then have something that's right there at my feet for when I want to solo. I guess if you make a loop you like enough you can store it and save it to your computer if that's what you're looking for. Like I said I haven't looked into doing this, but it is an option, and the manual has more info on it than I do.

Either way, I highly recommend the ditto x2. I'm glad I helped and if you have any questions ask away!

14. VerySlowHand

EDIT: Sorry guys... I was thinking too hard again. :D

15. JPCordingley

JPCordingley TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Manchester
    I'm certainly considering the JamMan Solo XT with the addition of one or two Express XTs synced up. I think this would pretty much be the perfect solution to my needs. I play in a band who have been cursed with a series of unreliable drummers. The only drummer we ever got on with, who we're still good mates with now lives on the other side of the country. He has, however, continually offered to record drum parts for us remotely. The XT would give us the option to continue our collaboration with him without him having to up sticks and move. It would also provide us with a new tool for looping together, creating intricate layers and textures. Think Digitech have struck a winner here. Will try to put a few quid together in the New Year. Am also GASing for a VM Cabronita with Bigsby but I reckon that'll take a bit longer to save for - I am, like most people in the UK, vastly underpaid.

16. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2012
    New York, NY
    I had a Ditto (one-button version), which I sold for that very reason. However, since selling it, I came across a tip that might be helpful for stopping a loop: Time your double-click on the beat. In other words, click the switch once on the last beat of the last measure of the loop, and again on the downbeat of the first measure of the loop.

If you're in 4/4 time, a simple representation would be:

1-2-3-click-click

I suppose this might not work for really slow tempos... :)

I'm tempted to buy the Ditto again, to try this method and see if it is helpful, as I like many other things about the Ditto - the sound quality, the small size, the simplicity, etc. I now own a JamMan Stereo, which I enjoy for its dedicated stop button and its ability to store loops (the stereo input and output has also come in surprisingly handy for me), but it's not perfect either. It seems as if there is no such thing as a perfect looper; they all have their own unique quirks and shortcomings.

17. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2014
    Toronto
    I use the RC3. You MUST use a pair of Boss FSU-5 pedals to get the most out of it and a power supply. The pedals let you stop with a single click, clear by holding down, and advance to the next program location or step down to a lower location. You can also tap tempo from the footswitch.

Why anyone would pay 160 for the ditto X2, when for 30 bucks more you get 100 memory locations with the RC3 I will never know. But we are all different I guess.

Plus the RC3 has USB so you can drop wav. files into it from a sequencer, store your loops, etc...

To me its a no brainer, RC3 all the way.

Boomerangs are $$$$$$$$.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.