Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Basic Loopers: Boss RC-3 or DigiTech JamMan Solo XT?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by FenderGuy53, Jan 6, 2013.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I had no luck with the AQ feature either. If it works for folks, great, but I just couldn't get it.

KT Tunstall explains how to get a good loop, getting a beat going before you tap to record:

2. Froumy

Froumy TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Exeter

3. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2010
    DC

4. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    Colorado
    I watched that video just now but can't hear the sound at work - will watch again at home.

A thought, and a question...

Being able to sync two loopers is a great idea and if it works like I imagine it would, a less expensive alternative to a Boomerang or other multi-loop looper.

What's the drum thing the bass player is using in that video? I could use one of those as I'm a much better drummer with my bare hands than I am with sticks and feet.

5. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Watched the video. Definitely cool. For sure the drum parts (being played back) were set-up prior and every step was rehearsed. Clearly the synched Jammen knew the time sig. and temp (of the master Man).

For a working solo/duo wanting to add backing to the sound, this is going to work very well.

Makes me wonder how well the synch will work free-style. :?:

It seems to be a very different vibe than the Boomerang, where free-style-in-synch is what you want/get.

6. Froumy

Froumy TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Exeter
    From reading the manual, one is setup as a master, and all others become slaves. Same clock. so I think free style is covered, for however many pedals you link. They did have one keeping time, though....

For only having $200 bucks to spend, the room to grow/link is interesting. I have a feeling the ability to expand your existing looper will become common place.

Linking/looping 2 different musicians could really be great for a Duo.

Have no idea what that drum thing is.

7. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

what do you mean by free-style?

i know what it means on the boomerang...but what does digitech do with the term?

8. Cooper Black

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    The Jamman always wants to know the time signature and tempo on any loop. The default is 4/4 and from there the machine will deduce the correct number of measures and tempo based on your playing. :rolleyes:

For short loops this works, but it cannot do this for a loop as long as a typical verse (without me following its click track). So when I turn up the auto-rhythm track it is often waaaaay off because it decided I was playing a different number of measure at a different tempo (than what I actually played).

So I wonder what oddities might come up if a duo were to try something like the video without having already told the master Jamman what time/tempo to think about. The guys in the vid followed the pre-recorded Jamman drum track all the way through (as if it were a click).

All in contrasts the 'Rang approach of x2 x4 x8 multiples of the original.

9. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    Colorado
    Agreed.

The video was a good performance but not an educational product demonstration, in my opinion.

10. popthree

when i hear 'boomerang' and 'free-style' i think one is referring to 'free' play style where each loop is completely independent of the other loops... which is really cool for ambient noise ventures.

what you are describing sounds more like the rang's 'serial-sync' option where all loops sync to the master <loop 3> and can be equal to or multiples of the master.

11. popthree

and it doesn't have to be 2x, 4x, 8x it can be yx

i know mike @ boomerangmusic has received a lot of input on the functionality of his looper, and a bunch of customers want the ability to sync another rang via the midi port... he hasn't ruled out the possibility of making that happen at some point.

12. jamesr

jamesr TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Illinois
    I just found this thread, and am also interested in a sub-$200 loop pedal. Anyone have any experience with the Vox Lil Looper?

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Have you seen the soon-to-be-released TC Ditto?

14. popthree

no experience with it here.. but it looks interesting to me. if the quantize option can be disabled it might be cool. also, if the two 'independent' loops can really be 'independent'...also depends on the functionality of the footswitches...if i see one at the guitar store i will probably test drive it. i don't see the need for the effects... i wonder if those are pre or post loop... i'll assume pre with an option to play 'thru'

the tc ditto looks great to me. a mini rang of sorts.. simple and intuitive.

15. Chairman Meaow

Chairman Meaow TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2013
    amsterdam
    Just took a leap of faith - pre ordered a ditto which Thomaan say will be sent on the 28th and put my RC2 up for sale for the same price.
    RC2 is cool but it digitalises up the tone of what has been recorded and also gives a very slight whistly noise when not in use. Also tried it compared to an RC3 and jamman and they are a total pain in the arse in a band scenario. Hope TC get the analog-thru simple looping concept right first time!

16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    KT has a ball with the Akai. There are a lot of vids of her (and her band) on youtube just playing around loops.

17. Chairman Meaow

Chairman Meaow TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2013
    amsterdam
    Just got home with my TC Ditto.
    Sold my RC2 to fund this and very very very very happy.
    Zero colouration of the tone and so simple it's just perfect.
    If you want a simple looper without needing to store loads of preset loops and samples look no further!!

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Congratulations! Sounds like what I'm looking for, too. Now if it would only appear in North America.

19. Gibouille

Gibouille NEW MEMBER!

Jun 19, 2013
    France
    Jamman XT

Greetings,

I have been owning a jamman XT since January 2013

It's my first looper if you put aside a RC-20 that I had been borrowing for a few months.

I use the rythmic guide a LOT because I don't own a metronome.

I think the Bypass is good

My peeves are :
    1 - only tap tempo, no way to select, say, a tempo of 120 bpm
    2 - when you record a loop and play it at a different tempo (pretty straightforward to do) if you are using a clean sound (my Mambo amp doesn't do saturation) then the sound will be very ugly with clipping
    3 - You can't upload a backing track that lasts more than 10 minutes, most of my miles Davis or Art Blackey tracks are 12ish minutes long
    4 - I have not been able to find out how to fully operate it by foot.Use the "store" function for example.

I still think it is one of the best loopers if you put aside the pigtronics infinity that goes for twice the price (but can handle dual loops in one bank)

20. Cooper Black

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    +1

If your goal is to develop strong rhythm guitar parts, there is no better way to ensure your parts are driving and compelling then to create them without drum back-up.

OTOH if you just want chord changes to solo over, go with Gnobody's suggestion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.