Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Barncaster Build #1

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Doghouse_Riley, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Old man73

Old man73 Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Hartwood ,VA
    I like it ALOT.the blue in the pine looks great. Currios about the knobs what are they from? I really feel like I should know already(jeopardy tune playing in my head)
    are they from a timer switch?

2. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Barn, baby, barn!

The faded blue finish is a keeper. Love the chicken head knobs, although with a barncaster you might want to use real chicken heads. ;)

I went full tilt with mine and included what you might see hanging from a barn wall.

Bought a nice flame maple Warmoth neck used from a guy who ordered the widest, fattest neck he could and then realized he couldn't wrap his hand around it. I guess he didn't own any sandpaper.

The license plate is from my home state and birth year. A happy find on eBay.

TV Jones pickups. I aged the hardware with etchant and wet paper towels as you did.

newneck.jpg

h2odog and Doghouse_Riley like this.

3. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Doghouse, that's a body to make a bishop kick a hole through a stained-glass window.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

4. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    It's been brought to my attention that I never posted a function vid of Barney. Here it is. Playing both pickups into TCE Arena Reverb and my Musicmaster Bass amp;

5. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Welp... you done inspired me. I just sold my last tele... and well I just won this from auction from Moonlaser off of Ebay... lol. You are a persuasive fellow.

[​IMG]

6. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    Did you have any issues with fitting the neck to the body? I have a body from the same Ebayer and a Baja 50s neck. I think the corners of the neck heel are keeping the end of the neck from fully meeting the body by about 1/16. But I don't know if I should worry about it or just piece it together with the existing body/neck holes as is.

7. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Interested to hear that as well from the OP davo... I'm imagining I'll have to do some finish sanding, and fitting with the one I bought but I'll figure that out once I get it (well, once I'm ready to start assembling). I'm pretty sure he routes these by hand so each one will I'm sure need to be fine tuned for exact fitments. That's the great thing about teles though...

8. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    John E: check out jdbunda's build posted somewhere on the forum. He has done a lot of homework with regard to finishing work on these exact bodies. I may even follow it step by step.

9. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Awesome will do, thx dood!

davo8411 likes this.

10. Doghouse_Riley

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I had no issues. Everything fit fine with the Allparts TRO-FAT neck I used.

John E likes this.

11. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    Nice, thx Doghouse! That tele looks REALLY great. Nice job! That neck TMO fat neck sounds really interesting, I'm going to check out the Allparts stuff because I'll likely get most of the hardware there. Honestly though, I have been really thinking about treating myself to another boat neck from Tommy / USACG... I had one on my main axe a few years ago and it was the best neck of any guitar I'v ever owned! (Well, not counting my acoustics)

12. Doghouse_Riley

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I like the All Parts neck so much I plan on putting an SMO-FAT neck on my Strat project.

John E likes this.

13. jdbunda

jdbunda TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Austin TX
    Looking good, I'm all about the barn. Used a black pickguard on mine, but I like the no guard look even better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.