I love the barncaster look so I decided to build one for myself. This will be a blues/country/roots rock machine. This is my first partscaster from "scratch." Before I've taken existing guitars and swapped parts. I'm starting off with a body I got from Ebay from No Moon Laser. It's old pine from a house demolition in MO. He dyed it with some indigo aniline dye and then put some clear poly over that. I love the color of the body as received but it was a little too rough. I want the body to be rustic looking but I still have to play it. I sanded it smooth to 320. This took off most of the poly. I have some clear shellac so I gave it 3 coats. It's drying now. When I get home from work today I'll rub it down with 0000 steel wool. I know I'm "supposed to" put a clear coat over the shellac but I'm not going to. My thought is that this will help retain, and with time enhance, the rustic look. I have a TMO-FAT (rosewood w/U profile) neck from All Parts coming. I'm usually not into relicing but shiny parts didn't seem right so I bought aged parts with the stipulation that I wouldn't pay more than a couple bucks extra over what the part normally cost. My goal was to keep the entire build under $300. I think I'll be over by about $50.