Bareknuckle Pickups for Tele Build

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by KellySA, May 23, 2019.

1. KellySA

KellySA TDPRI Member

I need some pickup advice.

I am currently working on my first build from scratch. It's a tele with chambered alder body with maple top, maple neck with rosewood fretboard, TOM style roller bridge with Duesy trem (Bigsby style). Pickup route is for humbuckers. Picture of build attached, still in progress

I am definately going to use Bareknuckle Pickups, have always been curious about them and have friends that can bring a set from the UK. The sound I am going for is blues and classic rock to slightly heavier (not metal). I like the clarity of single coils alot but want something beefier and more aggresive.

The 3 pickup sets I am currently considering (all Bareknuckle Pickups):
    1. Nantucket calibrated set (P90)
    2. Mississippi Queen calibrated set (P90)
    3. Mississippi Queen neck (P90) with Riff Raff Bridge (Humbucker)
    4. Stormy Monday neck (Humbucker) with Riff Raff Bridge (Humbucker)

Which would you suggest and why?

Attached Files:

41144 and rogb like this.
  2. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

In the USA you have so many choices.
    I would investigate those, really. I speak from experience.
    I'm sure @Rob DiStefano can help you in your quest.

3. KellySA

KellySA TDPRI Member

What is your opinion on using a P90 neck with a PAF style humbucker bridge? I know Duesenberg use this setup and I like the idea of the versitility but don't know how well they will balance tonally.

4. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I really don't know about that combo, I was just commenting on the choice of maker.
    I'm sure others have experience of that pickup combination.

5. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

I really dig Rabea Massaad great player,,very talented kid
    And hes a die hard Bare Knuckle pick up guy,,,,hell he has his own Chapmen guitar signature line and helped design the pick ups and still uses Bare Knuckles in his guitars

But likes been said theres amazing options here in that states might be easier and cheaper in the long run to buy from this continent in the long run
    Big money pick ups and you might be in tight spot if you have an issue with them or you dint like them when you get them
    Wish i could help ya but only thing ive ever herd with them is heavy drop tuned or 7 string playing

Hard to make sure there what you want
    Hopefully someone from over seas can throw in your thoughts

6. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Is it rude to say they sound awful? So much processing how can you hear the pickup? Good player in that style though.
    I had a BK Tele pickup and was speaking from personal experience.

7. Red Bread

Red Bread Tele-Meister

No
    Everybodys different
    Just cause i like it doesn’t mean you have to
    And,,,,just cause you dont like it doesn’t mean its not any good

Like i said thats the only player i know that(which isnt saying much)that really promotes Bare Knuckle
    But he is a UK player
    Not tryn to turn the thread over either but the kids got range maybe youd like this better

8. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

KellySA ... Being in SA .... I'd guess/hope import/range available to you is as good from the UK as from the USA. And, as with most things in life these days, there's just too much choice out there and too many rabbit/black/worm holes to disappear down searching for stuff; so if you fancy Bareknuckles ... Go for it!

No personal experience of Bareknuckle pickups but.... Those Mississippi Queens sure sound tasty :cool:

And, fwiw, mixing a 'bucker and a single coil (P90 might be different?) in a chambered/semi style guitar I've found to be very frustrating getting the electronics right for switching between H and S playing ...let alone both HandS together!
    Perhaps you've already got an electronics plan for this?
    Personally, ended up (on a G&L Blueseboy .. having put in Toneriders as I didn't like the stock ones) with no-load 250k tone pot for playing a neck 'bucker which then needs rolling back c. 33% forthe bridge single coil ...even so in the H&S position, at the no-load setting, it's still darker than I'd like.
    ie. Wish I'd gone P90 in the neck and S at the bridge, no doubt will change it some day ...just now only using the guitar's neck pickup for slide only.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Contact Bare Knuckle. They are great with offering advice, and I would trust them to pick the right pickups for you depending on the description of your needs. Their advice has not failed me yet!

10. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is an amazing combo! I had that in a Corsa Big Dog, sounds great, covers a lot of ground.

11. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Sorry I didn't realise you were in South Africa. I guess UK or USA makes no difference to shipping!

12. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Did you ask Tim from BKP for advice? Not sure if he still does but he was always very fast to reply me a couple of years ago. Just tell him what you’re looking for and what sounds you’re after without actually mentioning any set in particular and see what ge comes up with.

I always had a soft spot for BKP and liked the Mule humbuckers in my les paul back then. I’ve always been curious to see what a set of piledrivers would do in my tele...

13. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I have exactly option #4 in a es 335-style guitar of mine. The Stormy Monday has a "scooped mids" sound which is great for Blues or even that Strat neck pickup sound in humbucker form. I love the SM on that guitar but I will say it limits the range of tones. If you're looking for a guitar that covers a lot of sounds, it might not be the best choice.

I love the Riff Raff and think it has amazing detail in the bridge. I also have a Duesenberg and agree that the p90 style neck, humbucker bridge is a fantastic combo. Due to that, my vote would be for #3 on a tele, I bet it would rip.

14. KellySA

KellySA TDPRI Member

Usually it does not make a difference but luckily I have friends visiting the UK in a month from now that can bring a set back which helps with the shipping costs.

15. KellySA

KellySA TDPRI Member

Thanks for the insights, I am a single coil guy by heart because of the clarity but want a fatter more rock guitar. Currelty I own a tele with vintage wound single coils so it will cover all other grounds that my other tele can't.

Being a single coil guy I am just afraid of losing clarity with humbuckers (I don't have alot of experience with humbuckers) but I am considering humbuckers because I play at a noisy venue regularly (lights and power hum). I love the sound of P90s being fat and clear but the noise might be a challenge.

With your comment on the SM being scooped (strat like) and the riff raff being very detailed it seems to be the better option for a humbucking solution.

I like the tones Tim Mills gets on his Seth Baccus guitar.

That being said, with your Duesenberg, do you ever have issues with the noise or tone differences between the P90 and humbucker?

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

It’s the best combo. #3

Our rhythm guitarist uses a Dusenburg - great tones, perfectly balanced. A P90 neck is perfect sweet tones.

I have several BK pickups, very expensive.

17. KellySA

KellySA TDPRI Member

In SA with all the import taxes and the markups in shops it will cost me the same as ordering a regular (not antiquity) set of Seymour Duncans

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  18. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I have not had any problems with noise or tonal differences, no. In fact, the middle position is by far my favorite on that guitar. That being said, I've never held any ill will towards humbuckers like some people seem to, they just sound different to a single coil, not better or worse.

19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I like the Mules .. But riff raff is cool too. ... A P90 in the neck sounds like a nice idea

20. KellySA

KellySA TDPRI Member

Thanks, great to hear is works well. I've hear an Eggle guitar with a Mississippi Queen P90 and Crawler Humbucker bridge and it sounds great. Thinking the MQ P90 and a vintage hot output humbucker bridge might work wonders and do bridge coil splits well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.