Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Barden saddle replacement.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JD0x0, Sep 22, 2017.

1. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I'm looking for an 'upgrade' on the older style barden compensated tele saddles. Mine are at the point that the allen screw heads are stripping from oxidation and I dont like how the strings can slide around on the saddles sometimes. Since the saddles are angled, this not only affects string spacing, but intonation, as well, when a string moves out of place.

I'm considering something like these, but I'm open to other suggestions that fit my specs.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Gotoh-In-tun...d=172807012450&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

In case my specs are unclear, I want something
    -compatible with the barden bridge (3 saddle style)
    -compensated for best potential intonation (I use 11-50's if that changes anything)
    -Some sort of grooving to keep the strings from sliding on top of the saddles.
    -I'm happy with the tone, so brass, or an alloy that is sonically the same as my current Barden saddles, would be preferable.

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    The Gotohs will work fine and meet all your needs. Marc Rutters made the first compensated in that style that I remember seeing, and he machines them in his shop in the USA. They look much nicer and get the job done just as well, though they're pricier. He also sells them in different combinations of materials to fine tune your sound.

http://www.ruttersguitars.com/Hot_Rod_Parts.html

boris bubbanov and JD0x0 like this.

3. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    +1 on the Rutters. He makes beautiful hardware!

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

JD, part of the reason IMO these strings move around on Joe Bardens is because the slant angle is so great. Your old Joe Barden saddle probably has an M3 height screw and you could tap that brass out to 6-32 and use new height screws, but the slant is still there. The amount of slant on the Fender compensateds from Darren Riley is less and sometimes enough less to eliminate slippage.

The eccentric slotted barrels from Marc Rutters are superb. Some have chrome plating and IMO are a lifetime saddle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.