Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Barbrainy Momento: A Re-fin Project Thing

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Captain Nutslot, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Thank you Mojotron, guitarbuilder for the seeds and Kwerk for watering, You made the celebration bloom. We get to be Sunrays I guess? Time for some photosynthesis? Lol idk I'm making something green.

I see no reason to wait at this point, I got a couple days off and got an itch to start it up.

Barbrainy's 2014 challenge build was torture! I loved it and wanted to hear him play that thing so bad! He just kept finding reasons to not finish it, or refinish it, eventually he destroyed the neck and started that over too... Sadly that build will not be completed.

So as a little momento guitar project, I'm gonna dress this offset up in green. It gives me his Thunderbird vibe a lil bit so that's the plan.

I was a greenhorn when I designed and built it so I guess now it'll have a green horn! How dumb is that! :D:oops:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Seein what I got, Brainy loved his knobs! I'll probably design a pickguard if I desire to decide to make the decision to throw one on there.

Or you tell me, what do I do here, this or that :rolleyes:

DrASATele! Thanks again for the neck, gonna use it here.:cool:

So, let the sanding commence!!

Have fun

- CJ

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016

2. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    I was thinking maybe we were the fertilizer...

Anyway, great idea! You go boy!!

John

3. Captain Nutslot

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY

4. Captain Nutslot

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    image.jpeg Ugh started playing with 120

Arch Stanton likes this.

5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2012
    Dartmouth, NS, CA
    That grain is gonna be so awesome once you sand it back ten times!

sergiomajluf and Captain Nutslot like this.

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

7. GracefulBrick

GracefulBrick Tele-Meister

Oct 7, 2012
    Suffolk UK
    I have a little box I took from his workshop with "Thunderbird" written on it, and I **think** it has some knobs in it. It certainly has SOME sort of usable pieces, that's for sure. It's at work, but I can have a look. Even if it's a small token thing, I feel like it would be super cool to have a little bit of the original in this tribute. I swear to god I heard more about this thunderbird in real life than most humans have the capacity to handle. I am, of course, superhuman. Which he was well aware of.

Would you like me to see if there is anything usable in the box for you? No worries if it doesn't feel right. There's NO way I can give something to everyone making any kind of tribute, but if/when it feels appropriate I'll offer something up. Xxx

nickhofen, kwerk, Barncaster and 3 others like this.

8. Captain Nutslot

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Super cool! Thanks for the offer, we'll see if I can get this body into worthy shape and revisit that gesture.

I'm torn or maybe lazy at the moment on which way to go with this response lol

The innuendo set up is flourishing electric...ouch!

For now I'll just say, thank you kindly! :cool:

9. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 21, 2008
    Seattle
    Nice project, kind of Iceman meets Explorer - the location of the jack is awesome - I like that design.

That little red knob makes me think of this picture from one of Brainy's 2014 challenge build.

[​IMG]

10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Ahhhhhhhhhh :eek: now stop and refinish o_O

Oh man, that's going to be freakin cool!

Glad I could help :rolleyes: again :D

Go nutslut go!

11. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Mind you the first time he called you that in a post I almost ruined my computer with my coffee.

Mbechmann and Captain Nutslot like this.

12. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Very kind gesture to offer your knobs. I'm sure everybody involved in this would love some, but alas, I suppose a girl only has so many.

Carry on Capt'n

13. budgetbuild

budgetbuild Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    virginia
    You know the saying " a bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush" is it the same for knobs?

14. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    How's it going sandy?

Mbechmann likes this.

15. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

He can't type when he sands!!!!:D
    Go Captain ,go!!!

Mbechmann likes this.

16. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

This will be a great tribute!

17. Captain Nutslot

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    thanks guys, haven't gotten squat done this week. It's been a hot sweaty buisy work week and I've been playing nurse for Missy. She went down hard with some tummy issues... Gettin better though.

This weekend I'll break out the shinto rasp and fix up some contours. I'm going to ditch that little block out where the upper strap button lives and blend it into the neck pocket like a normal freakin guitar lol

Also, when I flip the headstock over on to the horn of the guitar, the shapes of the 2 are pretty close. I think I'll be harmonizing those, one way or another...

So basically, no new pics :confused: weak :cool:

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Alright, harmonization, that'll be perfect.

Captain Nutslot likes this.

19. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Great project! Play it loud! It comes just in time for me. I intend to build a P90 Tele, so I have one question. Do those pups fit straight to humbucker holes, or did you have to adjust the wood a little? Thanx in advance...

20. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    And that's a problem because.......??

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.