Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Bandsaw vs Table Saw

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Doyledagain, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2016
    Los Angeles
    OK... So I've been building for a while, and I've got access to a membership based wood shop that has all the toys you could want... But it's about a 30 min drive from me, and I prefer to do most of my work in my (small) garage. The garage shop has a decent assortment of hand tools, but the only power tools are a small drill press and an oscillating belt/spindle sander.

I'm looking to perhaps upgrade, and in that case, I'm thinking of getting either a decent bandsaw or a portable table saw. Which way would you go first? In general, I've always thought of the table saw as your keystone tool. But for guitars, I feel like a band saw might be more versatile.

Any thoughts? I do some other woodworking, but mostly guitars. And like I said, I have access to both these tools if I'm willing to drive a little bit.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    For general woodworking the table saw is your main tool, but for guitar building the bandsaw is more important.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I have a Delta 14 inch bandsaw with a 24" fence. I have a 99 dollar skil table saw in the garage that I've only used twice in 5 years to aid in re-sawing some wood on the bandsaw for walnut acoustics. A tablesaw isn't a necessity for instruments. If I could only have one, it'll be a quality bandsaw. This is obviously a YMMV question though.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Doyledagain and Steve Holt like this.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I have a good table saw and do use it in guitar making, but mostly because it's so good at squaring things up. Like, squaring a neck blank. I use it to cut the nut slot. Other than that it's just useful for producing dimensioned blanks. The bandsaw is much more heavily used. Having both is better!

5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I Myself I'm always using my table saw but I build all kinds of stuff. say you want to build a speaker box or Amp cab you need a TS. I have a 14" delta bandsaw with the 12" riser block. For cutting out the shape of a Guitar a small bandsaw is fine but if you want to get into resewing a 14" is the minimum I would step up to a 2hp (wish I did) What kind of budget do you have?

Doyledagain likes this.

6. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Bandsaw. But we’re talking about guitarmaking, not cabinetmaking. So YMMV.

Think of this: a bandsaw can do what a tablesaw can do. The reverse is not true.

DrASATele and Doyledagain like this.

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

For guitar building - a bandsaw, for sure!

I've got an old 14" import bandsaw that I bought used about 20 years ago for $75 bucks. I didn't really need a bandsaw, but it was too good a deal to pass up and I used it quite a bit for sawing and re-sawing fancy woods for my knife handles.
    About 15 years ago one of the chintzy cast pot metal trunnions that support the table (and allow the table to pivot to 45 degrees) busted, and then a year or two later the second trunnion broke, rendering the saw unusable. The bandsaw then sat, for the next 12 years, unused in a corner of my shop.

Last year, I built my first guitar and cut out the body from a blank with a jig saw. A jig saw works OK, but I soon realized that I already had a much better tool than a jig saw, it just needed a couple of new trunnions! Instead of buying two more new chintzy pot metal trunnions, I just ended up fabricating my own improved trunnions out of steel. Now, I've got my bandsaw back up and running far better and more accurately than it ever did. Nice!

I do have a good tablesaw, but I haven't found a need for it with guitar bodies. Although, I recently picked up some nice maple for my first attempt at a neck, so the tablesaw will get a little guitar building use in the near future. :)

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Doyledagain likes this.

8. tewiq

tewiq Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Granby Qc. Canada
    What Picton said, guitar making = bandsaw

Doyledagain likes this.

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    For guitar (and other purposes) a table saw is the first tool.
    The second is a good router.

Doyledagain likes this.

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    To have both would be good but if you have limited space or a budget then a bandsaw would be the way to go.

Doyledagain likes this.

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    As everyone seems to agree, the bandsaw is more important for guitars, while the table saw is better for pretty much every other type of woodworking. That being said, you can get by pretty well with an entry level portable table saw in the $200-$300 range, but in my experience you need to spend a good bit more for a decent band saw, like at least $800... so they are not really comparable in terms of price point.

Doyledagain likes this.

12. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    sorry.... a band saw can not do what a table saw can do. as others have said, for instrument making... band saw first. for everything else.... table saw hands down. dado, finger joints, long clean rips, accurate cross cut at angles, large panel work etc

router.... properly applied a real work horse. get the one that fits your needs (probably plunging). the down side is if it gets away from you it eats stuff in a heartbeat. if it gets ahold of you... thats very bad. I worked a couple years in a counter top shop & my boss had two claws on his left hand that were the remains of fingers. pretty kool for scarin' the childern though

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Doyledagain and Frodebro like this.

13. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    A woodworking Pro once told me that a band saw should be the last saw that you purchase. My favorite has always been a DeWalt radial arm saw. Very versatile.

14. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I use the table saw primarily for breaking down large stock, like msg sheets for templates. Or like squaring up neck blanks. Its also good for cleaning out a groove on stick prior to a resawing operation.

Doyledagain likes this.

15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    "I'm thinking of getting either a decent bandsaw or a portable table saw"
    Table saw, cutting out body sections, neck blanks, finger boards, getting a nice strait edge, making jigs, fret slots and much more. A band saw is nice but you can cut out a body with a hand held jig saw do the final shape with a router (template and pattern bit) or an "oscillating belt/spindle sander.". The fact is both Table saw and Band saw would be best and 5 Routers

Doyledagain likes this.

16. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have a table saw and 2 bandsaws.......and find myself going to my scrollsaw more often than not.

Doyledagain likes this.

17. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I suppoze we are talking large bandsaws.
    That would typically be used for large bulk purchases of raw wood, where say you intend to make several necks or whatever, then it goes to joiners and planers. Kinda has to have the extra tools.
    In short, bulk to save money, and you can split larger halves with a large bandsaw.
    Ideal for quartersawn.
    If you are building one guitar a year or whatever, I would just purchase smaller wood and go with a table saw.
    A unisaw, ideally.
    Covers most cabinet shop needs, too.

Doyledagain likes this.

18. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    1 of each please:D

Doyledagain likes this.

19. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Hard to make jigs without a table saw to dimension the lumber. If you're making guitars, then you know how to make stuff out of wood. You'll want to make/modify shelves, cut out a piece of plywood on occasion, and generally do woodworking where a table saw is the center of the shop. Roughing out body blanks on a jigsaw is not the only thing that's done in a guitar making/repairing shop.

Doyledagain and mattgwvt like this.

20. mattgwvt

mattgwvt TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Norfolk, Va
    A bandsaw, with a good fence can do many things a tablesaw can do. I've got a cheap craftsman bandsaw and the fence sucks. The blade wanders even if perfectly aligned, with new guide blocks. Still a valuable tool for cutting bodies and necks.

Doyledagain likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.